how long until physical symptoms go away? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-10-2008, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD2 is 5 weeks old and was having symptoms of allergies, so I started taking things out of my diet to see if it would help. So far we're dairy, soy, egg, and tomato free. 2 weeks free of dairy, 4 (or is it 5? can't remember...) days free of the others. Her colic is almost completely gone the past 2 days, shes gone from screaming in pain 90% of the day to having 1-2 little bouts of painful gas a day and otherwise being a totally mellow baby, its truly amazing! : However, she still has a red allergy ring on her bottom, as well as a bumpy red diaper rash (this has cleared almost 50%, so it is getting better not worse but its still there), and "allergic shiners" under her eyes.
How long until these symptoms go away usually? And if they don't soon should I be cutting out other foods even though her colic is gone? Also,her poops are yellow (have been the whole time though after I ate a lot of soy they were darker with some green the next day) but not seedy and with a bit of mucous. She hasn't pooped at all today (is that normal? to poop once a day or every other day in a baby this young? Shes gaining great, nursing great, plenty of wet dipes....) so that was as of yesterday (day 3-4 of soy free).
Thanks mamas, this is a very new adventure for us.....

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-10-2008, 09:37 PM

That is fantastic! I'm so glad that you're seeing such an improvement in that short period of time.

Dairy sometimes takes weeks and weeks to completely leave the system, so it could just be some remaining dairy. Otherwise, you might consider taking out gluten too- it's often an overlooked allergy trigger.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 6 Old 08-13-2008, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

ARGH!!! We were doing soooo good, the rash cleared minus a tiny patch on her thigh, she was so mellow and calm yesterday, slept great last night.....I wake up this morning and we're right back in it I looked over everything I ate yesterday, no hidden soy or dairy anywhere. Could it just be her system clearing out still? We're 2 weeks dairy, 1 week soy and egg (and tomato). Her red allergy ring came back big time tonight too, yesterday it looked lighter....
sometimes I wonder if I'm just imagining all of this or I'm somehow just a little insane or something. I just want her to feel better
I've just been lurking here reading all these threads for guidance because I feel very lost like I have no idea WTF I'm doing or watching for. Her ped is no help and acted like she'd never heard of a baby reacting to allergens through mom's milk I called an ND and have a free consult with her tomorrow, but to actually have her seen is 200 bucks we SERIOUSLY don't have (we're very low income, no savings or anything either...)
ugh, sorry for the vent, I'm just frustrated.

#4 of 6 Old 08-13-2008, 11:21 AM

My DS would get the allergy ring two days or so after I ate something bad. So, looking at the previous day only wouldn't have given any clues. And then it usually took 4 or 5 days to clear up. Corn is something else to consider (along with gluten as changingseasons mentioned.) Keep a detailed food journal.. it sounds like you have taken out most of whatever is causing trouble and a journal might help you pinpoint if you still have something left in there.

Hang in there mama... you are doing great!!!
#5 of 6 Old 08-13-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom View Post
My DS would get the allergy ring two days or so after I ate something bad. So, looking at the previous day only wouldn't have given any clues. And then it usually took 4 or 5 days to clear up. Corn is something else to consider (along with gluten as changingseasons mentioned.) Keep a detailed food journal.. it sounds like you have taken out most of whatever is causing trouble and a journal might help you pinpoint if you still have something left in there.

Hang in there mama... you are doing great!!!
What did you eat over the past two days? I agree that you should look at corn.
#6 of 6 Old 08-13-2008, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

heres the thing, my DH supports me in whatever I choose to do, but everyone else (and likely him as well secretly) thinks I'm crazy for even thinking its food allergies to begin with. She doesn't have skin issues like excema, no blood in her poop, not a big spitter (though I HAVE noticed the connection between spit up and food, she spit maybe 3-4 times a week her first few weeks until I cut out dairy, and then no more spit up at all until she reacted to the soy I had a week later, she spit up twice two days later, and then nothing since), shes gaining weight great, doesn't have nightime sleep issues, etc etc. However, she had awful, all day screaming colic that subsided within 3 days of taking out dairy, and then came back 3 days later when I ate some soy frosting and even worse (with the awful bumpy red diaper rash covering her whole diaper area) when 2 days after that I had a soy milkshake and a tofu dish, so I took out soy, the rash went away, and 6 days later the colic was almost 100% gone. Yesterday I wouldn't go so far as to call it colic, but it was certainly a trying day, you could tell her tummy was aching, and the red allergy ring came back so it was obvious (a day or two before it had faded where I really had to look hard to see it , now its bright red again). Her eyes never changed, which makes the doubting part of me wonder if her eyes are just like that? I don't see why they would be though, she looks like she has a sunburn or like shes sick kind of.
in this pic you can see where it starts at her nose, but the lighting kinda takes away from the purpleish coloring under the eyes http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r...irthday011.jpg
in this one you can kinda see how far over it goes
http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r...irthday004.jpg
those were both taken with a really nice camera too, so thats pretty much accurate color and everything.....does that look to you like what "allergic shiners" means? That was before we cut soy, but they still look like that now, maybe a tiny bit lighter....

I don't know, I guess I just want reassurance that this is working and that I'm not crazy for cutting out all these foods....even our ped thinks its nuts, she just kept saying "some babies just cry" or "have you tried gripe water or gas drops?"

I really hope this ND can help us a little, even if just to reaffirm to me that it IS food bothering her and that what I'm doing is helping.....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page