does my baby have a leaky gut or do I? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-13-2008, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've just been reading a bit about leaky gut syndrome. my breastfed baby has food sensitivities so does that mean I have a leaky gut or does he have a leaky gut? is this where antibiotics can come into play? my DS has been on antibiotics since birth (almost 5 mo.) started having stool issues at 8 weeks. has gotten better since i cut dairy soy and gluten but not completely better. so could the lack of good intestinal flora have made his gut leaky in such a short time?
#2 of 6 Old 08-13-2008, 06:57 PM

Both.

Babies are naturally born with a leaky gut, so that BM can be processed through quickly. As they mature, the gut lining closes up. Antibiotics also can do damage, and make the lining more leaky, or keep it from tightening up.

You also probably have leaky gut, if your LO is reacting through your BM. Normally, your food is broken down before it ever gets to your BM... but with leaky gut, larger proteins are getting through, going into your BM, and then causing a reaction in your LO (because LO's gut is also leaky and can't filter those large proteins.)

Check out my blog (link in sig) for more info about all that.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 6 Old 08-13-2008, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Both.

Babies are naturally born with a leaky gut, so that BM can be processed through quickly. As they mature, the gut lining closes up. Antibiotics also can do damage, and make the lining more leaky, or keep it from tightening up.

You also probably have leaky gut, if your LO is reacting through your BM. Normally, your food is broken down before it ever gets to your BM... but with leaky gut, larger proteins are getting through, going into your BM, and then causing a reaction in your LO (because LO's gut is also leaky and can't filter those large proteins.)

Check out my blog (link in sig) for more info about all that.
THANK YOU (again)! checking your blog now.
#4 of 6 Old 08-13-2008, 07:02 PM

Didn't even realize that both threads were yours....

#5 of 6 Old 08-14-2008, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

your blog is great. its nice to finally see all of this info in one place.

i have only recently heard of leaky gut, but i am feeling that i likely have it. from the info i've seen i have several of the symptoms and it just makes sense that this could be effecting DS.

when you say antibiotics can keep babies gut lining from tightening up, do you mean the antibiotics themselves cause it, or the overgrowth of yeast and lack of good flora caused by the antibiotic?

and is it weird that i know suspect everyone in my family has a leaky gut? i'm starting us all on probiotics and i am taking digestive enzymes as well and remaining on my restricted diet.

which brings another question. i am assuming i should continue to restrict my diet as long as i am breastfeeding. even if i heal my gut my DS will still react to the foods that his body has created antibodies against, even if those foods are properly broken down by my body, am i thinking right?
#6 of 6 Old 08-14-2008, 09:24 PM

Thanks!

The antibiotics cause kill off good bacteria, which causes an inbalance... and then the yeast or other bad bacteria take over and cause damage.

I don't think that's weird at all. Everyone I know that has a health issue, I start thinking about how it is gut related, and how they could fix it.

Supposedly, antibodies are only active for a certain period of time. That's why a lot of people recommend a rotation diet. The premise being that if you only eat a food every 4 days, you will make antibodies but they will have died off by the time you eat the food again, so you will never have a reaction. A rotation diet did help us sort out some of our bad foods... but 4 days was definitely not long enough for the antibodies to die down in DD or me. But I think that if you keep the food out of your diet for 6-12 months, as well as doing gut healing, you can definitely consider reintroducing foods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page