What allergies can cause/aggravate bedwetting? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-20-2008, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had problems until I went to college, so granted maybe it was stress/relational related (I had an accident 5 years later when I was living on my own and my folks came to visit.) But nothing in the 4 years since then we've I've gone to see them, they've come to see me. So I was just reading this article about asthma which mentioned asthmas being food-related and it mentions bedwetting and made me curious. Does anyone know?

I saw a doctor when I was 19, and he was no help. My mom scared the bejeebers out of me by suggesting having her OB stretch the urethra. Even as a 12 yo, I was like how in the cuckoo's name is that supposed to help?! She's regretted not just taking me and not telling me. She did have me quit drinking milk for a month, but I'm know we didn't eliminate ALL dairy(cheese, or traces).

Anyway, in all the stuff I've read about bedwetting, I've never seen anything suggesting food allergies.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#2 of 9 Old 08-20-2008, 11:10 PM

Is This Your Child? by Doris Rapp talks about bedwetting in relation to food intolerances. My DS wet the bed at night until we took him off ALL dairy. He had been on and off milk since birth and kept changing symptoms. When I took it out completely, the bedwetting went away completely. But bedwetting may be a symptom of any food intolerance and you just have to figure out which food. Start keeping a food journal....

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 9 Old 08-20-2008, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

well, fortunately I don't have any bedwetting problem anymore, but my mom always thought it was because I hated her. I don't altho' we don't get along the best, but what a guilt to live with for years, altho' I mostly brushed it off with, "Gee, Mom, you think I want to do this? As if it's not embarrassing to me, and I rarely went to sleepovers.

I wish we'd known to do a food journal. The weird thing was, the entire year I went to second grade, I didn't wet the bed. I had milk and PB on crackers for lunch most days. I just wish I could go back and figure it out. I think I want to nix the whole it's-because-you're-mad-at-me theory.
ETA: Which might be partly to prove her wrong.: And to know why.

#4 of 9 Old 08-20-2008, 11:50 PM

My son has a corn allergy and when he's had corn he has to pee ALL THE TIME, which means he often wakes up urgently needing to go to the bathroom and rarely making it there in time.
#5 of 9 Old 08-20-2008, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, I do have corn allergies (runny nose when I eat corn chips or Oreos, not so much other stuff) and hay fever, but then why would I have outgrown it in college? I did have intermittent accidents thru my freshman fall.

#6 of 9 Old 08-21-2008, 12:37 PM

there's that whole allergy barrel theory. Where you may be able to tolerate milk as long as there are no other aggravating factors, but if you're having milk and it's also ragweed season and you have ragweed allergies, then your "barrel" is full, and you overflow (have symptoms). Simplistic example, but hopefully you know what I mean.

Do you have food intolerance symptoms now (eczema, poor sleep, depression, chronic pain, IBS, etc.)? Because it just may be that you changed symptoms and it was a food intolerance that you're still feeling the effects of now....

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#7 of 9 Old 08-21-2008, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, except for hayfever, I'd say I'm very healthy. I do have yeast issues, but not vaginal infections except when pg. Sometimes I do have congestion, but whenI quit milk for a while it seemed to go away and comes back when I'm around mold or cats. I'm constipated or almost most of the time, but I contribute to the yeast.

#8 of 9 Old 08-23-2008, 03:31 PM

Sugar/yeast.
#9 of 9 Old 08-23-2008, 05:28 PM

Yeast can definitely cause bedwetting. I know when my yeast is bad I will 'leak' a little when I sneeze or cough.

We create our own reality.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page