Thinking of starting 6 yr old gf/df - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-26-2008, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been thinking about My3Monkey's thread about her dd and thinking of trying my dd age 6, Allison, on a gf/df diet. I've talked to her about it and she is willing to try it.

She was 8 bls 12 oz at birth and sank quite low on the weight percentiles, getting down to 10% at one point. She was diagnosed with asthma by age 2 after having been hospitalized at age 4 weeks with RSV, and having many trips to the ER with breathing retractions by age 2. She has been hospitalized for an asthma attack once and on oral steroids a number of times.

At age 6 months she got so constipated, on breastmilk only, she was started on a perscription similar to musilalex (sp?). She had already had to have an enema once. Over the next two years, every time we tried to wean her off of her perscription she got constipated again. She is off of it now though.

She frequently complains of stomach pain.

She has been seeing a pediatric pulmonologist since age 2, and although he had her tested for cystic fibrosis (my that was fun) he has never bothered to test her for food allergies or intolerences. I called there office when my new baby was riddled in eczema, only to have the nurse there tell me there is no cure for eczema - they wouldn't help me at all. I've since taken my baby to a clinic called St. Paul allergy and asthma, so at least some believe there is a connection. I wonder if my older dd had been going there if they would've tested her for food allergies.

What has really made a difference for little sister age 11 months is my going off of wheat and dairy (in addition to gut healing regime).

Allison is so thin, and is shorter than would be predicted based on parents' heights. She has purple circles under her eyes. She is struggling again with asthma symptoms after a recent cold. Just seems like we don't have a lot to lose.

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#2 of 5 Old 08-26-2008, 01:52 PM

That sounds like a really good plan, and it's great that your dd is willing to do it. Good luck! I hope your see some great improvements. I'm always amazed at how many report that their various ailments have gone away after eliminating gluten and casein. Keep us updated!
#3 of 5 Old 08-26-2008, 03:46 PM

It can't hurt to try, right?

It sounds like she's on board. Just be prepared for 3-5 days of CRANKINESS i.e. withdrawal. Maybe keep her updated on it and remind her that it's hard for her body to finally clear out the dairy and gluten that it's been fighting so hard against.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#4 of 5 Old 08-26-2008, 06:03 PM

This sounds very much like ds1. So many of the ailments you describe, he had also. Most (imo) were probably his dairy allergy. However, his testing does also show a gluten-intolerance. He was only "breastfed" (pumped and bottlefed) for 3 months
Good for you for seeing the connection and taking the plunge, Tracy. If you need any help, just let us know!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#5 of 5 Old 08-28-2008, 09:40 PM

I am thinking of doing this for my 7 y/o ds as well. He has asthma,and milk products aggravate his symptoms. (Then out of the blue,I was thinking about food allergies for some reason or another.) He says he's itchy about 1 hour after eating dinner. And it came to mind that since he was little he complains he's itchy at bed time. Now this never caused alarm due to the fact he has vitaligo.

Until recently. I have been reading (thanks MDC) about how gluten and dairy allergies can cause mood swings,behavior issues,congestion,and all sorts of illnesses.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page