New, with possible allergens in 4 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2008, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
I'm a long time lurker on this board, and now really feel I need some help.

I have an almost 4 month old son and I'm noticing some problems and I'm too tired and stressed to be able to sort through the wealth of information that is on this board... please help me if you can.

Symptoms:

Small, mild eczema on his leg (2 patches that started about a month or so ago, and a new patch that just showed up a few days ago)

Cradle cap that started when he was almost 2 months old

Lately - very fussy/needy (not hungry, dry etc.) More than normal, hard to calm.
- for the first time since he was a newborn he has been waking from his sleep crying (like something is making him uncomfortable, I just can't figure out what. It doesn't happen everytime, and it's not always the same time/location)

Very forceful gas (him not me!!)

Mucous in his stool (mostly yellow/ dark dark green in colour) Although today when I changed him after he had a poo I noticed one HUGE glob of mucous (no other poop) like the size of a golf ball (poor guy)

Factors I think play a part:

- c-section - antibiotics
- mastitis at 1 months - antiobiotics
- mastitis now - antiobiotics (for what it's worth, this was my 7th time with -- mastitis and I've only needed the abx 2 times, I just couldn't beat it this time!!
- Giving Udo's choice probiotics while on abx both times (until today, after learning it's not a good one afterall) I bought a new one by SISU... any good?
- I'm currently experiencing looser bm's (sorry for the TMI)
- I developed thrush on first round of abx (he never showed symptoms)
- He received vacc's at 2 1/2 months ( Pentacel - I'm in Canada) This was a decision I had made on my selective/delayed schedule, but now my new schedule will involve, no more vacc's until further notice....

Things I have tried:

Dairy/soy - gone when he was a couple of weeks old (I don't consume obvious sources, but haven't been vigilant about not obvious sources.)

Sugar/Yeast products (inc. bread) - gone since first round of abx. Sugar extremely limited (e.g. apples, sugar cane in my cereal)

Wheat - I only eat kamut/spelt flour wraps, and I eat granola cereal, and a multigrain cereal. I eat quinoa as well.

I take probiotics (which unfortunately does contain dairy)

I use an All Purpose Nipple ointment for the thrush and I go tanning (hey it helps! and I have a great tan ha ha!)

I am at maximum stress/exhaustion right now (dad works 12 hour days and no other help is available)

Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 10:32 PM

You poor thing! You've both been through a lot these past 4 months. It sounds like your gut and your baby's gut could really use some attention. I would get some non-dairy probiotics. Kirkman's is the brand I use and it's worked very well for us. Pro-bio Gold for you and Bifido Complex for your baby (bifidus infantis is the strain found in a baby's gut, so that's why the different varieties). Since your ds is reacting to foods through your milk, that would point to your leaky gut. I would start on high vitamin Cod Liver Oil, digestive enzymes with every meal and bone broths or glutamine for gut tissue repair. There are other supplements, but those are the vital ones, imo (if you look at the "resources" sticky above, there is a thread about what allergy moms are doing for gut-healing).

There are various probiotics for yeast, and hopefully someone can chime in about that. We used a product called Threelac that really worked, but recently someone posted an article that took issue with Threelac. So, you might want to research the pros and cons. Personally, for short term usage, I thought it was very useful.

Good luck
Old 08-30-2008, 02:30 AM

Mucus could mean yeast or an allergy causing his gut to overproduce mucus in order to protect itself. It's possible that golf ball was in response to getting a food protein he really reacted to.

What about eggs?

Doesn't APNO contain an antibiotic and a steriod too? I would stop that.

For you, take Candex or Candidase for yeast AM and PM on empty stomach. The enzymes dissolve the coating of yeast cells. It's pretty gentle and very effective. Do not stop when you feel better, keep taking them for maintenance.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the responses.

A couple of questions...

I'm having some trouble finding the Kirkman's probiotic here in Onatario (Mississauga to be exact) Does anyone know where I can get it?
(Whole foods doesn't carry it, and I've checked a couple of small health food stores)

Yes the APNO does contain a steroid and abx. Should I just do the GSE rinses instead?

I'm still on the abx.. until next wed... is it okay to start the candidase etc. now? (I mean do I have to take it between abx doses like the probiotics.) And does it need time between the probiotics?

I don't think it was eggs. I haven't had eggs (or egg products )in a week and when I do eat them I haven't noticed any obvious symptoms (like I did with dairy)

I will check out the sticky - thank you. My little guy shad a 4 hr stretch of sleep last night... who would of thought that would make me happy!!

I might have more questions if that's okay??
Old 08-30-2008, 12:09 PM

You can only get kirkman's from www.kirkmanlabs.com

I agree with Jane about a possible food allergy. The abx, c-section and gut damage are oftentimes precursors. If you look in the sticky, you can find out about elimination diets that help you identify allergens.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmum View Post
Yes the APNO does contain a steroid and abx. Should I just do the GSE rinses instead?

I'm still on the abx.. until next wed... is it okay to start the candidase etc. now? (I mean do I have to take it between abx doses like the probiotics.) And does it need time between the probiotics?
GSE also reportedly kills good gut flora too but others say it works excellent for yeast. Probably in conjunction with probiotics. I personally would be very careful about killing off everything all at once with multiple guns. That is why enzymes are so attractive to me and personally they were very effective, within days, I didn't use any nipple treatment at all.

I'm spacing on if antibiotics effect proteases. I don't think the proteases in Candidase are killed off by antibiotics. The cellulases would not be.

More info on using enzymes here:
http://www.enzymestuff.com/conditionbacteria.htm
You might ask this question on Karen's Yahoo group or just give them in between. Most imporant is an empty stomach, otherwise the enzymes will just work on food.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:43 PM

And of course it's okay to have more ?s
Old 08-31-2008, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Okay so I've got a bit of plan and some more questions..

Food for the next week

Turkey/chicken/pork
sweet potato, butternut squash
green beens
spinach
carrots
apples, pears
avacado
spelt flour/kamut flour
quinoa/brown rice/wild rice
rice cakes
olive oil/coconut oil

I'm giving up my beloved morning cereal...

Supplements

Going to order the Kirkaman's Bifido complex for my baby
Pro-Bio Gold for me
Cod Liver Oil for me
Candidase for me

Questions:
I'm lacking in Omega's...
I was going to take Flaxseed oil but I'm reading conflicting info for breastfeeding mama's. Also I have major problems with oversupply (hence the mastitis 7 times) so I'm a little nervous about taking a lot of flax... is that silly?
What should I take for calcium supplements?
What should I take for Omega's?

How does all of this sound?

Thank you for your input!
Old 08-31-2008, 03:11 PM

Well, you should be getting enough omegas from the CLO. What are you reading about the flax oil? I'm curious, because I just starting using it... we can't do CLO, and I need to get my omegas too.

For calcium- I found one from TwinLabs that doesn't have any allergens in it.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:53 PM

We take Evening Primrose Oil in addition to CLO.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Completely forgot to buy the cadidase when we were out.

Some of the flaxseed oil info I found...
http://www.cureguide.com/Natural_Hea...xseed_oil.html[/EMAIL]

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fla...tient-flaxseed[/EMAIL]

Oh dear... I'm afraid I don't seem to know how to make the above links work

Kellymom says it's okay, but doesn't know whether it will increase supply (something I have to avoid)

If I'm trying to eliminate possible allergens, are there any other Omega supplements I can take?

User Tag List