Allergy testing on 17 mo old. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-03-2003, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just recently referred to a pediatric allergist for my dd who, at the time of the appointment, will be 17 months. Does anyone know what I might expect? The person I spoke to earlier mentioned doing skin testing (scratch testing) at the appointment...I was a little surprised. I didn't think they did that to babes.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it effective with children this age? Any advice.

I appreciate your help.

--Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 11-03-2003, 06:07 PM

Ask about a new blood test. I can't remember what it is called, but could look it up. My dd had that done and they could test for a whole list of food allergies with one small blood sample. They can also test for animal/airborne, etc. allergens as well. It is a blood draw, but I guess since my kids do okay with blood draws I'd rather do that than a scratch test. The first time I took my dd in to the allergist she was 18 months. He was such a jerk about her not being vaccinated that we really didn't even finish the appt. She was 5 when we did the blood test (a few months back). Her doc (a GP) told me about this new blood test, so we did it. No allergies, but still strange digestive stuff going on.
#3 of 4 Old 11-03-2003, 07:52 PM

How about NAET treatment??
It's a great, non-invasive effective way to assess and treat all kinds of allergies in infants, children, and adults.
Here's a website w/ info:
http://www.naet.com

From the NAET website:

"Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Techniques, also known as NAET, are a non-invasive, drug free, natural solution to eliminate allergies of all types and intensities using a blend of selective energy balancing, testing and treatment procedures from acupuncture/acupressure, allopathy, chiropractic, nutritional, and kinesiological disciplines of medicine. One allergen is treated at a time. If you are not severely immune deficient, you may need just one treatment to desensitize one allergen. A person with mild to moderate amount of allergies may take about 15-20 office visits to desensitize 15-20 food and environmental allergens. Basic essential nutrients are treated during the first few visits. Chemicals, environmental allergens, vaccinations, immunizations, etc. are treated after completing about ten basic essential nutrients. NAET can successfully eliminate adverse reactions to egg, milk, peanuts, penicillin, aspirin, mushrooms, shellfish, latex, grass, ragweed, flowers, perfume, animal dander, animal epithelial, make-up, chemicals, cigarette smoke, pathogens, heat, cold, other environmental agents. NAET was discovered by Dr. Devi S. Nambudripad in November of 1983. "
#4 of 4 Old 11-03-2003, 10:24 PM

I would be hesitant to do a scratch test on a small person. Besides the fact that it may be difficult & uncomfortable, they can be innaccurate & unable to predict up to 50% of food allergies.

I agree that a good NAET practitioner or anyone who is really skilled at kinesiology will be able to discover all allergies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page