Slight white coating on part of tongue? Allergy thing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-08-2008, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like EVERY stupid little thing might have a food connection - I hope that's not always the case because I think it stresses me out for no good reason. Anyhow...DD has had a bit of white coating on her tongue for about a week and I don't know why. The entire thing isn't white but more than half. Sometimes it takes on the color of food, like she just ate avocado and now the parts that are white have a green tinge to them. She also has had a red rash on her anus - not a full "allergy ring" but more on just one side - and I'm wondering if they are related. She is also teething really badly and not sleeping at all so I'm having a hard time teasing out various symptoms. Any thoughts?

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#2 of 10 Old 09-08-2008, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Sounds like thrush.

Seriously?
#3 of 10 Old 09-08-2008, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Could be. No other symptoms that I am aware of in either of us though (the diaper rash is not a yeast rash - I know what those look like because she's had a few before). I've definately be eating more than my fair share of yeast-contributing things however (damn, that sweet tooth).

#4 of 10 Old 09-08-2008, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMary View Post
Could be. No other symptoms that I am aware of in either of us though (the diaper rash is not a yeast rash - I know what those look like because she's had a few before). I've definately be eating more than my fair share of yeast-contributing things however (damn, that sweet tooth).
You don't have to have yeast both top and bottom and likewise only one of you could have yeast or you could be non symptomatic.

Seriously?
#5 of 10 Old 09-08-2008, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Some amount of white coating on the tongue can be normal and it will take on some of the food color for a bit. I think it tends to get a bit thinner as the day goes on. My HCP is an acupuncturist and TCM does a lot with what the tongue looks like.

http://www.sacredlotus.com/diagnosis...index.cfm#coat

I found this site helpful with my husband (we're now working long-distance with my HCP). It's descriptions rather than pictures (pics would be cool).

ETA: I'm assuming this is a recent change, but I think things like this can change with the changing seasons. Sounds weird when I write it, but too much of this stuff seems to correlate to what actually happens with us.
#6 of 10 Old 09-08-2008, 07:54 PM

Elena had the white coating on her tongue for quite awhile. I was convinced it was thrush and called the pedi who called in a script for nystatin. Well, we kept treating the tongue with nystatin and the white coating didn't go away. Finally, I had her at the pedi for a well baby exam and mentioned that the thrush wasn't going away and the pedi looked and said it wasn't thrush. She didn't offer what she thought it was, just that it wasn't thrush.

Fast forward a few months, in the mean time I had been dealing with the ED and we got to baseline and I realized one day that Ellie's tongue was no longer white. Around the same time there was a thread going on here about geographic tongue. Having no idea what that was, I did a google image search and found a lot of weird looking tongues that had no resemblance to Ellies. But I also found some images like this that really looked a lot like what Ellie had:
http://www.entusa.com/oral_photograp...hic_tongue.jpg

Further exploration of the geographic tongue thing led me to discover that it is often associated with allergic people. Ellie gets it once in awhile, but mostly doesn't have it.

That same thread also brought up crustiness behind the ear, which prior to that I had noticed on Ellie but not known that it was related to allergies (just an aside in case the ear crusties are your next source of stress. ). Apparently it is a bit of excema. I'm not sure why this remains when we've been at what I consider baseline for quite some time with only the occassional exposure.

Hope this adds a piece to your puzzle.

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
#7 of 10 Old 09-08-2008, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Yeah, I really don't think it's thrush. The pic Laurie linked is way worse than DD's tongue so I actually feel a bit better. We've been at baseline (or at least what I've been thinking is baseline!?) for quite some time now although she does continue to have a tiny bit of dryness/crustiness behind her ears. This is just one more thing that is making me want to get her ELISA tested in case I'm missing something.

#8 of 10 Old 09-08-2008, 09:15 PM

could she be sick? I have a sore throat and mild head cold and my tongue is currently white.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#9 of 10 Old 09-08-2008, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think so but I do believe her intense teething has impacted her overall immune system because she had back to back colds recently (2 days break in between). She is also not sleeping and so her body, in general, is pretty run down I think.

#10 of 10 Old 09-10-2008, 03:08 PM

So I've been thinking about the ear crusties since it came up the other day. I'm wondering if the oats in dd's shampoo, or possibly one of the ingredients I can't pronounce that are "vegetable" derived (interestingly, I called the company and they couldn't tell me which vegetable on a few of the ingredients) could be causing the crusties.

Up 'til now I've only been worried about what went in our mouths.

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page