Mothering Forum banner

keratosis pilaris

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Wugmama 
#1 ·
Let's talk about this

It's the pimply chicken skin condition a lot of people have on the back of their arms.

When I cut out corn while nursing my dd, my kp suddenly cleared up. Then, after she weaned, I went back to my old diet. The kp didn't come back too noticeably. I started to notice it again after (maybe a little during??) my pregnancy with my newest lo. So, since it seems that he's reacting to wheat and eggs, I cut them out, and whatdya know? My kp is suddenly gone again.

So, in thinking about the white bumps and slight roughness my allergic dd has to her skin, I googled and came back around to kp. Apparently, there is a form of it called "alba" which I think is what my dd is dealing with. (It's not red and pimply).

Anyway, kp is an overgrowth of keratin. And apparently, part of the problem is a vitamin A deficiency/absorption, which a lot of us food allergic/gut healing people are also dealing with.

So I wonder if I cut wheat of my dd's diet, if her skin would smooth out. And if it would help her heal and absorb more vitamin A. Since I'm gf now, it shouldn't be hard to take her with me

Anyway, here's what I googled I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had experience or thoughts about this.

See less See more
#2 ·
My dd had that appear right after her eczema appeared. It took a lot longer to go away too. It is finally gone now but it really bothered me because I knew her body was still out of whack somehow. It was almost like little tiny plugs in each pore.

She was GF for a few months before the eczema started to clear and the bumpy skin stayed for much longer than that. I think it's worth cutting out the wheat to see what happens. If you're already there you might as well or else you'll just keep wondering.

#4 ·
I guess the bumps hung around for maybe 4-5 months after the eczema started to get better. But we were still being really strict with diet and doing other healing things too, working on getting rid of yeast/bacteria and all of that fun stuff.

I think it was all over her body but most pronounced on her torso. If yours went with the wheat gone, there's a good chance hers would to I would imagine.

ETA: I'm thinking now maybe it was longer than that, like 6 or 7 months.

#5 ·
Interesting. I posted a thread on kp awhile back. My oldest ds has it quite pronounced on his face. We've tried going dairy free with him but it was only briefly and not strictly, never any other dietary things. The other kids have a few spots on their cheeks too but just mild by comparison. I think you may be the 1st people I've heard say diet can make a difference.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurieG View Post
Interesting. I posted a thread on kp awhile back. My oldest ds has it quite pronounced on his face. We've tried going dairy free with him but it was only briefly and not strictly, never any other dietary things. The other kids have a few spots on their cheeks too but just mild by comparison. I think you may be the 1st people I've heard say diet can make a difference.
If you read the link, the person that cleared hers up cut gluten, dairy, and sugar and added carrot juice (vitamin A) and omega 3s. Both of those, you'd get with a high vitamin clo.

#7 ·
I've read that KP is caused by a deficiency in essential fatty acids, so CLO would definitely would be good. Flax seed oil would also be something to add. As far as eliminating, gluten and dairy would be the first things I would try, since they are so hard to digest for so many people.

#8 ·
I have heard it linked to vit A before and I thought vit D (but my memory could be faulty). I was thinking that I had read that it was often better in the summer because of the increased amount of sun we get- thus vit D. I had it before, actually for as long as I could remember, but added clo(high vit) and it went away. My diet was not free of anything then. It seems it did come back for a bit, but I think I had also ran out of clo. Currently my arms are clear and I am df/gf but now out of clo again- (thanks for the reminder that I need to order some more)!! Actually, my arms are looking very nice and smooth.

#9 ·
Years ago my dh started an anti-dairy kick for our family, which we never were able fully to do because we were addicted to ice cream and pizza. But at any rate I remember an article he gave me to read about the evils of dairy. One woman was talking about how she was able to do it, and said that the red bumps on the back of her arms went away.

I guess I've had those too, but I don't right now. Interesting!

~Tracy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.