Mothering Forum banner

What makes baby poop smell like vinegar?

69K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Liea 
#1 ·
I finally got DD to where she's only pooping 1-2 times per day instead of at every single diaper change so it's starting to get seedy, but it smells HORRIBLE. I've been trying to figure out what it smells like and it dawned on me today: apple cider vinegar. Ick. What would make it smell like that? Her poop is still full of mucus.

We started probiotics last Wednesday and were doing a traditional TED minus the meat but using sea salt, black pepper, brown sugar, and cane sugar. We've since added in carrots, apples, butternut squash, yellow squash, and tilapia.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellasmama2007 View Post
if im not mistaken, yeast overgrowth leads to vinegar-smelling poop. you may want to consider cutting out the sugars from your diet since sugar feeds yeast.
That's what I thought originally, but I can't find a source that says that. Everything just talks about the poop smelling "yeasty" and is definitely not a yeast smell. It's icky vinegar. I was thinking of cutting out sugars anyway to see what the effect would be so I may try that next week if it hasn't changed by then.

#7 ·
Well, if yeast is the case, enzymes given directly to my DD cleared up her yeast problem (she had other symptoms - I didn't know the vinegar smell was a symptom of yeast). She got them for about 2 weeks and that was it.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
I don't think it's from yeast, specifically. Everything I've read points to gut flora imbalance or bad bacteria/yeast of all kinds that are in greater numbers than they should be. The smell, I believe, is from their byproducts.
So do you think I should be doing more than giving her probiotics at this point? I started myself on probiotics and enzymes as well. She's only 3 months old.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
I wouldn't give her anything but probiotics. Just make sure you're taking supps yourself. It takes a while to heal. Are you still identifying problem foods in your diet?
I just started on supplements and was waiting until next week (give DD some time to adjust to her probiotics) before changing anything else in my diet. She got congested when I started the probiotics/fish/carrots, but her bum rash is gone and she's not fussy like she was before the TED. I thought maybe the congestion was a result of the probiotics doing their job and killing off some of the bad bugs. More work to be done!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.