Allergies & Dairy: Dare I say anything? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-06-2002, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone out there ever experienced the "walking on eggshells phenomenon" with family concerning the detrimental effects dairy has on a kid with allergies? I have a niece, always ill and conjested, (just diagnosed with Croup) and YET.... mom and dad are clueless about the issues of dairy and allergies. They consider milk a necessity in her diet and cheese/yogurt are staples too. Normally, I wouldn't say a word since it's none of my business, but this poor child never has clear lungs or a dry nose. Full time day care doesn't help. I can't believe their Pediatrician hasn't suggested cutting back on the dairy. My MIL is also a nurse, so I'm doubly guarded with sharring anything I've learned. Anyone who can relate and forward suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
#2 of 4 Old 04-07-2002, 02:24 PM

You know, most "mainstream" healthcare professionals aren't even aware of the allergy problems that dairy can be associated with. I would mention it gently to the parents in a non-threatening way. (You know, I was just reading about how undiagnosed dairy allergies can sometimes lead to symptoms like your daughters") Or if you think they would take it better coming from your mom, work it into a conversation with her. Maybe they have just never heard of this- our society pushes dairy so much there is rarely any mention of the problems it can cause.
#3 of 4 Old 04-08-2002, 12:00 AM

I agree with the previous poster. We believe DS has a mild allergy to dairy, but our doc keeps poo-pooing us because his symptoms are not traditional or "major." (They're major to us, of course, because vomiting is involved.) We are looking for an alternative provider who can help us root out the problem.

However, given that they think milk is so essential, it might be hard to win them over. There's lots of evidence in health research and even in the mainstream press these days about how milk isn't so great for everyone. Maybe you can dig up an article from a reputable source, and bring it up in casual, gentle conversation?
#4 of 4 Old 04-08-2002, 03:28 PM

I think you might suggest they see either a very good ENT doctor or a pediatric allergist.

For all we know, it might or might not be dairy. Might be household allergens, or both.

Constant congestion is serious business. They need to check is she's a mouth breather. Putting a tape recorder at night next to her and then taking the tape to someone who knows what she or he is doing, may be helpful.

It's weird they are completely unaware of dairy allergies, which are number 1 cause of allergies in the US. This is nothing new, one mainstream source I'd browse and get print-outs for them is American Dietetic Association, both for factual information and a practical resource if they decide to adjust their diet . www.eatright.org

Saline drops and checking humidity at home are an absolute must for congested kids, as are exercise, time spent outside etc. Daily book reading with the child on adult's lap, adult sitting on the comode in the bathroom with the door slightly ajar and hot shower running, can also be very helpful. Informed dietary modifications, saline solution, exercise are all safe and might take care of it.

Still I'd suggest taking her to a good wholistic (in the proper sense of the word) practitioner who would look at the whole picture. Neglected case as you describe it might mean ENT surgery down the line, not that it's the end of the world, but better avoided.
I did not understand though what you meant -- she never has clear lungs?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page