sub. for xanthan gum--arrowroot?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-15-2008, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I use arrowroot flour (startch, powder, whatever it's called!) as a substitute for xanthan gum? My ds is gluten free and we're now working on corn free. They didn't have any guar gum at Whole Foods so an employee there recommended arrowroot. Thanks for your help!

Or would it be better to make a gel from flax and water? I need it when I'm baking muffins and making pancakes. I really hate experimenting cause I hate wasting all this food!

Kristin, momma to Cade (11/01) and Camden (7/09) . Wife to Jeff and lover of Jesus.
My life in smilies:  treehugger.gifhomeschool.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gifvbac.gifdishes.gifwash.gifmodifiedartist.gifsewmachine.gifreading.gifgeek.gifphotosmile2.gif
#2 of 3 Old 10-15-2008, 04:47 PM

For pancakes, I either use flax-gel to replace the egg or leave it out. I make buckwheat pancakes. For muffins, I use flax-gel (1 Tbs. milled flax + 3 Tbs. hot water -- put in microwave for 1 minute or let sit for 10 minutes). I have recipes on my website if you don't want to experiment too much. We're gluten free, corn free and more. Though if you're only gluten and corn free, you can use egg in either of those.

Arrowroot powder is equal to tapioca starch or cornstarch, in terms of thickening. Arrowroot has a slightly sharper taste than the other two.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 3 Old 10-15-2008, 05:07 PM

I use hot water and flax seed in my pancakes. Works fine. I have never waited 10 minutes, so it might work even better if I have the patience to follow those directions!

Do I need to get xantham gum for other baking, like an attempted cake or cookies?

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page