POLL: Have any of you "grown out" of airborne allergies? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Have you ever "grown out of" an environmental allergy?
Cats 3 50.00%
Dogs 0 0%
Dust Mites 3 50.00%
Mold 1 16.67%
Pollen 3 50.00%
Other 7 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-22-2008, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering if adults ever stop being allergic to airborne allergies, so I'm posting this poll to see if it's actually happened to any of you.

I suddenly became allergic to dust mites and cats two years ago, and I'm hoping that someday I may become "not allergic" to them!

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#2 of 12 Old 10-22-2008, 03:21 PM

hmmm... I wouldn't say I've grown out of mine (or maybe I have?)... but I moved across the country and they are about 99% better than they were. I was in the midwest, where my allergies suddenly appeared; now I'm in the Pacific NW. Even the dust doesn't bother me out here as bad.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 12 Old 10-22-2008, 03:49 PM

I marked "other" because I didn't completely outgrow my seasonal allergies, but they are very tolerable now. When I was a child, hayfever season was unbearable. Now I don't even need allergy medication on most days.
#4 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 01:34 PM

Yes, i grew out of my seasonal allergies. But it happened after I stopped consuming ALL dairy foods, including trace amounts.
#5 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 01:44 PM

I'd never had seasonal allergies, except one year in college where I had the worst hayfever one spring. After that, even in the same town, I never had it happen again. It was weird.
#6 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
Yes, i grew out of my seasonal allergies. But it happened after I stopped consuming ALL dairy foods, including trace amounts.
How long after you eliminated dairy until you experienced relief from your seasonal allergies?

I've been dairy free (even trace amounts) for about 10 weeks now, and have experienced no improvement.

I was half hoping that our TED would improve my allergies as well...

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#7 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 02:52 PM

I have had terrible allergies to dust, pollen, animals, trees, and many other things since I was a child. I usually take lots of medication to control it (and to control my asthma which is triggered by my allergies) and I have had allergy shots on and off for 20 years. If I didn't take my medication I would be absolutely miserable all year round, but worse during fall and spring. About 2 months ago I went off all my medication and stopped taking shots while on a TED (and I'm still on the TED). I am so surprised that I am not miserable and my allergies are minimal! It could be that I grew out of it but I doubt it because I've dealt with this for 30 years and was always miserable when I stopped taking medication (and I've tried many times). So I think it was being on the TED and eliminating something from my diet that was triggering it. I also have been working with a homeopath and that could have helped also.
#8 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 08:29 PM

I grew out of all the animal allergies I had as a child, but not the hay fever. I "grew into" my athsma in early adult years. That remains despite almost 2 years dairy free. It may be slightly less severe...hard to say because of all the hormonal changes around pregnancy and nursing.

Momma to one small person I call Smoodgie :joy.gif
#9 of 12 Old 10-25-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooticky View Post
How long after you eliminated dairy until you experienced relief from your seasonal allergies?

I've been dairy free (even trace amounts) for about 10 weeks now, and have experienced no improvement.

I was half hoping that our TED would improve my allergies as well...
When I hit about August, which is when I start getting really bad, I had been dairy free for about 4 months. It is hard to say when I really started feeling relief, that is just when it became obvious, since it is my worst time of year.
#10 of 12 Old 10-28-2008, 12:10 PM

I have been dairy and wheat free for years and I am still allergic to everything, lol. I was just re-tested and am allergic to all trees, grasses, weeds, mold, dogs, cats, nuts and shellfish. I have not outgrown any of them as I have been allergic to these things all my life.
#11 of 12 Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I haven't ougrown my seasonal allergies- I'm not sure exactly which items I'm allergic to, just that it's generally worse in the fall and spring and better in the summer and winter.

My seasonal allergy symptoms are much milder and managable when I'm not also dealing with dairy-related congestion at the same time.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#12 of 12 Old 10-28-2008, 01:12 PM

My pollen allergies have only gotten worse, so you could say I've grown "into" them. Same with most of my family.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page