ketones in urine - what is the smell like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-02-2008, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH often says that my diet is like the Atkins diet. No dairy, eggs, wheat, peanuts...And that got me thinking tonight.

Several times in the past month, I've thought my urine smelled strange. No, it's not asparagus or any other veggie. I do take a pre-natal vit, a B-vit, iron tablet, and usually an oil supplement (fish or EPO).

I can't describe the smell. SOMEtimes the bathroom smells like cat...but we don't have a cat and don't interact with them (allergies). So I think that might be me. But then again, I think that some laundry detergents smell like a cat box, and even though most of the detergents we use are natural, we also have a jug of free-&-clear All.

OK starting to ramble.

If it is ketones, I think I should worry, right? I'm already underweight.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-02-2008, 01:06 AM

Ketones smell sweet in some people and like fingernail polish remover in others.

You can get ketone strips at the drugstore and check.
#3 of 11 Old 11-02-2008, 02:50 AM

what would ketones in your urine mean?
#4 of 11 Old 11-02-2008, 03:15 AM

You are metabolising fat. Or you're in ketoacidosis. Or you have a metabolic disorder. Or you are ill and under stress. Or you are dehydrated. Or you fasted. It can mean probably more things than this.
#5 of 11 Old 11-02-2008, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
You are metabolising fat. Or you're in ketoacidosis. Or you have a metabolic disorder. Or you are ill and under stress. Or you are dehydrated. Or you fasted. It can mean probably more things than this.
Well, yeah. I'm kinda doing a lot of those things by default. I guess the metabolizing fat worries me most, given that I'm already underweight.

I was convinced a week or so ago that the searing pain in my rear and down my leg was my muscles degrading. Of course, the chiropractor helped with it, so it's not likely that my muscle was degrading. Or maybe it was.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#6 of 11 Old 11-02-2008, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The pain sounds like sciatica. I had ketones in my urine today (no different smell than normal) because I was dehydrated. It was 4pm and I realized that I hadn't eaten or drank anything that day. I think once in a while ketones is a lot different than perpetual ketones.

What else are you avoiding? My kids are avoiding most of those plus a host of others, and their urine tests have always been fine (I have test strips so I do random urine tests on them -- what a fun mother I am!)

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#7 of 11 Old 11-02-2008, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Metabolising fat doesn't automatically mean that you're metabolizing body fat. If you eat a lot of fat, that can cause ketones in your urine as well.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#8 of 11 Old 11-02-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
It was 4pm and I realized that I hadn't eaten or drank anything that day. I think once in a while ketones is a lot different than perpetual ketones.
I agree with the latter, but the former is because you fasted and were dehydrated.
#9 of 11 Old 11-02-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Metabolising fat doesn't automatically mean that you're metabolizing body fat. If you eat a lot of fat, that can cause ketones in your urine as well.
Where did you read this?
#10 of 11 Old 11-02-2008, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
Where did you read this?
Low carb website. There are plenty of people who use those urine test strips for ketones regularly, and some of them report finding ketones even when they're not losing weight. Burning fat can cause ketones, whether it's from body fat or dietary fat.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#11 of 11 Old 11-04-2008, 01:14 AM

I don't think that is correct. Metabolising fat will cause ketones. If one is on a low-carb diet, it is ketogenic---ketone causing. This does not mean that excess dietary fat will cause ketones. And just because one is metabolising ketones does not mean one will lose weight.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page