our oncologist appt :( - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-23-2008, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No, she's in my neck of the woods. She stays! I need a doctor that actually knows something!! She's probably laughing at all of us and thinking what a bunch of crazy ladies!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
No, she's in my neck of the woods. She stays! I need a doctor that actually knows something!! She's probably laughing at all of us and thinking what a bunch of crazy ladies!
she would be right
Old 11-24-2008, 12:34 AM

FF, where are you studying? And what will you be graduating in? Dh and I have looked at the herbal and nutrition programs with Clayton College, but I don't know what other options exist.

Maybe you can teleconference (or whatever they call it when you hook up a camera and talk via the internet), so it won't matter where you live!
Old 11-24-2008, 01:18 AM

lol-you all are too funny.

I do some consults online and over the phone, but time is precious at the moment! I do have a waiting list for the time intensive things, but I am still doing flower essence consults as well as a few other things. I will be taking patients over the phone in some instances once I am in practice. I was skeptical, but I have seen it work really well so I'm more open about it now!

If you are looking in the healthcare field I can definitely let you know what I know about the online options. At least I can tell you about the ones to stay away from and let you know the ones that have the highest credibility. I'm so thrilled that there are so many thinking about pursuing this!

I'll say upfront though that although the big program focuses on many aspects my passion (and the reason for the post-grad diplomate) is homeopathic medicine and the spirituality of health. It's what I have seen be the most effective and the most profound. I can't say just yet, but my vision for my practice is homeopathic medicine and nutritional support. I have no real interest in doing the ND thing as it's just not how I understand vitality. I don't see people having alot of success across the board with the alternative allopathic approach. It's still heroic medicine for the most part.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:08 AM

firefaery- I was honestly just thinking about all this a couple hours ago, and I was going to post a question asking about your schooling. weird.

What exactly is your degree program?

I have NEVER had an interest in the medical field in any way... and was thrilled to be accepted to law school, as I thought that was my dream. But just after being accepted, I found out I was pregnant and decided to wait until DD was born to start school. Then when it was time to start, I was torn- more than I have ever been in my life- about what to do. I really wanted to go, but I just could not for the life of me make the decision that I should go. I finally decided to do it, and made it through one quarter before I figured out that DD's and my health was just consuming too much of my time and energy. There was no way I could do both.

And now... I'm learning so much. I have such a new found respect for my body, my food, the earth, and how those things all work together... and I want to know more. I felt like as an attorney, I could be an advocate for people. But now, I'm starting to think that there might be another way for me to do that.

All of this stuff lately has really got me thinking- why was the law school decision SO hard for me to make, when it was really something that I wanted to do? Maybe some force was trying to delay my decision because that wasn't really the path that I was supposed to take. I don't know... I'm rambling now.

So anyway- I'm curious what programs are out there, and I've actually started looking around online. So ff- if you have any good directions to point me, I would appreciate it!

Sorry to derail the thread even more...

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:58 AM

CS - I can understand how you feel. I am a lawyer and have been practicing for 10+ years. I used to feel so passionate about my work and I do still enjoy it, but I feel I am so much more passionate about healing and nutrition, and now it makes law seem so inconsequential. Maybe it is because healing is new to me and so personal, but if I was younger I could definitely see it as a career path. It's so hard right now to focus on my job when I would rather be researching and working on healing DD. I think it's great you took some time to focus on DD and figure out what you really want to do! Law school requires such a huge commitment and IMO is not worth it if you don't know if you really want to practice.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:56 PM

Even more OT: but you ladies could help change the laws which are restrictive for alternative health providers, due to the AMA monopoly on health care. My understanding is the AMA at inception, had a specific intent to discredit homeopathy as "unscientific"...

Oh, and I just have to put a plug in for "unschooling", which is what you all are doing while living and learning without school.

I'm with Firefaery that health is a spiritual path. Most Americans see doctors as god, all knowing experts about someone they don't know...or bother to listen to even.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Even more OT: but you ladies could help change the laws which are restrictive for alternative health providers, due to the AMA monopoly on health care. My understanding is the AMA at inception, had a specific intent to discredit homeopathy as "unscientific"...

Oh, and I just have to put a plug in for "unschooling", which is what you all are doing while living and learning without school.

I'm with Firefaery that health is a spiritual path. Most Americans see doctors as god, all knowing experts about someone they don't know...or bother to listen to even.

Pat
I've actually been thinking about how to make an impact on the laws, and on what is covered by health plans. Part of my job is dealing with health plans and I think I do have an opportunity to at least be heard by some corporations on the issue. If you have any ideas on the issue let me know!
Old 11-24-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
I've actually been thinking about how to make an impact on the laws, and on what is covered by health plans. Part of my job is dealing with health plans and I think I do have an opportunity to at least be heard by some corporations on the issue. If you have any ideas on the issue let me know!
Actually, I believe the corporation is more impactful at change, than the government. I love your access and opportunity.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:38 PM

ellasmama - what's the verdict? Did you get your test results back? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a low eos count!!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
ellasmama - what's the verdict? Did you get your test results back? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a low eos count!!

:

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

hey everyone!!!!! im so excited, my eos were down to 2300 from 5221!!! i cant even tell you how happy i am because it certainly buys me more time from having to wean dd!!! (if we have to at all). i am going back for another cbc on dec 15 and the oncologist said that if my count is down to 1000, we are in the clear. he is still concerned and not nearly as happy as i was, actually i think he was a little disappointed? i guess i wound up being less interesting than he had hoped.
i explained to him everything we have all been learning about the vit a/d/c connection and he seemed very sceptical initially, but a little more accepting of it as the appointment went on. he reiterated how correct he was in telling me to lose the supps and how "vitamins can ruin medical treatments." he then ended the appt by telling me he was seriously concerned for dd and that we should do a cbc for her and scope her as soon as possible for eosinophilic disorders. he said to me "you should really try to find out what is wrong with your daughter. you know, eosinophils are dangerous. they can make the cardiac tissue fibrous and have detrimental effects." that really took the wind out of my sails.
well, at least i might not have to keep stressing about weaning dd. if my eos keep coming down ( no more clo for me this year!), hopefully i can let her wean herself. i dont want her to wean at all, but they have to come wwwaaaayyy down to stop having a negative effect on her.
ok, there is my report. now please continue the ff/homeopathy love fest
Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 AM

Spectacular. I have a big huge smile!! :

He is just fear-based, not trust based, like we are.
::

Yipee!

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

your post made me laugh. i love the mooning smiley, im just childish like that
Old 11-25-2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasmama2007 View Post
your post made me laugh. i love the mooning smiley, im just childish like that
Actually, that is the icon I went searching for, and all the others jumped into the party.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:42 AM

Oh, that is such good news!!! I'm thrilled to hear it!!!! : : : : : : :

Have Ella's eos levels been elevated too on her bloodwork? (Would it show in her blood if she had EGID?) Don't let that guy burst your happy bubble. This is fantastic news.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:49 AM

How wonderfully fantabulous!!!!! I'm thrilled! Look at you go, mama! :::

I'm SOOOOO happy that you didn't give up any of your lovely perfect bone marrow!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:55 AM

: : I'm so happy for you!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 AM

yay!! I'm so glad it came down!!! :

BTW, my LLL leader is trying to contact some of the LLL professionals for any info on breastfeeding babies with EGID. I'm not sure what she'll come up with, but shes taking the request "to the top" so to speak....
So, while I'm WAY lost in the rest of the conversation I'll let you know if she digs up anything good regarding that

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
Old 11-25-2008, 05:30 AM

HOOOOORAY! That is so awesome! Aren't you glad you waited on that biopsy?? We really DO have to trust our guts and not be led by fear!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:43 PM

Yeah!

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 11-25-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=changingseasons;12677725]

Have Ella's eos levels been elevated too on her bloodwork? (Would it show in her blood if she had EGID?)quote]
we havent had her levels done because she is on gastrocrom to try to help with the allergies and that med would suppress eosinophilia. so if we did bloodwork and her eos were normal, that would either mean that they are normal or just being kept at bay by the gastrocrom.
also, elevated eos and egid do not go hand in hand. my understanding of egid is that the eos all gather around the tissue of the digestive tract, different areas for different specific types of egid, and that the serum levels arent always increased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
I'm SOOOOO happy that you didn't give up any of your lovely perfect bone marrow!
me and my bone marrow....so happy together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mama moose* View Post
BTW, my LLL leader is trying to contact some of the LLL professionals for any info on breastfeeding babies with EGID. I'm not sure what she'll come up with, but shes taking the request "to the top" so to speak....
So, while I'm WAY lost in the rest of the conversation I'll let you know if she digs up anything good regarding that
oh please, that would be wonderful. as glad as i am that my eos are going down, it brings us back to thinking ella has the egid. i was kindof hoping that my eos levels would be connected to her allergies and that maybe her allergies would resolve if i found treatment for myself. now we are thrown back into the whole leaky gut/yeast/reflux vs. egid/reflux question.
last night, i slept from 12am to 2am because i tried casein-free clarified butter (ghee) and she was totally abnormally hyper all night. i tried it because i watched that whole movie on food as medicine and he said that cooking with polyunsaturated oils can be carcinogenic and to only use lard, butter or virgin coconut oil. evoo is my only oil source so i was praying that the ghee might work. not so much. now im afraid to try the nonhomogenized goat yogurt i bought.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:31 PM

ellasmama,
I have read that scoping for EGID is not always conclusive. They can scope a section that doesn't have many eos, or miss it entirely, or there are just lots of variables. Before I went that route, I would be asking myself, if she had it, what would we do with that information? If you are able to get help from an alternative minded HCP that would know what to do about it anyway, and there are non-medical things you could do about it, you might have more options of things to try first. Just sharing one perspective.

Sometimes I think they just have to dx stuff, but then there isn't much that they do differently, so why all the tests?
Old 11-25-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
ellasmama,
I have read that scoping for EGID is not always conclusive. They can scope a section that doesn't have many eos, or miss it entirely, or there are just lots of variables. Before I went that route, I would be asking myself, if she had it, what would we do with that information? If you are able to get help from an alternative minded HCP that would know what to do about it anyway, and there are non-medical things you could do about it, you might have more options of things to try first. Just sharing one perspective.

Sometimes I think they just have to dx stuff, but then there isn't much that they do differently, so why all the tests?
:

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

i agree with you. i had no interest in having her scoped, but i am concerned that we are doing more damage than we realize. i have talked with a mom here whose dd has egid and she waited to scope until she was 4.5 y/o. she said by that time, so much damage had been done that her daughter lost all safe foods...i dont know the answer, i just keep want only what is best for ella
Old 11-25-2008, 11:32 PM

Have you looked into finding a homeopath yet? That could be a huge breakthrough for her.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

i am going to try an nd about an hour from me. we dont really have a homeopath anywhere near me, as far as i know ( i live in new port richey, fl). i wanted to get all of my blood results and everything back and then go for a consult. i just told dh last night that i would like to go and he agreed that i should get another opinion. ill give a call next week
Old 11-27-2008, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

i just want to wish you all a wonderful and happy thanksgiving! you have all been incredibly supportive and caring towards me this year and especially these last few weeks, i can not thank you enough. i am so grateful for your hearts, your wisdom and your patience
Old 11-27-2008, 11:39 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to you!!

Old 11-29-2008, 06:56 PM

I'm going to be reviewing all the vitamin A toxicity/vitamin D deficiency stuff. I'm extremely concerned. Please keep me posted Ellasmama!

Twinlab has said they do not strip and add back vitamins. But what concerns me most is that the labels might not be correct in terms of vitamin D content due to when they fish (in winter vs. summer). I wonder how often they check vitamin content if this is the case.

User Tag List