vitamin k - what brand and where? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-06-2008, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
our hfs has k1 ( by itself and k2 mixed with d3. i take the d3 seperately and need to find a good k2 by itself. also, anyone know what kind of dosage is good for teeth for an adult and a 3yo?

thanks!
#2 of 13 Old 12-06-2008, 09:40 PM

High vitamin butter oil is the only way to go. www.drrons.com
Spendy yes, but certainly lots less then dental bills.
I have regrown all my enamal, and have one major cavity that is almost fully healed.
I have been taking it for only 8 or 9 weeks.
We drink only raw milk as well, which is why mine have healed so fast.
Calcium is actually available in raw milk. It is one of the dead bodies left in pasturized milk.
Paula

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#3 of 13 Old 12-06-2008, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

i have some of the butter oil in capsules. it's just so expensive - i can't afford to take it all the time. also, dd can't take capsules and the butter oil in the jar was not well-received. i read good things about Thorne k2 drops. i just don't know if they're expensive.
#4 of 13 Old 12-06-2008, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We use Thorne's K2. Google online for the best price, I've purchased from several places, I think it was about $50-55 for a bottle the last time I ordered. Using about 15 drops/day (for the family) it lasted about 2 months.

The vitamin k yahoo group has info on upper limits (safety/toxicity type info), but my personal opinion is that most people will see good results on far less than the upper limit they use (they're doing specific stuff, stuff I am not).

I give my 5yo daughter 2 drops/day (divided) and I think that is plenty--if I had another child who needed a similar amt (my son is younger but needs much more, he is odd) I may even try to divide that, so it would be 1/2 drop 2x/day.

ETA: 1 drop is 1mg (1000 mcg) so it is potent.
#5 of 13 Old 12-06-2008, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

wow! i never thought to check yahoo groups about specific vitamins! i think i'm going to look for a K group and a D group. :

tanyalopez, did/do you take the k2 drops for tooth issues? if so, how has it affected the teeth?
#6 of 13 Old 12-06-2008, 11:45 PM

The vitamin k yahoo group is mostly focused on autistic kids who have (or mostly used to have) oxalate problems (were on low oxalate diets due to difficulty with their kidneys dealing with the oxalates, is my understanding) but there are various other people who hang around. They're nice about answering questions and I've found good info searching past threads. Look at the files first, lots of info there.

I didn't start it for teeth stuff, I started because when I started giving cod liver oil to my son (who I had clear indications was deficient in A and D) he started getting nosebleeds, and I eventually put the pieces together. I have noticed, though, that he has really nice looking teeth--crowded (we've got long term deficiencies we're working on) but the color is really pretty, and we haven't had any cavities, which has surprised me given our nutritional deficits. Other folks in the vitamin k yahoo group have noticed improvements in dental health including cavities healing with the addition of Thorne's K2. My daughter's teeth are not so pretty in color, I have more work to do improving her digestion, so I think that is a factor for her.
#7 of 13 Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 PM

We can't do butter oil because we're gfcf...I bought some Jarrow MK-7 K2 (made from Natto extract) about a month ago at a local HFS.

I'd love to know other's opinion about this form of vitamin K.
#8 of 13 Old 12-10-2008, 12:25 AM

I'm going to use a mix of both, an MK-7 supp (forgot the brand) and Carlson's MK-4 K2 supp, for myself. I like the Thorne for dosing the kids, it's easy, and it's the same form that Price was using for dental stuff, but personally I think people are supposed to get both--I have no idea what kind of ratio, or if it's really flexible. I know there's more discussion periodically on the yahoo group I mentioned, I skim it but haven't really memorized it, but they also have Chris Masterjohn's article that discusses the two forms a bit. Sorry, I'll go away now, that was not very useful.
#9 of 13 Old 12-10-2008, 07:42 PM

hey ladies!

Do you have a link to the yahoo vitamin K groups? I can't seem to find the forum.

Thanks in advance,

Sandy
#10 of 13 Old 12-10-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I'm going to use a mix of both, an MK-7 supp (forgot the brand) and Carlson's MK-4 K2 supp, for myself. I like the Thorne for dosing the kids, it's easy, and it's the same form that Price was using for dental stuff, but personally I think people are supposed to get both--I have no idea what kind of ratio, or if it's really flexible. I know there's more discussion periodically on the yahoo group I mentioned, I skim it but haven't really memorized it, but they also have Chris Masterjohn's article that discusses the two forms a bit. Sorry, I'll go away now, that was not very useful.
Thanks Tanya, it was actually helpful. I haven't heard anything about MK-7 on this board and it made me wonder if I had missed something and shouldn't be taking it. I'll check out the yahoo group.
#11 of 13 Old 12-11-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy_sahara View Post
hey ladies!

Do you have a link to the yahoo vitamin K groups? I can't seem to find the forum.

Thanks in advance,

Sandy
Here ya go! And welcome.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/VitaminK/
#12 of 13 Old 12-11-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaoma View Post
Thanks Tanya, it was actually helpful. I haven't heard anything about MK-7 on this board and it made me wonder if I had missed something and shouldn't be taking it. I'll check out the yahoo group.
Hey, I just remembered there's a little discussion in the big Curing Cavities with Nutrition thread, the sticky.
#13 of 13 Old 03-17-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandk0610 View Post
our hfs has k1 ( by itself and k2 mixed with d3. i take the d3 seperately and need to find a good k2 by itself. also, anyone know what kind of dosage is good for teeth for an adult and a 3yo?

thanks!
My mom got my ds Vitamin K from www.elixirs.com [they are in a homeopathic form], tiny and easy to take.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page