what type of anesthesia is usually used for wisdom teeth extraction? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-22-2009, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'd like to google it and start reading about it. do they put you under all the way? what do they use, typically? there are some anesthesia allergies in my family so i want to look into this a little myself before meeting with the oral surgeons on monday.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#2 of 16 Old 01-22-2009, 06:53 PM

I had mine done (years ago) with iv valium (small amount) and novocaine. I'd do that or general perhaps (in hospital) but no way laughing gas because of the risk of the oral surgeon trying to monitor that plus do surgery at same time + risk of bad reaction to it.
#3 of 16 Old 01-22-2009, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan'sMom View Post
I had mine done (years ago) with iv valium (small amount) and novocaine. I'd do that or general perhaps (in hospital) but no way laughing gas because of the risk of the oral surgeon trying to monitor that plus do surgery at same time + risk of bad reaction to it.
yeah, i think those gases are the worst in terms of risk. i know the last time i had general anesthesia, it was all IV, no mask. actually all the times i've had it, it was. i know there's something called conscious sedation, which i think is through IV??

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#4 of 16 Old 01-23-2009, 10:01 AM

I had novocaine for pain and halcion pills for anxiety. Awesome stuff. I was aware but kinda half-slept through the last half of it. I was totally unconcerned with what was happening. "Hmm, I feel a ton of pressue in my mouth, he must be pulling my tooth out now. If I could be bothered I'd tell him. Zzzzz." They took the fear away completely.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#5 of 16 Old 01-23-2009, 06:11 PM

Heya, A. DH had versed. My mother insists I had truth serum (sodium thiopentothal?), but I have no clue. I was 17 and that was a long time ago.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#6 of 16 Old 01-23-2009, 06:30 PM

The only thing I had was a local. I am terrified of going under.I skipped the valium they offered.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#7 of 16 Old 01-23-2009, 11:11 PM

You say you want to research before you meet with the oral surgeon? I would suggest you do it the other way. Talk with who ever you intend to use, a couple if you're not sure. THEN check into what they had to say, and the choices given before you make the appointment and decision.

I thought they all offered choices.
I was given the choice to go under with general, a drug like valum, or just local.
I chose just local. I had it done 3 weeks after the birth of my son, all 4 removed at once. I thought after giving birth I was queen and could handle anything. Honestly, not to scare you, it was worse, and although Im glad I did it that way, it isnt for the squeemish. You may want to have one side done at a time if you think you might have a hard time with it. The recovery would be much easier. I did accept the tylonol3 I was prescribed, and I was glad I did in the long run.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#8 of 16 Old 01-24-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato3cherubs View Post
You say you want to research before you meet with the oral surgeon? I would suggest you do it the other way. Talk with who ever you intend to use, a couple if you're not sure. THEN check into what they had to say, and the choices given before you make the appointment and decision.
yeah, i know once i talk to them more will be clear. but i have a few days to kill before the apptmt so thought i could do some research to be prepared. i'll probably have to get the teeth out next week so i don't have a ton of time.

my mom said her extraction was worth than childbirth! ack! but i'm really not that worried. anesthesia scares me more than pain--percocet works well for me!

#9 of 16 Old 01-24-2009, 03:15 PM

I had mine out ages ago too. They offered me gas but I was afraid to have it. They gave me a sedative through an IV and then used Novocaine.

My extraction was definitely not worse than childbirth. Of course, I had 2 c-sections.
#10 of 16 Old 01-25-2009, 07:19 PM

I had all 4 of mine out at once with IV sedation. I was totally out.

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#11 of 16 Old 01-25-2009, 09:30 PM

I had only novacaine- dr usually did iv sedation, but I requested local only. Way less $$$ out of pocket and my teeth were relatively easy to remove.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#12 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 01:15 AM

Don't be too scared, its different for everybody. Depends on a lot of different factors how uncomfortable or painful it will be. I didn't have any pain at all afterwards. I was really surprised.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#13 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 01:20 AM

I had all four removed last December, and IV sedation was used. My teeth were impacted and I had no desire to smell burning bone. I don't remember any pain, but I took my meds every 4 to 6 hours for a 4 days after the procedure.

+ + =
#14 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 01:23 AM

I have to agree that the extraction of my wisdom tooth was worse than childbirth. I had a local anesthetic and when that wore off, the pain was just crazy!! I was prescribed tylenol with codeine and that did nothing. 800mg Ibuprofen did the trick though. DH went completely under for his and he said the dentist did a hack job. He feels that when you're conscious, the dentist will be more careful.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#15 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 02:19 AM

I chose to be totally out, but 'm a huge wimp when it comes to the dentist...actually, since mine were so badly impacted, rotting and infected, falling aprt, crumbling, they had to literally dig them out, so general was HIGHLY recommended in my particular case, but I would have chosen it anyway...usually, you get a choice between just a local with or without anxiety meds, or general. I had anxiety meds and general..LOL.

CPST
#16 of 16 Old 01-29-2009, 04:02 PM

Mine was impacted, I was not given a choice. However, I chose to ONLY have the one that was bothering me removed, and I am grateful for that choice, recovery was hard.

Insurnace wouldn't pay for IV sedation with only getting one removed, but that was the only way everyone I talked to would do it. :? It was Fentanyl and Versed, iirc?

I went home with Vicoprofin. I only took tiny amounts though, and had enough left over for my recent m/c afterpains and I still have some left over.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page