Glass Ionomer vs. BPA free Composite - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2009, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas!

I am considering some $$$$ work to remove my mercury fillings. This is a HUGE deal for us, because it is expensive, costs more than we have, and involves weaning my almost 3 year old when I really feel that 3.5 years is the ideal weaning age. (May not seem like a big thing but we are a very happy nursing team, also he is very lightly vaxed (which is to say hardly at all) and I like the extra peace of mind BF affords me).

However I was mercury toxed by a lame dentist who bullied me into unsafe amalgum removal, my baby concieved shortly after that miscarried at 10 weeks and so here we are. (I know, I should have weaned after that, but I didn't know at the time and the dentist insisted it was not an issue. )

So basically I don't want it to be replaced with something I regret. I am very sketched about plastic in general. My dentist swears his fillings are 100% BPA free and Flouride free. The glue did taste like a nail salon smells to me, and I generally feel like more bad news about plastic is always just around the corner. However, our drinking water comes through a plastic pipe so, yk, it may be unavoidable anyway.

I know Glass Ionomer contains Flouride right? And then there is the issue that the dentists who use them locally are NOT IAMOT.

Anyone have any opinions on the two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 02:30 PM

Sorry I don't have much info, but ask for a MSDS (material safety data sheet) and see if you can get more details about them.

~Katie
Old 04-03-2009, 03:58 PM

I'm also trying to figure out which filling materials are the least toxic, and I found this: http://www.ada.org/public/topics/fillings.asp

But it doesn't say what the hazardous ingredients are of each choice.

What do holistic dentists recommend?

User Tag List