Fluoride varnish?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2009, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What is this? My son's preschool sent home a note with a permission form for me to allow a community health dental hygienist put "fluoride varnish" on his teeth to help prevent cavities? Says it should be done 2-6 times a year. If I sign this it says I'm giving this person permission to do this for this school year.

I have never heard of this and the little attached sheet just talks about it preventing decay and "good" stuff of course.

other thoughts? (he goes to the dentist tomorrow, I *think* he has his first cavity but I'm pretty sure I'll be told by them the answer is do it....)

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

16 views and nobody can tell me anything? I asked the dentist this morning and he says of course that it is a good thing, but that there's no evidence showing fluoride treatment happening more than 3 times a year to be beneficial.

Given that, and given that the form says I am authorizing them to do it anytime during the school year....and their little info sheet mentions 2 to 6 times a year for treatments...........this is one I'll opt out of.

Though I'd still appreciate if anybody's got any other info on why this is good/bad, in what situations it might be a good thing (versus someone like my son who is 4 and has no cavities/problems.)

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd say no. I wouldn't want things done without me being right there because of safety and to reassure the child and make sure he's treated properly and kindly. With varnishes there is a danger of the child swallowing too much and who knows if they supervise properly. We do not do varnishes. My older dd has some cavities and we have started ACT rinse at night (we also use xylitol and are trying to remineralize through nutrition...dd2's front teeth have completely remineralized with no flouride). So I'd say research doing it, send a note to school saying you DO NOT consent to this, if you want to get it at school (for finances, etc.) send a permission slip for that time ONLY and be right there with your son.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:10 PM

Actually, I think the "varnish" is simply painted on the teeth instead of using the gel trays. I believe there is LESS ingestion involved. My kids prefer this to the trays. That being said...I think I would limit this being done through my kids school unless your kiddos didn't go to a dentist twice a year. At the very least, I would want to be present to supervise and get some info on the products being applied.

me-45, DH-46, ds1-23, ds2-18, dd1-17, dd2-14, dd3-4....hoping for #6.....

Old 02-19-2009, 03:38 PM

I've never heard of anyone doing that at a preschool. Since you asked your dentist about it, I'm assuming you take your child to the dentist. I would be leery of having someone do it at school because what if the dentist ends up doing it too? It seems like it could be too much.

Is this common at all preschools around your area? My kids' elem. school has the Mobile Dentists come in but that is just once during the school year.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:23 PM

DD1 has had hers done at preschool, though I still don't know much about it. There is less flouride ingested than say, flouridated water or toothpaste. Each treatment is supposed to last 6 months, DD has had it 3 times (she's 3.5 years now) and I don't know if we will do it again. She does have perfect teeth, though.

I assume it is common for state-run preschools. It's offered through our health department and the dentist volunteers to go to the school to do it. Basically, the program saves the parents a huge amount of time and the kids are less stressed because a lot of their friends are doing it as part of "dental week." The dentist also counts their teeth and writes recommendations if something is amiss. At DD's school, everything is done in the classroom with all of the kids taking turns and their regular teachers are there, too. If you opt out of the varnish, you can still allow your kiddo to have his/her teeth "counted."

---feeling like an emu on acid---
Old 02-26-2009, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

thanks I might find out specifically when it is and consent to a one-time deal. My dentist said studies have shown maybe 1-2 'extra' to be beneficial,. but not more than that.

ha attends a public preschool where there is a high population of kids who probably don't see a dentist. We are one of the "fortunate" who qualify for state health insurance for the kids that covers dental.

User Tag List