Pediatric dentist vs. Holistic dentist - how to figure out where to take DD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-21-2009, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We initially saw a ped dentist, who insisted on x-rays; DD's cavities are
apparently shallow, and we decided to wait six months and monitor them. The dentist also felt that she was a bit young to work on.

Well, it's now been six months and I'm not sure how to proceed. I know if we go back to the same dentist she will insist on more x-rays. I understand they can't always see the damage via visual inspection, but no way am I comfortable with DD receiving x-rays every six months!

So now I wonder, are we better off having the cavities filled so that we know they're dealt with? This way we can theoretically avoid x-rays every however often to monitor the cavities, right? I do think they may have worsened, too, as the spots look darker (they are between her top central and lateral incisors--her teeth are very closely spaced, basically touching.)

I like the idea of a holistic dentist, but there don't seem to be any that are
pediatric AND holistic. Haven't called around yet to see if the holistic ones
would treat such a young child.

A few more quick questions (this is long-winded, I know!)
1) Are digital x-rays a better option? I still want to avoid them if possible.
2) What would a holistic dentist offer vs a "regular" dentist?
3) What's this I hear about some sort of super-quick, laser way of filling
cavities?

ANY advice is greatly appreciated; DH and I are both totally in the dark here, as neither one of us has ever had a cavity.

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#2 of 10 Old 05-21-2009, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the biggest pros of holistic dentists are: hopefully good amalgam removal protocols (totally irrelevant to you) and hopefully several suggestions on how to heal cavities, things to change so that dental work isn't required. That second one would vary considerably from dentist to dentist.

oops, back later...
#3 of 10 Old 05-22-2009, 12:56 PM

You didn't ask about this, but I'm going to reccommend it anyway.

How old is dd?

We did ozone treatment on our dd and it has worked and is easy, no x-rays were needed, it was $60 for 4 teeth and we have been doing fish oil and lots of raw milk and her decay has halted.

Is there the possibility that you could try a less invasive option before deciding on filings?

I wouldn't bother with a holisitic dentist if you could find one who does ozone.
#4 of 10 Old 05-22-2009, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Glad you mentioned it, because I've wondered about ozone too. I did some research online, but never got anywhere with finding out where it is available.

DD is 30 months old.

#5 of 10 Old 05-23-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acupuncturemomma View Post
We initially saw a ped dentist, who insisted on x-rays; DD's cavities are
apparently shallow, and we decided to wait six months and monitor them. The dentist also felt that she was a bit young to work on.

Well, it's now been six months and I'm not sure how to proceed. I know if we go back to the same dentist she will insist on more x-rays. I understand they can't always see the damage via visual inspection, but no way am I comfortable with DD receiving x-rays every six months!

So now I wonder, are we better off having the cavities filled so that we know they're dealt with? This way we can theoretically avoid x-rays every however often to monitor the cavities, right? I do think they may have worsened, too, as the spots look darker (they are between her top central and lateral incisors--her teeth are very closely spaced, basically touching.)

I like the idea of a holistic dentist, but there don't seem to be any that are
pediatric AND holistic. Haven't called around yet to see if the holistic ones
would treat such a young child.

A few more quick questions (this is long-winded, I know!)
1) Are digital x-rays a better option? I still want to avoid them if possible.
2) What would a holistic dentist offer vs a "regular" dentist?
3) What's this I hear about some sort of super-quick, laser way of filling
cavities?

ANY advice is greatly appreciated; DH and I are both totally in the dark here, as neither one of us has ever had a cavity.

Have you considered homeopathic cell salts for bone and teeth health, and Xylitol? I use the cell salts for my DS's teeth; and at one time [30 months ago he was diagnosed with extremely severe ECC]. He was 18 mos old at the time, now he's almost 4.

My mom researched everything on the web, and came up with a program - thru a lot of trial & error - that we still use today, and he is ECC free!! He's had 1 tooth extracted after falling and breaking the root it developed an abscess that kept coming back. Then we found a gentle family dentist who was able to work with him and the tooth was extracted!

We also use Xylitol quite extensively. We make a rinse using 1 tsp Xylitol plus 2 tsp water [1 tsp = 4 grams], stir it up and wipe on the teeth and throughout the mouth - DO NOT RINSE OFF! We use it particularly at nap and bedtime, it is supposed to be the last thing on the teeth before sleeping.

My mom is really particular about it, so she has been getting the Xylitol candies and gums, sprays and wipes for my kiddos; I take these things with us when we go out anywhere. My kids can go to sleep and still get the protection they need for their teeth.

Check out www.zellies.com, www.epicdental.com, www.xlear.com, all three have excellent information and research about Xylitol.

I do not get anything for advertising their products...
#6 of 10 Old 05-27-2009, 01:44 PM

to find out where there is a dentist near you I would go on the yahoo group, that's where I found all the info I use.

My dd has halted decay and so far we are happy with the ozone and we try and remember to use the xylitol more, we also use the MI paste sporadically, but I just want to say it is totally possible and probable to halt this on your own without drastic dental work. OThers won't like to hear that, but it't true!
#7 of 10 Old 05-27-2009, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks--I did find a dentist near us who does ozone; I have yet to call. Is it safe for a 2-year-old?

And thanks, also, for the encouragement! I actually cancelled DD's ped dentist appointment today, as I think I'd like to take another go at dealing with the decay on our own before resorting to fillings.

We are doing xylitol in her water (and also the drops while brushing), have started using a toothbrush sanitizer, and are still using our brushing/flossing regimen.

Anyone know if there's a way to tell if the decay is beyond the point of "no return"? When maybe fillings are the only solution?

#8 of 10 Old 05-28-2009, 04:52 PM

I would say you tell if the fillings were bad by a few things. Looking at them would tell you something, you can see if the teeth are eroding, if the cavity is deep. Also, is there sensitivity that you notice in DC? I noticed sensitivity in my dd and it has stopped since the ozone, thank GOD!
The ozone is like a miracle, actually. It has no ill-effects AT ALL for any age person and works like a miracle. THe only thing that sucked for my dd is she HATES anything in her mouth or anyone near it so she did cry bloody murder for the one minute that we had to hold her place while they put the tube against the cavities. But it was seriously only a minute and I will be doing it again next month, it sure beats the alternative IMO.
#9 of 10 Old 05-29-2009, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

I don't notice any sensitivity, but the brownish spots (they're small) are looking darker/blackish to me now.

I'll be calling the dentist near us who does ozone on Monday.

Thanks, sisteeesmama, for taking the time to check back and reply!

#10 of 10 Old 06-01-2009, 06:21 PM

Could her teeth be remineralizing? I have read that if the spots turn black that is actually GOOD.

Have you been giving her more fat recently? Or anything else that could be the reason for the remineralizing?

I would ask that the dentist poke the cavities and if they are actually hard instead of soft then they are good to go, no problems because they have remineralized.

Let us know how it goes!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page