Has anyone successfully reversed tooth decay in toddler? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#61 of 75 Old 11-28-2012, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do the arrested cavities look like? My dd has 5 cavities- 1 was on the back molar and was a black dot, which is what prompted me to take her back to a different dentist. The frost said she could see nothing but some enamel erosion. I have been following WP diet and no sugar or grains. The cavity is now an orange color. Could this be good or bad? I have no idea if I am doing the right thing. We have an appointment at the end of January to begin the $2000 worth of dental procedures to fix this but I really wanted to try this first. Any encouragement or advice about the orange color?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 75 Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISDiva View Post

I had to look it up too:

http://mi-paste.com/about.php

Do both versions of the MI paste have fluoride? Thanks :)

#63 of 75 Old 05-22-2013, 03:39 PM

It has been great reading theses forums to know that I am not the only one (or the youngest!!)  I just found out yesterday that my 29 month old has some pretty lovely decay on his front four teeth.  I am 6 months pregnant with our second child and I am sure you can imagine how emotional it was for my.  My poor baby, what have I done to him!!  We go along thinking that we are doing all the right things and then something like this happens......  Thankfully we spent our first night without nursing and it really went well, he is old enough that I could explain to him why we needed to be careful and that we can continue to nurse before and after nap times. 

I have loved reading all the different ways to treat the decay, and I am excited to try.  My mother is a dental hygienist..... so her and her dentist of coarse attacked the night-time nursing (which I am not convinced that isn't the cause), and said start giving him fluoridated water.  I am not going to give him internal fluoride as I don't like the negative research I have done, but I am thinking about trying the MI Paste.  I like the cod liver oil, cell salts, I had someone recommend Evora probiotic supplements for the mouth, aloe vera, and of coarse the change of diet.  Dried fruit seems to be the kicker, as well as juices and fruits.  He loves his fruit, pastas, breads, it will be hard to make the change, but I am excited for the opportunity to expand his diet.  

I heard a lot about raw milk.  Is any raw milk okay?  Should I stay away from nut milks? I know someone had said no grains, what if they are soaks appropriately (quinoa??)  I also am guessing that most raw recipes would be fine since the nuts and seeds are typically soaked overnight? 

#64 of 75 Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Deputy View Post

It has been great reading theses forums to know that I am not the only one (or the youngest!!)  I just found out yesterday that my 29 month old has some pretty lovely decay on his front four teeth.  I am 6 months pregnant with our second child and I am sure you can imagine how emotional it was for my.  My poor baby, what have I done to him!!  We go along thinking that we are doing all the right things and then something like this happens......  Thankfully we spent our first night without nursing and it really went well, he is old enough that I could explain to him why we needed to be careful and that we can continue to nurse before and after nap times. 

I have loved reading all the different ways to treat the decay, and I am excited to try.  My mother is a dental hygienist..... so her and her dentist of coarse attacked the night-time nursing (which I am not convinced that isn't the cause), and said start giving him fluoridated water.  I am not going to give him internal fluoride as I don't like the negative research I have done, but I am thinking about trying the MI Paste.  I like the cod liver oil, cell salts, I had someone recommend Evora probiotic supplements for the mouth, aloe vera, and of coarse the change of diet.  Dried fruit seems to be the kicker, as well as juices and fruits.  He loves his fruit, pastas, breads, it will be hard to make the change, but I am excited for the opportunity to expand his diet.  

I heard a lot about raw milk.  Is any raw milk okay?  Should I stay away from nut milks? I know someone had said no grains, what if they are soaks appropriately (quinoa??)  I also am guessing that most raw recipes would be fine since the nuts and seeds are typically soaked overnight? 

Hi,

I never heard of aloe vera  for teeth, do you use it to brush with or do you drink it?

Or what exactly?

By the way, I have a cousin, she has breast fed all of her children for 4 to 6 years each one,

and that includes night time breastfeeding, they did not have any dental problems. I have

heard from other people as well. Breast milk is not the issue. I think it is due to other factors,

sodas, fruit, dried fruit, juices, candies, sweets, etc. Another factor I think is rinsing with water after eating something, and once done, brushing your teeth. And of course flossing.

#65 of 75 Old 05-30-2013, 01:29 PM

http://aloeverav.com/?p=271 here is an example of what I found on aloe vera. 

Both my midwife and my doula did express that night nursing for long periods of time will cause some pooling around the front teeth.  I know with my next child that I will be very conscious about making sure that my child unlatches and swallows after nursing to sleep.  It is just to much of a coincidence that it is the same four as the bottle fed syndrome...  I have a friend in Cali who had to have her little boy get caps on the top four and all molars!  They had found that he had deficient saliva when he slept, which makes more sense that all the teeth were affected.  I am waiting to take him back to the dentist next week to see if the change in diet and added supplements have seemed to make any difference.  I, wanting to be optimistic, think it looks better.... We will see

#66 of 75 Old 07-01-2013, 12:25 AM

Hey everyone,

I am writing for some moral help as I don't feel like i am coping so well right now. My Daughter has tooth decay. We too have always been on an organic diet with no processed foods and refined sugars. We co sleep and breastfeed, and night feed :-)

Brown lines appeared at the top of the front four teeth when she was 2 and we have been firefighting for a year now. They have now gone black and are chipping. I literally have sleepless nights. What have I done to my bubba ? What can I do to stop the, from decaying further ? I feel like a wicked Mother but I even dread her smiling because I care what others think. I know this is crazy, and I actually sent myself off to a holistic thearpist today to calm my anxiety.

We have started tissue salts, raw milk, and fermented cod liver oil. Fingers crossed this will halt the decay and strenthen them.

We have been advised that healozone wont work as the damage is too extensive and that extraction is the only way forward. At the other extreme a holistic demtist said leave them alone and just do the western price protocol.

Only problem with the western price stuff is it is friggin hard constantly telling a three year old she cant have this and cant have that even though other kids are eating it. I worry that this might have an emotional impact.

Gosh this is hard.

Kind regards and respect to all you wonderful mothers who are dealing with this too,

Victoria
#67 of 75 Old 07-13-2013, 03:29 PM

It is nice to know that I am not alone.  I know when I first found out, I was in hysterics!  I still don't know how I feel about it but my doula, midwife, and friends always know exactly what to say. You are a good mother for caring and for changing.  I still don't know if night nursing is what was the cause, and I plan to take more precaution with my upcoming child.  But if you would have known, would you have stopped nursing your child??  I know I wouldn't have traded our special times together for anything.  Isaac still nurses, maybe once a day once every other day, and I plan to tandem nurse with our next child that's due in two months.  Weaning him from night nursing has been an absolute blessing, we both sleep much better.

I am heading to another pedodontist appointment this week.  His teeth seemed as though the decay may have been if not halted slowed considerably.  I totally understand having to tell him no all the time when others are eating it (like his papa...)  He is such an amazing little boy, he has never given my much argument and really seems to understand that it is for the health of his teeth.  He is been totally free of grains, dried fruit, any sweetener (minus honey on occasion), raw goat milk from our own goat, been religiously taking cell salts, oral probiotics, had an issue with cod liver oil for a while, but I found a lemon flavored cod liver oil that I mix in with applesauce and he LOVES it.  We have been on this diet for a month and a half now, and I don't know, there is more I could do.  Just started making bone broth, and could eliminate fruit but that would be the hardest thing for us. 

I have a friend that just spent $5000 on dental work for her son, I don't know if I am prepared for that.....  My other friend just have to have teeth pulled on her 8 year old because the decay from the baby teeth had spread to the permanent teeth....  So hard to know what to do 

#68 of 75 Old 08-01-2013, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

This thread has been a wonderful starting point for me. My son is 22 months old, and I've noticed decay for sure on his molars and now on one of his top front teeth. We see a dentist in a few days, and will know more then. Like all of you, I don't want to see him put under GA, and would like to try and halt/reverse the decay by other means. 

Many of you mention taking carbs out of your child's diet. I've read that tooth decay can be a symptom of celiac disease. Did you stop the gluten because of a positive diagnosis of celiac, or simply as a precaution? I've been doing some looking around the internet, but that can be overwhelming...could anyone recommend a book or article you found particularly helpful on this matter?

Thanks so much for sharing your stories...

Tara

#69 of 75 Old 05-14-2014, 08:42 PM

Great Thread!!! Is there a difference between the MI Paste vs MI mouse? Also i heard about air/water ozone treatments.... whats the difference? Thanks so much for this thread!!! 

Traveling around the world with my husband and son (8/2/09). Extended BFing, Co-sleeping, ECing/CDing, Babywearing, alternative vaccination, non-circing mama
#70 of 75 Old 05-14-2014, 08:47 PM

Also which would you is the best toothpaste/toothgel to use? I have Earthpaste lemon for kids now, but I was looking at the Spry toothgel, or a better one?

Traveling around the world with my husband and son (8/2/09). Extended BFing, Co-sleeping, ECing/CDing, Babywearing, alternative vaccination, non-circing mama
#71 of 75 Old 05-31-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe-trotter View Post
Also which would you is the best toothpaste/toothgel to use? I have Earthpaste lemon for kids now, but I was looking at the Spry toothgel, or a better one?
I've been trying to halt my sons decay since he was about 14 months when I first noticed part of his front teeth having white markings on them. I started with brushing more diligently, but his front four teeth continued to progress to small cavities, and one eventually started to crumble. He is now 22 months old. We are an organic, vegetarian, health conscious family. He is also still breastfeeding at night. I just finally saw the fruits of my labor within the last month as his cavities have started to remineralize (just as I was giving up hope). I have literally tried every piece of advice I came across. I'll list off everything I am doing in the order that I introduced them.

1. I started with cell salts 1, 2, and 12 (Hylands)
2. I introduced xylitol spray (I only used occasionally)
3. I started giving coconut oil on a spoon (it kills the strep mutans). He really likes it and takes it like candy.
4. I cut out pretty much all juice/sweets, aside from when he was sick and I'd make it fresh from the juicer and give it to him with one of those Tylenol syringes.
I stuck with this for a few months and his teeth continued to degrade so I stepped up my game...
5. I ordered the fermented cod liver oil/butter oil blend from green pastures. I give it to him in one of those Tylenol syringes, it was a battle at first, but now he takes it no problem. I ordered the Chocolate flavored one.
6. I made my own toothpaste with baking soda and coconut oil (baking soda lowers acidity and kills bacteria)
I did this for another couple months and the decay halted, but his teeth were not healing.

7. After a lot of more research and meeting with his first dentist who recommended caps on all his front teeth under GA I decided to no longer stick to the vegetarian lifestyle. We started adding grass fed ground beef a 1-2 times a week, and I bought a Cosco case of organic chicken broth (they use bones to make theirs) and added it to a lot of cooked meals, anything that it could be incorporated into for flavor. I also added a dairy item to his meals at least three times a day (cheese, yogurt, kefir, cottage cheese, lots of butter... All grass fed)

I talked to a friend of my husbands who had a similar experience and healed her toddlers teeth and she said she saw results after adding Gelatin and phosphorous. So...

8. I bought a bag of gelatin and started adding it to almost everything (it's basically odorless/tasteless). I sprinkled it in yogurt, any cooked foods, soups, his water, etc. This is what I bought http://m.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Real-Fo...1-lb-454-g/400
9. I got the small phosphorous pills. They taste like little sugar balls and are really small, he takes them happily.

After all this, I finally saw results and actual healing, I think the phosphorous and gelatin are what took him over the edge and started the actual healing process. I also recently added ground up biodent to his foods on occasion.
I recently found a dentist who does Ozone with children in my area and we have had one treatment of that so far. His dentist recommended we go in once a month for the ozone. It is not covered by insurance, but affordable. $30.00 for the first treatment, and $10.00 each additional treatment. The dentist also recommended this Ctx 3 toothpaste, which we just started. http://carifree.com/patient/shop/ctx3-gel.html
The dentist is Dr. Chang, located outside of Seattle in Everett Wa if anyone is in the area looking for ozone therapy, it took me months to find a holistic dentist that worked with kids in my area. I am hoping adding the ozone therapy and remineralizing toothpaste will take help finish healing my sons teeth all the way. The dentist to me that when the cavities heal/ harden they'll often turn a darker brown bc they are pulling minerals out of the mouth to fill in the soft spot and it doesn't always remineralize white. Although the smaller caries that he had that healed did turn white again. He had one really bad tooth that had broken/ crumbled that is to damaged to return to its white color, but the dentist said that doesn't mean it hasn't/ won't heal/ harden.

We have a routine, which makes it easier to remember everything.

We do breakfast (with dairy and gelatin powder mixed in what ever item it will work with) after he eats he gets the cell salts, phosphorous, multi vitamin, coconut oil, then brush teeth.
For lunch he just has whatever snack, plus dairy item, and added gelatin in water. After eating he gets cell salts / phosphorous. I try to brush his teeth every afternoon after nap because he still nurses to sleep. Sometimes he gets another spoonful of coconut oil.

After dinner he gets the cell salts, phosphorous, cod liver oil, then brushes teeth. I try to get him to drink lots of water to clean his mouth out before brushing his teeth. Sometimes I use a syringe with Water to get the food particles out of his teeth/cheeks because he hasn't figured out how to swish yet.

I know this is a lot, but I didn't want to miss anything and I hope this is helpful. This took me months of research to get to this points. I hope to leave another desperate momma with a few ideas I know the desperation and guilt that comes with seeing your child having a cavity, especially after taking every precaution to protect their health.
#72 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 PM

My 3 and 1/2 year old son has some tooth decay I'd like to try to work on. What phosphorous pills did you use? Where did you get them from?
#73 of 75 Old 07-30-2014, 10:16 PM

I have a question for those that have used Bioplasma salts successfully....is it necessary to get those AND the individually numbered ones? The Bioplasma have all 12 salts, so that would double up on the individual numbers. Which I guess isn't a bad thing, just wondering if people generally have success doing one or the the other.

I found this article suggesting #8 (mag phos) in addition to #s 1, 2, and 12....

http://http://avivahwerner.com/2013/...-remineralize/

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#74 of 75 Old Today, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bamommy2 View Post
We, my mom and I, used homeopathic cell salts for my DSs teeth and bones. These supply the needed minerals to make strong bones and teeth. We still use them though on a maintenance dose. We started out using the 30X, but now use 6X.<br><br><b>Calc Phos</b> - bone health, gives solidity to bones and assists in building strong teeth.<br><b><br>
Calc Fluor</b> - assists with improving enamel of teeth and malnutrition of bones.<br><br><b>Mag Phos</b> - quick pain relief with symptoms associated with toothache, teething children &amp; bone development.<br><br><b>Silica</b> - assists in building strong connective tissue to support deficient assimilation.<br><br>
Bones that are strong and healthy from a young age are more likely to remain strong and healthy throughout our lives. As we all know Calcium is important for strong bones. Calcium is not just essential for strong healthy bones, but also for healthy muscles. Magnesium is also found in our bones and works with Calcium to build strong structures.<br><br>
The pills are tiny, dissolve instantly in the mouth, and taste ok. Two pills three times daily.<br><br>
My DSs dentist has remarked about his strong, healthy teeth! This of a little guy with extreme, severe ECC at 18 months.<br><br>
My mom gets the homeopathics from <a href="http://www.elixirs.com" target="_blank">www.elixirs.com</a> or <a href="http://www.1-800homeopathy.com" target="_blank">www.1-800homeopathy.com</a>. She usually buys the 1000 amount. They're cheaper that way.
So were you able to cure your toddlers decay???
#75 of 75 Old Today, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bamommy2 View Post
We, my mom and I, used homeopathic cell salts for my DSs teeth and bones. These supply the needed minerals to make strong bones and teeth. We still use them though on a maintenance dose. We started out using the 30X, but now use 6X.<br><br><b>Calc Phos</b> - bone health, gives solidity to bones and assists in building strong teeth.<br><b><br>
Calc Fluor</b> - assists with improving enamel of teeth and malnutrition of bones.<br><br><b>Mag Phos</b> - quick pain relief with symptoms associated with toothache, teething children &amp; bone development.<br><br><b>Silica</b> - assists in building strong connective tissue to support deficient assimilation.<br><br>
Bones that are strong and healthy from a young age are more likely to remain strong and healthy throughout our lives. As we all know Calcium is important for strong bones. Calcium is not just essential for strong healthy bones, but also for healthy muscles. Magnesium is also found in our bones and works with Calcium to build strong structures.<br><br>
The pills are tiny, dissolve instantly in the mouth, and taste ok. Two pills three times daily.<br><br>
My DSs dentist has remarked about his strong, healthy teeth! This of a little guy with extreme, severe ECC at 18 months.<br><br>
My mom gets the homeopathics from <a href="http://www.elixirs.com" target="_blank">www.elixirs.com</a> or <a href="http://www.1-800homeopathy.com" target="_blank">www.1-800homeopathy.com</a>. She usually buys the 1000 amount. They're cheaper that way.
How do you know how much of these pills I need to give for my daughter. Is there a doctor you can recommend ? I mean it would be good to be able to ask a doctor specific questions with regards to my daughter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page