Oil pulling...my experience so far - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 07-01-2009, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I've been oil pulling for a couple months now, with a week or so here and there without it while I was gone.

My teeth do in fact look whiter. They were becoming so yellow it was kind of gross. I looked at them this morning and had to admit, they really weren't that gross yellow anymore.

My teeth feel so much cleaner! They are so smooth, like they would feel after being polished at the dentist. This feeling lasts all day.

Someone here said it can stop a cold. I don't always catch my kids colds anyway, but they have had two colds now that I have not.

It seems like some tooth pain I was having is better, but I don't know for sure that the OP did it. I've never had any gum trouble, so I can't comment on that.

Okay, this is really gross, but yesterday, for the fun of it, I spit out the water I was rinsing my mouth with after OPing into a glass cup to look at it. There were little bits of crud in it! This was first thing in the morning, I had brushed my teeth, but not eaten anything. Ew! So I spit that out and rinsed again, swish swish, spit it into the cup and it looked the same. Cloudy with little cruddies. Not a lot, maybe 4 or 5 in a mouthful. That is enough to keep me going for a long time! I did not study the oil I spit out, that's just too gross, but if the water is that bad, I can't imagine what the oil would be like. But that's also just the visable cruddies! eeeew.

Anyone else have some experience? It doesn't seem like many people here are talking about it, but I'd sure like to hear some testimonies.

btw, I use coconut oil.
#2 of 39 Old 07-05-2009, 12:04 AM

:

This is fascinating to me! I have read a little about it over at earthclinic. I hope you update again because I would love to hear how it goes for you. I worry that it would loosen any fillings in my mouth. I don't know if that's possible or not.

gl

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#3 of 39 Old 07-05-2009, 11:07 PM

Cool, thanks for sharing that! I'm very interested in oil pulling but since it detoxes one I'm thinking it's a bad idea to do while I'm nursing. And my youngest nursling is only 10 months old.
#4 of 39 Old 07-05-2009, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
subbing.. my mom's been talking about oil pulling lately and encouraging me to try it. I'm nursing a 7 week old though so not sure if its okay?

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#5 of 39 Old 07-07-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm nursing also, but not really concerned about it. For one thing, you can start really slow. You can OP for as long a period as you want, a minute even. I started with 5 minutes and worked up to 10-15 mins, once a day.

Also, I don't know, but I think coconut oil is more gentle than say, seseme seed oil, which is often recommended. Some people seem to have really big and obvious detox reactions to seseme oil. But I noticed no reactions at all. I also don't think I'm particularly toxic, since I've been drinking kombucha for a few years and generally avoid toxins, so I may not be a good example in that reguard.

Anyway, if any of you try it and find any reactions, let us know! I'm interested to see what different people's experiences are.

Oh, I don't think fillings will fall out. I've read almost everything I can find on the net (which isn't much) and people have been concerned about that, but it doesn't appear to be a problem unless the filling is loose to begin with.
#6 of 39 Old 07-07-2009, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I tried it yesterday. Not a full tablespoon (didn't measure, maybe around 1tsp) and just did 10 minutes. I used coconut oil. The main thing I noticed was when I spit it out, there was a ton of mucus in the back of my throat that loosened up (that I hadn't noticed before at all) and I was gagging on it until I could spit it out. I was thinking, "THIS is why its recommended on an empty stomach. if i had eaten anything, i'd be throwing it up right now!"

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#7 of 39 Old 07-08-2009, 03:21 AM

subbing...I want to try this, but am nervous as I am nursing a 3yo and a 1yo and they drink a lot. I tend to be super concerned about anything that may negatively affect them. I have bought some coconut oil and am thinking of starting with a teaspoon for a couple of minutes and seeing what happens. I have amalgam fillings and suspect I am pretty toxic. I wonder though if it detoxes you, would the toxins not be spat out with the oil? or am I being simplistic? What sort of detox synptoms have been noticed?

ANNIE - Crunchy WAHM to 2 boys & baby girl born 12July08 ~From contentment with little comes happiness â African Proverb
#8 of 39 Old 07-13-2009, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

That's interesting about the mucus after OPing. I don't notice anything like that at all. Isn't that strange? At any rate, I would think it would be a good thing to have the mucus coughed up and done with. Isn't mucus full of dead white blood cells and ...gunk? It seems like your body needed to get rid of it.

I really love the clean feeling in my mouth after OPing. On days when I can't do it I am sad to live the day with my mouth not really clean.

I wish I could figure out a way to get my kids to do it. My oldest is 7, but pretty sensitive to all things "gross".

Anyway, anyone else try it??
#9 of 39 Old 07-17-2009, 05:59 PM

Does anyone have a link or instructions on how to do this? I've heard it mentioned before, but never told how to do it.

~Erika, mama to Isaac 2/07 and Jacoby 9/09 , married to my sweetheart, Sam
#10 of 39 Old 07-19-2009, 08:13 PM

I haven't got back into it again yet but I was doing it pre-pregnancy. I, too, became "addicted" to the feeling of a nice clean mouth. I was OPing at night with safflower oil as I'd heard it helps with sleep and in the morning with olive oil.
While I was OPing, my gums stopped receding and bleeding, my teeth got a little whiter, and I noticed that I stopped having tonsiliths (gross, if you don't know what they are, don't look them up). And that was only in a few (6-8?) weeks.
I have amalgam fillings as well and didn't notice any detox symptoms. I worked up to 15 minutes twice per day (as explained above). I was also nursing.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#11 of 39 Old 07-22-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a great article about using coconut oil.

http://www.wellbeingjournal.com/inde...d=118&Itemid=1

Also, re the mucus after OPing, someone suggested to me that it is your sinuses draining. I wonder if it would help with a cold? If one could breathe through the nose long enough to do it!
#12 of 39 Old 08-13-2009, 01:31 AM

I can't believe I had never hear of this. Must not be reading MDC enough. I don't hear about any alternative healing elsewhere. I was just reading anything I could about curing acute sinus infections, and this came up. I use CO anyway quite often. I'm going to try it. I'm nursing my toddler, and I just started antibiotics. I've had this infection for weeks, and likely (he thinks, based on CT scan) even longer. Like years. Can I still do this with antibiotics? Anyway I did read that it clears the sinuses, so that would explain the mucus. Which I knew about this sooner.
#13 of 39 Old 08-15-2009, 12:03 AM

do any of you have fillings in your teeth, and if so, how are they doing? i really want to do OP however i have two fillings and one of them is on my top front tooth and i have read somewhere that it can loosen your fillings and they can fall out as a result of OP. that would be really embarrassing if my front filling fell out, especially since i have no insurance. but i haven't heard that it can make your fillings fall out since i read it that one time...

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#14 of 39 Old 06-12-2010, 07:34 AM

I just heard about oil pulling at the curezone... I was looking into which type of soap to use since there is no way I can afford tooth soap, and found out about oil pulling! One poster said they did it with a bit of oil of oregano and detoxed a dormant herpes mouth infection. This sounds awesome! I am going to continue brushing my teeth with pure soap (may even make my own concoction) making sure I get enough vitamin d, and now I am going to start oil pulling. I am nursing my 18 mo, so I am looking into whether or not it displaces mercury to the breastmilk... I beleive my mercury fillings are gone however. I have some small metal colored ones, but the doctor told me they were removing all my old amalgam (while I was pregnant with dd1... I didn't know)... anybody still OP?

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#15 of 39 Old 06-13-2010, 02:27 AM

Is oil pulling really detoxifying to the point that it will negatively affect breastmilk? Dang, how powerful is the oil? A site I checked said is was safe during pregnancy. I'm not understanding how a mouth rinse would be able to affect my milk. I really want to try it, but not if it will hurt my kid.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#16 of 39 Old 06-13-2010, 05:46 PM

I thought when I read about oil pulling it said that the oil is pulling the toxins out. So to my understanding the toxins would be in the oil. Is there other detoxing that is taking place?

~Erika, mama to Isaac 2/07 and Jacoby 9/09 , married to my sweetheart, Sam
#17 of 39 Old 06-14-2010, 12:33 PM

I thought the reason behind oil pulling was to stir up toxins in the body and eliminate them through spitting out the oil. I would imagine that the stirred up toxins would also leave the body via breast milk.

That being said, I have tried it a few times while nursing. I can't do it for more than 5 minutes without gagging. Just the thought of OPing makes me get the pre-gag feeling in the back of my throat. I am such a sissy.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#18 of 39 Old 06-15-2010, 12:20 PM

Could someone please explain the process? The link above just gives another link to an article one must order.

signature currently in transition
#19 of 39 Old 06-16-2010, 12:20 AM

Leah-here's a great link! http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/oil_pulling.html

I am DEFINITELY trying this, starting tomorrow. I have very bad teeth and a lot of dental problems (I have had eleven cavities and I brush and floss regularly). I also have a lot of lung and sinus issues.

Sarah-Wife to Kelly, mostly organic crafty SAHMama to my angel, Canaan (11/01/07-03/15/2013) and Ezra (05-12-09).

#20 of 39 Old 06-16-2010, 10:23 AM

Tops! Thanks, Sarah.

#21 of 39 Old 06-16-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I haven't got back into it again yet but I was doing it pre-pregnancy. I, too, became "addicted" to the feeling of a nice clean mouth. I was OPing at night with safflower oil as I'd heard it helps with sleep and in the morning with olive oil.
While I was OPing, my gums stopped receding and bleeding, my teeth got a little whiter, and I noticed that I stopped having tonsiliths (gross, if you don't know what they are, don't look them up). And that was only in a few (6-8?) weeks.
I have amalgam fillings as well and didn't notice any detox symptoms. I worked up to 15 minutes twice per day (as explained above). I was also nursing.
JR - knowing my history - would you do it during pregnancy? I am having some gum soreness and bleeding.
hmmm. maybe extra vit c would help

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#22 of 39 Old 06-16-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
JR - knowing my history - would you do it during pregnancy? I am having some gum soreness and bleeding.
hmmm. maybe extra vit c would help
I don't think that you're quite as unwell (I hesitate to say sick or ill) as I am/was when I started OPing. *(Of course, I could be wrong.)* I can only tell you that *I* would not have stopped during/for pregnancy if not for HG- and would have started sooner, including in pregnancy, if not for aversions etc.
I've come to believe that the benefit of OPing lies in the fact that the oil and salt water pull the infection and/or bacteria from under the gums, eventually allowing your body's natural healing processes to resume.
I was also taking camu camu in addition to my vit c supp while I was OPing, fwiw.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#23 of 39 Old 06-22-2010, 03:16 PM

Ok, so do you oil-pullers brush your teeth first? Does this replace teeth brushing all together?

I'm still a little confused.

#24 of 39 Old 06-22-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
Ok, so do you oil-pullers brush your teeth first? Does this replace teeth brushing all together?

I'm still a little confused.
No, it doesn't replace teeth brushing entirely.
What *I* do, is I OP then I brush with tooth soap and then I rinse with salt water. My "theory" is that it pulls the bacteria out of the pockets in the gums so immediate brushing is best to kill those bacteria and follow that up with salt water to kill any bacteria I may have missed with the brushing.
HTH.

#25 of 39 Old 06-24-2010, 04:12 PM

Thanks a bunch!

#26 of 39 Old 06-25-2010, 01:15 PM

How much salt do you put in your salt water rinse? I think I might start trying this. I have had horrible teeth since my first pregnancy- and before that not even one cavity! Even though I had braces as a teen, and had knocked out a front tooth and had 4 root canals because of that injury when I was in 5th grade.

It seems like my teeth have just started crumbling away, despite trying VERY hard to take good care of them. So, since all the conventional things don't work, I am willing to try anything!

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi
#27 of 39 Old 06-25-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
No, it doesn't replace teeth brushing entirely.
What *I* do, is I OP then I brush with tooth soap and then I rinse with salt water. My "theory" is that it pulls the bacteria out of the pockets in the gums so immediate brushing is best to kill those bacteria and follow that up with salt water to kill any bacteria I may have missed with the brushing.
HTH.
I agree with Jacqueline. I also think the oil helps the toothbrush do a better job as it loosens material on the teeth so the brush can sweep it away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
How much salt do you put in your salt water rinse? I think I might start trying this. I have had horrible teeth since my first pregnancy- and before that not even one cavity! Even though I had braces as a teen, and had knocked out a front tooth and had 4 root canals because of that injury when I was in 5th grade.

It seems like my teeth have just started crumbling away, despite trying VERY hard to take good care of them. So, since all the conventional things don't work, I am willing to try anything!
I would use the amount to make it the salinity of the body. Is that 1/4 tsp per cup? I think with more salt, it pulls more water from your mucous membranes and runs the risk of drying out your mouth. On the other hand, a little more salt may make it more lethal to bugs in the mouth that still reside after the OP and brushing.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#28 of 39 Old 06-25-2010, 02:57 PM

yes, I use 1/4 tsp per cup

#29 of 39 Old 07-01-2010, 03:36 PM

I'm so glad I found this thread! I had researched oil pulling before, and forgot about it until now. Thank you all for posting. Keep it up. It inspires those of us seeking alternative remedies. I'm going to try virgin coconut oil.
#30 of 39 Old 10-23-2010, 02:05 AM

Yo, I'm late but I will be trying this ASAP, I will start off with Sesame Oil, tho I can not figure out if it should be refined or unrefined, I have heard it used both ways....

hola.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page