Help! Exposed jaw bone! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-03-2009, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have been having great fun this past week. Last Thursday the dentist from Hades pulled tooth #18 which was a molar. It was a pretty traumatic extraction, I have never had an extraction that difficult and I have been in pain since (actually thought I had a dry socket its been so bad) and when I went back for a check up on Monday and to get more work done. I refused to let her touch me and requested a different dentist and explained why I did not want her touching me again (she also had a HORRID bedside manner, kept ignoring me and stuff when I would ask questions and would get irritated and not even answer what I asked and didn't seem to understand English well plus she kept trying to dislocate my jaw even though I told her many times NO YOU CAN NOT!). I wasn't the first to complain and as of Tuesday she is no longer employed there (I was there when she got the axe, she couldn't understand why her co workers wouldn't stand up for her when patients complained (my friend was there with me and was outside walking the baby when she over heard the Dr in the parking lot complaining to her nurse who also got axed)) Anyway, I also had a pretty nasty local allergic reaction to the numbing gel they use before they give you the lidocane. Every where it touched caused SEVERE inflammation and irritation, litterally that entire side of my mouth and down my throat on that side from it draining down my throat while they worked. Turned out there's a warning on the container that it has yellow #5 and it can cause that. So we didn't use it again after the first day (didn't need it with the new dentist, I never even felt the needles and I got like 6-8 shots at 4 sites over 2 days, he was awesome!)

Anyway finally got the swelling and inflammation down about 80% by yesterday and holy cow, you can see my jaw bone! Both in the socket and in the inside gum next to my tounge (there about 1/2 inch apart). In the past 24 hours its gone from swollen to about 1/2 inch of exposed bone in both spots. I went back in and the Dr said an ulcer is causing it and I need to see an oral surgeon ASAP but they left early today and I'm praying their there tomorrow but so many places are taking 4 days holidays. This thing is growing FAST and it HURTS. To control the pain I'm having to take 800mg Motrin every 6 hours, Vicadin at night (face is to painful to sleep on and I can't sleep the other way), I would love to take it during the day but I'm a light weight and it knocks me out plus I'm having to use clove oil every couple of hours which seems to work the best but is it really good to be putting that stuff on bone? Plus that stuff plain old burns everything else it touches while your holding the cotton ball to the site for 1 min. On the upside it works great and I have nice clove breath

Any suggestions on what to do to keep infection and pain at bay? I've been on 500mg of Keflex 4x a day since Thursday as well. What if I can't see the oral guy before next week? I talked to a friend and she swears the oral does not take Medicaid and I will need to drive almost 4 hours to see the nearest one that does. If that's the case then chances are I wont be able to see one at all! Just a thought, can I put, I think its called Zilactin on it? Its a bio adhesive oral bandaid, I use it when I get ulcers from allergic reactions to strawberries I got on accident in something (yes, I get a mouth full of ulcers from even trace amounts of strawberries, on my allergy test the wheel was 22cm! All that happens is nasty ulcers though) but I've never had an ulcer that ate its way to the bone!

Seriously?
#2 of 6 Old 07-03-2009, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG! I'm sooo sorry! I have no advice but I had to reply. Please keep us updated. I wonder if a trip to ER would be helpful.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 6 Old 07-03-2009, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post
OMG! I'm sooo sorry! I have no advice but I had to reply. Please keep us updated. I wonder if a trip to ER would be helpful.
I'm wondering if the ER would do any good. This morning I found out the oral surgeon is closed until Monday and he wont see new patients even with emergencies after hours until Monday. By Monday I'm going to have a couple inches of jaw exposed at the rate this thing is growing. I did figure out moist heat seems to help the surrounding neck/ear area but the heat only lasts about 10 minutes and I'm supposed to go to the family reunion today 1.5 hours away

Seriously?
#4 of 6 Old 07-04-2009, 08:21 AM

Wow, that sounds terrible! I hope you are doing ok. If I were you I would go to the ER and tell them you can't get in this weekend and see if they have any good ways of protecting your bone till then. There should be an oral surgeon on call. It is so serious because it's so close to the brain!
Thinking of you, take care,
Deb

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#5 of 6 Old 07-04-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M View Post
Wow, that sounds terrible! I hope you are doing ok. If I were you I would go to the ER and tell them you can't get in this weekend and see if they have any good ways of protecting your bone till then. There should be an oral surgeon on call. It is so serious because it's so close to the brain!
Thinking of you, take care,
Deb
: go and see... I'm so sorry.

hh2.gif

#6 of 6 Old 07-05-2009, 12:10 AM

How are you feeling? Did you go to the ER?

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page