Is it necessary to pump and dump after novocaine shots? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-05-2009, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting several cavities filled and possibly a root canal done on the same day. My dentist suggested storing up my milk now and pumping and dumping for a day or so after he does the work. He said the novocaine isn't supposed to be harmful to babies, but just to be safe I can use the stored up milk.

Ds is 3 mo. and has never taken a bottle, so I can't completely bottle feed him for a couple of days. I'm thinking I might pump and dump once, but I'm wondering when the best time to do it is. Right when I get home from the dentist? Would drinking a lot of water after the dental work be the best way to flush the novocaine out of my system? Is any of this even necessary?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 12:04 AM

I doubt the novocaine would be harmful--isn't it used routinely in hospitals on birthing women (e.g., for numbing prior to tear repair)? You're not doing mercury fillings, right? Not sure what else one would worry about. I think in your position I'd continue to nurse. Giving bottles to an EBF baby can be tricky and stressful so probably not worth it of there's no good reason for it. Medical professionals tend to (1) know very little about breastfeeding and (2) not value it highly and think it's not really necessary.

Best wishes for your upcoming treatment!
Old 07-06-2009, 04:16 PM

My dentist looked up the half life of novicane. It stays in your system for 4 hours. So you should pump and dump at least once and wait to nurse till it has been 4 hours.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan'sMom View Post
I doubt the novocaine would be harmful--isn't it used routinely in hospitals on birthing women (e.g., for numbing prior to tear repair)? You're not doing mercury fillings, right? Not sure what else one would worry about. I think in your position I'd continue to nurse. Giving bottles to an EBF baby can be tricky and stressful so probably not worth it of there's no good reason for it. Medical professionals tend to (1) know very little about breastfeeding and (2) not value it highly and think it's not really necessary.

Best wishes for your upcoming treatment!
It's good to know it's not very harmful. My dentist admitted he didn't know how long it would take the novocaine to get out of my system or how harmful it would be. He does really support breastfeeding, though.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyjones View Post
My dentist looked up the half life of novicane. It stays in your system for 4 hours. So you should pump and dump at least once and wait to nurse till it has been 4 hours.
Thanks for letting me know this. I will pump and dump when I get home and try to wait 4 hours if he will take the bottle.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:43 PM

I wouldn't bother pumping and dumping. if it's half life is 4 hours (even assuming it's an issue), just waiting would do it too.

they routinely use it for repairs in the hospital, and it's a local, not systemic, medication. locals are pretty reliably non-issues.

R~mama to 3

Old 07-06-2009, 08:44 PM

Never did, didn't even consider it, dentist(s) never even suggested it.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 PM

It's FINE. No reason to pump and dump at all.

-Angela
Old 07-06-2009, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Just as a further point of information, Novocaine is an L3

L3 MODERATELY SAFE:
There are no controlled studies in breastfeeding women, however the risk of untoward effects to a breastfed infant is possible; or, controlled studies show only minimal non-threatening adverse effects. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant.

Unfortunately, I cannot find my Hale's guide, so I don't know what the pediatric concerns are.

Lidocaine (xylocaine) is an L2.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 PM

wow... pumping and dumping is not necessary. I'm surprised at the responses you got here. First of all, novacaine is an L3, which means it is moderately safe. According to Thomas Hale (medications and mothers milk), who is the only person to research drugs and lactation, it is a localized drug, not a systemic drug, and very little if any is likely to reach breastmilk. It is rapidly metabolized, and the half life is 7.7 MINUTES. IT also has a larger molecular weight, which makes it less likely to cross plasma membranes into mothers milk. When it is mixed with epinepherin, which allows it to work longer and more effectively (and also allows you to give a lower dose than without) can up the half life to 2 hours. As the drugs leave your local area and the blood stream, they also leave your milk. If you feed right before your procedure, you should be ready to go afterwards.

hh2.gif

Old 07-06-2009, 08:56 PM

...caine, particularly with epinephrine, sticks in the local tissues for some time and then slowly transfers into the plasma compartment. It is rapidly cleared by the liver.

hh2.gif

Old 07-06-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

Unfortunately, I cannot find my Hale's guide, so I don't know what the pediatric concerns are.
There are no pediatric concerns reported via milk.

hh2.gif

Old 07-06-2009, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How would the novocaine even get to your breasts? Think about how this drug works- it's injected into the area that needs to be numbed, and the medication stays where it's injected. How else would it only numb one portion of your mouth? If the novocaine can't even go from the left side of your mouth to the right, how could it get into your milk?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 07-07-2009, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. Thanks, everybody. I'm not going to bother with the pumping and dumping.

And to answer a previous question, no they won't be mercury fillings. The composite is not so healthy either, I know, but it's better than mercury.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

User Tag List