braces - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-21-2009, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got braces since yesterday. Yes, myself, at the age of 32. (My kids are too young for this anyway). I always convinced myself I was 'happy' with the 'natural look' in my mouth and only occasional cheek/tongue biting, but actually it's been bothering me for almost 20 years, so I finally found the courage. Any other iron lady moms around here?

Me:,loving HB,two active sons of 3 & 5,1 cat, nature lover,,extbf,occ,SAHM, multicultural/lingual family,+/-cl, :become a better parent/person by not expecting to be the perfect parent/person
#2 of 9 Old 07-21-2009, 02:00 PM

Not me, but I'd like to. I'd rather do the invisalign, but insurance won't pay for it. I don't dislike my smile $4k worth, only about $700 worth, so I'm not doing it! Kudos to you, though!

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#3 of 9 Old 07-27-2009, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am 32 as well and have had braces for 17 months. Only 6ish more months to go! I hate them, but already have gained so much confidence in myself. I was so embarrassed by my teeth (and they were getting worse and worse) that I hated to smile. I smile all the time now. I can't wait for them to come off so I can have a beautiful smile finally!
I would have loved to get the invisalign as well, but they only work if you need minor corrections done - that wasn't me!!
#4 of 9 Old 07-27-2009, 09:46 AM

I had braces while I was pregnant (not my first time, I had them as a kid). I'm sooo much better this time around as far as wearing my retainers and taking care of my teeth.
#5 of 9 Old 07-27-2009, 02:57 PM

I will be getting braces soon after an impacted tooth is removed--I'll be 28 in August and I can't wait to get it done.
#6 of 9 Old 08-02-2009, 11:58 PM

I'm getting braces in 2 weeks and I'm 39!!! YIKES. I'm also way too far gone for the Invisalign. SO it's full metal for me. Ugh.

I've had a **tremendous** amount of dental work already to get me to the point of being able to have braces finally and I will have quite a bit of work to do afterwards, too.

I didn't have braces as a teenager b/c I was playing the flute seriously and it would have affected that. SO, we didn't do it, and here I am with an awful messed up mouth at almost 40. We saved in our HSA so we'd have the $$ to do it. No insurance coverage at all. But, if I don't do it, my teeth will really suffer even more and I may face losing some of them. :

Congrats to you, OP, on taking the plunge! I also can't wait to feel comfortable smiling and not be embarrassed by my teeth. I can't imagine how that will feel! I'll be in braces 2 yrs and permanent/bonded retainer on the bottom after that, regular retainer on top.

What tips do you have for the initial adjustment? How was the pain? How long did it last? How does it feel now?

Thanks for the info!!

Jennifer
#7 of 9 Old 08-05-2009, 12:17 AM

quick bump in hopes to some answers to my ??s. Thanks a bunch!!
#8 of 9 Old 08-05-2009, 12:18 AM

I think that's awesome. I have always hated my smile, but never had the $$ to fix it. I'm 39, and if I won the lottery I would totally get braces.
#9 of 9 Old 08-20-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Well, for now I only have the upper braces still. The first day it felt weird. The 2-5th day it was hurting quite some and I could hardly eat/chew. I applied chewing gum on the parts of the braces that were hurting/damaging the inside of my lips, and that was a bit weird but very soothing/helpful. And then, suddenly it felt all ok, like it'd always been there, so no applying gum protection anymore :-). Also, laughing made my lips hurt for the first week or two but that's over now, too. And I heard that it's always a bit like this after every new appointment where they adjust the braces.
To clean after (outdoor) meals, I always carry a little lipstick box with mirror and toothpicks, a small toothbrush and toothpaste, and chew a lot of sugarless gum with xylitol after meals, too. I find it pretty easy now and do not find 18-24 months seem that horribly long anymore :-). I even think to see some minor result now after wearing braces for almost 1 month.

Success!

Me:,loving HB,two active sons of 3 & 5,1 cat, nature lover,,extbf,occ,SAHM, multicultural/lingual family,+/-cl, :become a better parent/person by not expecting to be the perfect parent/person

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page