metal toxic 6 yr old needs filling - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 08-18-2009, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Years ago, our dentist said my son had a soft spot on a back molar. We haven't seen him since then. I believe that it has turned into a full fledged cavity. For a few months, I've been trying to use nutrition to help him heal it. I have just begun zellies now. So far, the nutrition doesn't appear to be helping.

I'm hoping to get to a dentist who does sandblasting rather than drilling.

What I am trying to figure out (which is why I've ignored dentists for myself and the boys for a while) is what kind of filling to use if in fact he does need one.

eta: maybe I should look into the healozone approach.

Any recommendations that could hurt him the least? I'm a bit broken hearted about it.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 08-18-2009, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mammo2Sammo--don't feel bad about it. When our kids have extra challenges beyond the norm, it's that much more likely they'll have dental issues, and that much harder to heal them. Hello, deranged mineral transport, it makes the hurdle to healing cavities a lot higher IMO. I've felt lucky, flat-out lucky, that my kids haven't had cavities yet. They've certainly got the vitamin and mineral deficiencies to justify it, so I think there are some less-tangible factors than just straight nutrition. I do supplement a ton of stuff, a broad-spectrum mineral plus CLO plus a separate K2 supp, but I don't know if any would fit with your allergens. So if you try the HealOzone approach, I can give you a list if you're interested. But even with that, I don't think any of this is guaranteed, I really _do_ feel lucky.

That said... I was okay with the BPA-containing composites, I think I have Herculite in my mouth. Maybe I'm ignorant on this topic, I haven't looked into it extensively, but for me, needing my amalgams out, it was a huge improvement. There are BPA-free composites, I'm not sure how they stand up in terms of strength/durability and how much dentist skill is involved (some dentists just don't know how to do composites well, but I'm not sure if some types of composites are trickier than others). I hear porcelain is quite non-reactive, but also quite expensive.

Seriously, you're working really hard for you kids. Try not to let the guilt set in. You're working the problem, solving things and helping your kids as best you can. We can't expect more of ourselves.
#3 of 7 Old 08-18-2009, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Tanya. You are always great at comforting me.

We live down the street from Tufts University. A brief searched showed that they are in a middle of study on heal-ozone method. I'm going to see if they actively take patients also. We usually go to BU dental school, and I'm hoping or insurance will be open to this.

I think we will also check out a dentist who does sandblasting and is breastfeeding friendly and respects concerns about flouride. I will then know what I am dealing with (I wouldn't be surprised if he had multiple cavities, and this one large one).

We've had problems with K2. We bruise really easily. I think I am going to work ourselves up very slowly this time. Even starting at one drop a week. I started off at a regular dose (1 drop a day). Maybe less frequent will help with appropriate absorption.

#4 of 7 Old 08-18-2009, 11:28 PM

Were you having problems with more bruising from the K2?
#5 of 7 Old 08-19-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't retried since triple testing (at home observation) finally confirmed it was causing bruising.
I'm giving us each a drop tonight, will watch and give more next week.

#6 of 7 Old 08-19-2009, 11:28 PM

Do you have anyone who does NAET-like stuff? I've wondered if our bizarrely high need for K2 could be viewed as a NAET-type allergy, and thus be treatable. I've also wondered if it's got a Western medicine name, I think it may, but that doesn't really have a treatment, and our symptoms are so mild it's not a health risk. Maybe you've got something similar, but the sensitivity is the opposite way? Because K2 is supposed to normalize clotting, I think either way--whether you're too prone to bleeding or too prone to clotting.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread, I hope other folks jump in as well (though Dental is a bit slow overall).
#7 of 7 Old 08-25-2009, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

So I've been working really hard since Sunday night on healing his teeth. I think it was Sunday morning when he said it hurt to eat rice crispies, so I knew something had to be done. Soggy rice crispies shouldn't hurt his teeth, and yes I know he shouldn't be eating them (bag over head)

I told him that he had to give me 5 days. He had to do anything I told him for five days, after that it was negotiable.
We have been able to reverse the decay enough that he is no longer in pain when he eats. When I ask if it hurts he has to think about it a bit. I am sure it does still hurt and the decay is still there, but there is improvement.

I just wanted to add that I have been able to reverse decay in my own mouth in the past, so I knew it could be done. Also I read Cure Tooth Decay earlier this summer so I made a plan.

We already take a ton of supplements, so this wasn't new.

I upped his calcium, magnesium and vitamin C supplements on top of everything else.
We started taking raw, fermented CLO twice a day.
We have had 1 drop of K2 twice this week. (we bruise at a drop of a hat with K2, so I am being super careful)
2 cups of bone broth a day
nut butter, raw coconut oil mixture
2 1 cup glasses of juiced celery with a half apple each time
2 1 cup servings of a veggie broth described in Cure Tooth Decay
it contains string beans, zucchini, parsley and bone broth
stopped using glycerin in toothpaste
upped brushing
started using xylitol mints again
frequent monitoring of mouth ph a day (he thinks that's cool)
more fish (we do a fish share) I will be making fish head soup tomorrow
2 clams a day
4 oz of juice a day - no more than that
reduced fruit intake, but not stopped him
lowish grain
extra eggs, including raw (at least two raw a day in a smoothie - oh wait that hasn't happened the past two days - that is our norm though.)
no processed foods.
as much fat as possible - this is hard to do
oil pulling

***I would like to figure out how to get more phosphorus in him/us. Our food restrictions limit us in this area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. *** Is bone broth high in phosphorus?
if we could, I would do cal phos tissue salts, but he reacts strongly to the lactose.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page