stainless steel crowns - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-13-2009, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all!

My son is almost five and is in the middle of a total of five dental procedures. He has had three and will have two more...next one tomorrow. First four are crowns on two molars at a time. Last visit dentist will "wiggle" out top four teeth which are beyond repair. My questions are whether anyone has seen any side effects with stainless steel crowns or has any information on it? My son has a lot of allergies so we did check out all the items being used during the procedures. He has had no immediate reactions and has recovered well all three times with minimal pain. I have noticed a slight decrease in appetite. His breath noticabley smells since the first procedure. Also, the last few nights he has had a dry cough that has woke him up. This may be a coincidence...but I worry about every little change with him. Does any one know if the steel can cause problems the way other metals might like mercury, etc? It just seems it must enter the blood stream. Any thoughts, advice, experiences would be greatly appreciated! Also, the local numbing cream used for gum injection contains artificial dyes. I asked Dentist to find something else but not sure if she was able. I bought clove bud oil for this reason. Any one have ideas for numbing the gums so my little guy won't feel the "mosquito" as the Dentist refers to the needle? Thank you all! This site is always a solace for me!!!:
#2 of 12 Old 10-13-2009, 09:57 AM

Hello! My son has 6 stainless steel crowns. He had the first one done when he was 3, and the rest after he turned 4. He also had bad breath while this was all being done, but now that they are all complete, his breath has been normal. He has always had allergies and seemed overly tired. After having his teeth done, he seems to have more energy. It's not drastic, but I think he feels better. Having very decayed teeth can make you feel run down, I think. As for whether or not the crowns are okay in terms of toxins, etc... I don't know. I have wondered the same thing. But honestly, we had no choice. His molars were so decayed, and they decayed so FAST. He had pain in them all the time. Now that they are fixed, it is SO much better.

I started out wanting to do everything the natural way, but finally when it came to this I just trusted the dentist- the one we went to was very good. The novacaine, drilling etc WAS traumatic for my son. I have to be honest. But each kid is different. As for the pinch of the novacaine.... I just let them use the numbing stuff they always use. The pain really scared my son, so numbing that was worth it to me.

Don't know if this will help... but it was our experience.
#3 of 12 Old 10-13-2009, 10:11 AM

Stainless Steel is pretty inert in the human body - it has been tested for many years. My Mom has 50+ year old plates in her leg, no problems.

I would take stainless steel crowns any day over the risks of untreated tooth decay. My son complained about his for a day (some soreness at the gumline) then everything was OK. In fact, he wants to keep the SSC and is sad about the prospect of loosing that molar in a few years.
#4 of 12 Old 10-13-2009, 10:24 AM

I second that- the crowns are so much better than the decay. My son was really suffering and now he's fine. I think the only thing that I wonder about is the "glue" they put under the crown. In my son's case, he had pulpotomies and then they fill the tooth with something and then place the crown on. I don't know what's in the stuff they fill the tooth with. BUT- as Sleeplessmommy said- the crowns are preferable to the decay. Especially since they have their molars until they are 10-12 yrs old!
#5 of 12 Old 10-13-2009, 10:42 AM

We're going through this right now, too. Dd is 5 years old and has had her first 2 crowns. She doesn't like them and will not let us brush them. She will do it herself, though. She has 2 more planned; however, we did NOT like her dentist and ended up hearing really bad things about him, so we have an assessment with another dentist tomorrow. I'm actually hoping there are alternatives with her other teeth; but if not, we will go ahead with them. I don't notice any reactions to the crowns themselves and the two cavities that were filled WERE really bad. They must have happened fast, though, because we were at the dentist 4 months ago and nothing was detected. Good luck.
#6 of 12 Old 10-13-2009, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input and experience. We do have a wonderful Dentist. She has been the reason this entire experience has been tolerable for my child I believe. Keep up all the good mothering!
#7 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I know this old, but I wanted to revisit stainless steel crowns for kids. My DD's tooth has cracked from the fast decay and the pulp is exposed. I am concerned about the nickle content in the SSC, buti don't see any other option. Does anyone have any other input?

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#8 of 12 Old 09-05-2013, 06:12 AM

My son has one stainless steel crown, with the potential of another. My biggest frustration is that my insurance won't cover a stainless steel crown in pediatric patients in a permanent tooth.

He has not had any difficulty adjusting to the crown, nor have I worried about the toxicity. It seems like the most reasonable solution to our problem. When he is an adult, he can switch it for another material: tooth colored or gold. 

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#9 of 12 Old 03-06-2014, 04:12 PM

Hey Mums,

I see that this post is very old now but that might be a good thing as you might be able to tell me how your all still feeling about the SSC now? My 7 y daughter has under gone extensive crowning and now has 8 SSC. It was all very stressful and a whirlwind and i decided to trust her dentist _ who is good, but usually i go natural and holistic with everything. Im now starting to worry we'v down the wrong thing. and i too am worried about the nickel which i didn't know originally was in the crowns. A few of you mentioned your kids had allergies.. and I'm wondering if you've thought about the whole picture as to why the teeth are in this bad shape? Our dentist calls it Enamel Hyperplasia but I'm wondering if its more to do with a diet problem?  Would love any feedback… i know this post is old now but thought id try my luck? thanks x

#10 of 12 Old 03-07-2014, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
We did NOT go with the SSC. And so far so good. My dd teeth are still pretty bad. The one that was cracked we fixed plus the one next to it since the doc was right there and could do them both at the same time. We went to a laser dentist and it definitely seemed to be better than my own experiences, but still painful when they put the actual filling in. We put in a composite (tooth colored) filling. I have some on my molars and they've lasted fine, so I'm not too worried about them making it 5 or 6 years until the teeth fall out naturally.

She still has MANY other cavities on her baby teeth, but she says they're not hurting her, so we're just taking a wait and see approach.

Every doc I've been to thinks that's a bad idea, but they can't give a good reason why. They say it could abscess if the cavity gets too bad, but I say if it starts hurting and going that way we'll deal with it then!

Overall, my advice to you is to just move forward. You can't undo the SSCs (and I certainly don't know if that would be the right answer anyways), so just move forward. They will fall out anyways with her baby teeth.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#11 of 12 Old 03-26-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenharper View Post

Hey Mums,

I see that this post is very old now but that might be a good thing as you might be able to tell me how your all still feeling about the SSC now? My 7 y daughter has under gone extensive crowning and now has 8 SSC. It was all very stressful and a whirlwind and i decided to trust her dentist _ who is good, but usually i go natural and holistic with everything. Im now starting to worry we'v down the wrong thing. and i too am worried about the nickel which i didn't know originally was in the crowns. A few of you mentioned your kids had allergies.. and I'm wondering if you've thought about the whole picture as to why the teeth are in this bad shape? Our dentist calls it Enamel Hyperplasia but I'm wondering if its more to do with a diet problem?  Would love any feedback… i know this post is old now but thought id try my luck? thanks x

Enamel Hypoplasia is what my son has. It is severe in two of his 6 year molars, moderate on one 6 year molar, and mild on another. It also affects his front top teeth, mild-moderate.

We always brushed throughly, and visited the dentist regularly. He had no issues with his teeth until the 6 year molars came in, and they came in discolored and fragile. Enamel Hypoplasia affects the quality and quantity of enamel. My boy is a twin, and his brother is unaffected. In our case, it is considered to be some sort of environmental trigger at the time of tooth development (within the first year after birth) in a genetically susceptible kid. Not diet related, although it can be from "aggressive intubation", medicines, drug exposure, prematurity, illness, fever, or stress. 

In your situation, I would not worry about the stainless steel crowns.  There are very few other options available for such teeth. The teeth with enamel hypoplasia will fragment and crumble or develop large cavities without treatment. My son's teeth were painful-- hot, cold, pressure, sweet all caused pain. He is now pain free. He has 3 SS crowns on permanent teeth. The one molar that is mildly affected is still OK, and we're waiting to work on his front teeth until he is in his teens. 

I strongly recommend using a pediatric dentist that you like and trust. Enamel Hypoplasia requires good home care, routine dental checks, as well as repair of any advancing damage. My son sees a pediatric dentist, and my other kids use the same family dentist I use.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#12 of 12 Old 09-05-2014, 10:39 AM

after 5 years

My son received 14 crowns (all but 6 teeth) in 2009 at the age of 20months. He has just turned 6 and is still very proud of is silver teeth. They have never been a bother or irritant to him. They have formed his very vibrant personality.

The problem I have now is explaining why his teeth are falling out and that the new ones won't be silver anymore. This breaks his heart and he want to get is new big teeth turned silver when they come in. lol

Tags
Dental

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page