More on MI Paste please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-26-2009, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
I would greatly appreciate more info re: MI Paste and kids. I use it (intermittently) to treat my extreme tooth sensitivity, mainly right before dental cleanings. Dd has recently been diagnosed with extremely low mineral content in her teeth (and any info on that would be helpful too!), so I am now considering using it on her. I really like her ped-dentist for many reasons, but he is BIG on the fluoride. I am skeptical of fluoride for all the reasons one normally hears, but also because I have has "Fluoride-bombs" -- teeth become so hard on the outside that decay goes down and in through a teeny tiny hole and there is literally an explosion of decay deep in the tooth. So . . . . Any thoughts? Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 10-26-2009, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, well a handy dandy Google search turned up http://www.mi-paste.com! Very helpful, but I would still appreciate any other first hand experience. I am a bit concerned about all the benzoates (parabens), and am not a fan that it is dairy-derived, but this mama is getting desperate!
#3 of 10 Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 PM

We have used MI-paste on our son. His tooth decay stabilized, allowing us to avoid crowns on the two front baby teeth. We had other interventions at the same time - decreased sugar in the diet, no more raisins, fluoride varnish, improved brushing, sealants on the molars.
#4 of 10 Old 10-30-2009, 08:53 PM

Bump!
#5 of 10 Old 11-01-2009, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, SleeplessMommy (and the bump, rebelmama!). We've also done sealants on the molars, and I am optimistic that will help immensely. I am currently looking up more on actually re-mineralizing her teeth. Turns out dh's bro also had major dental issues as a child, so I am considering the possibility that this may have a genetic component and not just be all my fault! Anyway, I am trying to increase her consumption of mineral water and other things that may help change the mineral content of her saliva. Any thoughts? Also, I am considering switching her over to a minerally rich toothpaste, and not just rely on fluoride. Contrary to my desires, we had her on fluoridated toothpaste, but clearly that hasn't been the answer to her issues. . . .
#6 of 10 Old 11-03-2009, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear View Post
Thanks for the info, SleeplessMommy (and the bump, rebelmama!). We've also done sealants on the molars, and I am optimistic that will help immensely. I am currently looking up more on actually re-mineralizing her teeth. Turns out dh's bro also had major dental issues as a child, so I am considering the possibility that this may have a genetic component and not just be all my fault! Anyway, I am trying to increase her consumption of mineral water and other things that may help change the mineral content of her saliva. Any thoughts? Also, I am considering switching her over to a minerally rich toothpaste, and not just rely on fluoride. Contrary to my desires, we had her on fluoridated toothpaste, but clearly that hasn't been the answer to her issues. . . .
what is a mineral rich toothpaste? (we want names! )
#7 of 10 Old 11-03-2009, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandk0610 View Post
what is a mineral rich toothpaste? (we want names! )
Sure! It's New Co (or NewCo) and I tried a Google search for a site, but only found reviews and sales sites. It's a Canadian product, and though I hadn't heard anything about it, I thought it looks pretty good. It has calcium (good for the saliva) and tea tree oil (good for getting control of the sugar-bugs!). I got the Kiwi-Lime and the kids seem to like it. I also don't super-rinse it off, in an attempt to keep up the mineral-absorption possibilities. HTH!
#8 of 10 Old 11-03-2009, 03:10 PM

I use coral white for DS and myself. It doesn't seem to have any weird preservatives or SLS, etc although it does have some herbal extracts. http://www.coral-cure.com/coral-white-toothpaste.htm Anyone else use it? It's only been about 4 months so I haven't taken DS to the dentist yet to see if it's noticably affecting his teeth.
#9 of 10 Old 11-03-2009, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

#10 of 10 Old 11-04-2009, 02:25 AM

We had a lot of success stabilizing my youngest's significant decay with a xylitol-containing toothpaste. We do use a *bit* of flouride, but just a tiny bit at night, and that toothpaste also contains xylitol. (Kiss My Face brand)

Christine, mama to Daniel & Abby, 9 and Patrick, 4. Wife to a rockin' train engineer. Gluten and nightshade-free. Multiple kiddie food sensitivities.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page