Looking for online sources of CLO, Xylitol, etc. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-30-2009, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 15 month old has cavities in his two beautiful front teeth and I am about to start him on a nutrition/dental hygiene regimen. Anyone have sources they could recommend for things like CLO, Xylitol, MI-paste, probiotics, etc. Would even love to hear about your exact regimen and what products you use. I am a little overwhelmed by all of this. Canadian suppliers would be especially appreciated though I will order from the US if need be.

Thanks!
#2 of 14 Old 11-04-2009, 01:28 AM

We just started using Kiss My Face toothpaste, both the flouride and non-flouride versions have xylitol in them. We use a flouride-free in the morning and a flouride one at night. He started out with 6 cavities in front last summer and as of a month ago has had no new ones since. And that's with continuing to nurse down for naps and bedtime, and during the night sometimes.

Christine, mama to Daniel & Abby, 9 and Patrick, 4. Wife to a rockin' train engineer. Gluten and nightshade-free. Multiple kiddie food sensitivities.

#3 of 14 Old 11-11-2009, 08:03 AM

Sorry, no Canadian links, but for the US:

CLO from

http://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/ca...lthy-fats-oils

or

http://www.drrons.com/

Xylitol and xylitol mints/sours from

http://emeraldforestxylitol.com/index.htm

Spry Xylitol products and Xlear xylitol candy from
www.vitaminshoppe.com

MI Paste from ebay.com

I would also strongly recommend Spiffies tooth wipes with xylitol. I have bought them on ebay before, or drugstore.com has them, too.

We also use Spry Rain, which is a spray containing xylitol. It comes in a twinpack with a bigger bottle for at home and a purse-sized smaller bottle for the road. Great when you can't brush after they had a snack

Hope that helps....good luck
#4 of 14 Old 11-13-2009, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links. I already ordered most of the stuff on your list late last week but will have to keep this handy for the future. Our CLO arrived today and my son actually ate it no problem. Now if only I can get him to drink the raw milk and kefir I bought for him!

DanAbimytwomiracle: That's great news! I hope I have that much luck with preventing DS's from getting any worse.
#5 of 14 Old 11-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelmama View Post
Now if only I can get him to drink the raw milk and kefir I bought for him!
If you have problems getting him to drink it straight, try making a smoothie with it...works like a charm in our house
#6 of 14 Old 11-14-2009, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking I might have to do that. He will not touch the milk or the kefir. Now he won't eat the CLO either. So smoothies it is. What do you use as a sweetener in them? Honey? Maple syrup?
#7 of 14 Old 11-16-2009, 03:46 AM

It depends.

A lot of times I use xylitol, but there are two caveats:

1. It keeps stuff from freezing properly, and since sometimes I use part of the smoothie mix to make popsicles, those times I use honey as sweetener.

2. You need quite a lot of xylitol to sweeten, if you use kefir or yoghurt in the smoothie as well, since they tend to make it a little sour-tasting. And xylitol can cause diarrhea when your intake is more than you're used to. So if you're just starting out with the xylitol, don't overdo it

Oh, and by the way....since he's now refusing to eat it straight, the CLO can be hidden nicely in the smoothie as well...kill all the birds with one stone

Good luck
#8 of 14 Old 11-16-2009, 04:15 AM

Rebelmama: Just wanted to post that I'm in a similar boat. Just found cavities on DS's 2 front teeth. He is 16 months. I'm horrified/appalled/bewildered that this happened. I've been coming here every night to read up and I still feel so overwhelmed. Just wanted to put it out there that I need all the guidance I can get, too!

I feel like I'm still in the info gathering stage, but worried that I'm not starting anything immediately. Did you get your DS into a dentist, too or just going the nutritional route first?

Just putting this post out there so we can support each other and looking for ideas, too! I've seen some regimes but I'd like to see some others, too.

Thanks mamas, for you support and info

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
#9 of 14 Old 11-16-2009, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Denali: Thanks! I made ds a yummy smoothie today with banana, blueberry, peanut butter, kefir, probiotic and a little bit of honey. He lapped it up! Tomorrow I will add the CLO. I've been eating the clo for my own health and because I'm nursing still. I purchased a flavored gel from green pastures....that stuff is nasty! And it lingers too. I have to brush my teeth a couple of times to get rid of the fishy taste in my mouth!!! Anyways, I'll report back tomorrow with the results of that taste test. I'm a little iffy about the xylitol as a sweetener as I'm already giving him about a tsp of the crystals over the course of the day and am really not wanting to overdo it.

Linzie2: It is so upsetting isn't it. Even since first really noticing this just over a month ago I have watched his two front teeth get a little worse and it's just awful. I have also been obsessively following this forum since finding out that I can stop or even reverse this. Anyways, I did take him to the dentist soon after I noticed the decay. She told me to: take fluoride drops, stop night nursing and brush more regularly.

So far I have denied him the breast more often at night in an attempt to slowly and gently night wean him though I am not entirely wanting to and I have my doubts about it causing the decay. I did buy fluoride at first, just because I was feeling panicky about this. What I have done is occasionally(maybe once every other day) mix a drop of it with his toothpaste when brushing so it is more of a topical application(though he's not spitting yet so he is ingesting it). I am brushing 2-3 times a day. He hates it!

Here are the things I am doing that I have basically learned from this forum:

-about a tsp of crystallized xylitol spread throughout the course of the day
-cell salts 3 times a day(Calcium Fluoride, Calcium Sulphate, Silicea)
-cod liver oil/butter oil which I am trying to get him to eat as well as raw milk, kefir and yogurt
-we've always tended towards the Weston A Price way of eating anyways so I am just trying to be as close to that as possible
-I ordered mi-paste and xyltiol wipes(spiffies)

Sounds like overkill I'm sure but I am really not wanting to let this get out of control seeing as I had bad teeth myself as a toddler.

Looking forward to hearing more from all of you!
#10 of 14 Old 11-16-2009, 08:45 PM

omgosh I was just coming here today to ask for help....HELP!! My youngest Ds just came back from the dentist with numerous smaller starter cavities. I was mortified as we have never had to deal with cavaties before for the boys. So Im a little *cavity dumb* . I have heard about the xylitol connection but thats about it. Any info would greatly be appreciated, they are not at the point of needing to be filled but if they begin hurting or continue they would. Ds has some oral issues that make him susciptible to cavaties which we knew about but I was completely floored today.

Is there a natural remedies for cavaties for dummies
#11 of 14 Old 11-17-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelmama View Post
Here are the things I am doing that I have basically learned from this forum:

-about a tsp of crystallized xylitol spread throughout the course of the day
-cell salts 3 times a day(Calcium Fluoride, Calcium Sulphate, Silicea)
-cod liver oil/butter oil which I am trying to get him to eat as well as raw milk, kefir and yogurt
-we've always tended towards the Weston A Price way of eating anyways so I am just trying to be as close to that as possible
-I ordered mi-paste and xyltiol wipes(spiffies)

Sounds like overkill I'm sure but I am really not wanting to let this get out of control seeing as I had bad teeth myself as a toddler.

Looking forward to hearing more from all of you!

I just bought some crystallized xylitol and have been using that on his toothbrush (just started that today). The wipes (spiffies)....when do you use them? We've been brushing 2X daily, I know I need to up that! Should I be brushing with something specific? I've seen Spry (?) mentioned and I looked at it, but the baby gel stuff from Oral-B has xylitol, too. Is it different?

I looked at MI paste too but it was super late and I didn't get it, I guess. That sounds lame

CLO, BO I just ordered.

WAP...I think we loosely eat like this. It's not the foods to be added to the diet, but I think I need a better understanding of what not to eat. We have our own free range chicks whose eggs we eat, DH & kids (and I'm picking it up) eat wild game maybe 1X a week....I'd like to increase that. Going to buy some raw milk tomorrow, although DS hates milk! Smoothietime!

Probiotics....what's a good kind for kids? I guess I've missed the reasoning behind that, too (again, )

We found DS's cavity a week ago yesterday, so again still really overwhelmed! Rebelmama, glad to have someone so close in age/situation to come here to see....here's to some happy stories to tell some other newbies down the line

(PS still nursing and night nursing, too )

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
#12 of 14 Old 12-18-2009, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Finally getting back to this post! Been super busy.

Linzie2: Sorry for my super late reply. To answer your questions: I have been using the spiffies wipes when we are out and don't want to tote xylitol with me or when he eats something requiring a toothbrushing but I don't want to put either one of us throught the trauma of it. As far as toothpaste we have been using the Oral B with xylitol. Maybe someone has a better recommendation? As far as probiotics I just felt it wouldn't hurt to boost the beneficial bacteria in his stomach. Especially if the decay is due to bacteria. I think I read it recommended here somewhere.

I have to say that I am still feeling overwhelmed with this all and that I am trying my best to be committed to it but it is so hard. The CLO for one thing I find disgusting as does my son. I keep having to come up with clever ways to disguise it (yogurts and smoothies) but he eventually figures out what mama is up to and refuses it or spits it out. So, I am getting much more CLO than he is. I find it hard to remember to give him xylitol several times a day so he usually only gets it after each toothbrushing(twice a day) and once or twice during the day. I occasionally use the MI paste(once a week). We eat lots of eggs and sprouted grain bread(this part I find easy). We have been doing raw milk and kefir, but again, I am getting much more of it than he is. He is still nursing so I wonder if it is even necessary for him to have at this time? I am also making chicken bone brothes and freezing the broth and putting it in the meals I make or making big pots of soup. I am waiting on a farm raised cow which I am splitting with my parents and am looking forward to making nourishing meals with that. My sons teeth have not improved from all of this effort though I can't say whether they are getting any worse. Time will tell I suppose.

How are you all doing with your anti-cavity routines?

BTW, I am still night nursing.
#13 of 14 Old 03-04-2010, 01:30 AM

Don't know if someone's interested but thought I'd share just in case:

Radiant Life has a special this week: 10% off orders over 125$

They have all the "good" CLO, butter oil, etc. Other stuff, too.

http://radiantlife.commercev3.com/ca...lthy-fats-oils

Special ends March 5.

Put in "Mar5" as promo code at checkout.

Maybe it'll help someone save a little
#14 of 14 Old 03-13-2010, 04:31 AM

Hi, I'm in the same boat as all the mamas on here. My DD (24mo) has white discoloring on her four top front teeth. I thought it was plaque buildup, but it turns out it is decalcification, which, I guess is a precursor to cavities...
So, I took her to see a holistic dentist today and I just thought I'd spell out his recommendations:
- Diet: Follow something similar to the Weston A Price diet.
- Fermented CLO and x-factor butter. (Specifically Vits D3 and K2)
-Completely cut out bananas and grapes (these are apparently the worst fruits for teeth), as well as all dried fruits.
- For fruit, stick to pears, green apples, kiwi fruit, and any kind of berry.
- If little to no greens are consumed, use Nanogreens or any type of greens powder mixed with pear juice and water.
- No refined sugar or fruit juices, whatsoever
- Dental Hygiene
- Brush and floss at least twice a day
- M I Paste coating the teeth at bedtime. (I'm not sure how this is supposed to work with night nursing. DD only gets about 3-4 hours at the beginning of the night without nursing)
- Xylitol wipes used after meals
We are supposed to go back in 8 months and he expects to see a lot of progress in the restoration of her teeth.
I am not surprised that the condition of her teeth is due to under/malnutrition and lack of hygiene. She still nurses like a fiend and barely eats anything at 2 yrs old, and when she does eat, she is VERY picky. Her hair and nails are relatively brittle as well. She also HATES getting her teeth brushed and holds her top lip over her top teeth so I can't get to them. I know now that this is a battle that I will have to insist on winning
So, this is a big wake-up call for all of us mamas who have kids with bad teeth. I feel like a failure in the way of nutrition and health for my DD. I'm hoping with the above recommendations, we can all get on track to healthy teeth.

Wife & Momma to Echo 2/20/08 and HP 6/11/13

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page