DS has MAJOR decay and I need to decide what to do.
Background: I trust nature to build healthy bodies as long as we have healthy food & healthy environments. We eat whole, organic, seasonal, local food, plenty of protein with every meal, lots of fermented CLO, butter oil, grassfed raw milk, pastured eggs, yogurt & other fermented foods, & occasionally (organic) organ meats. Sweets only on special occasions.
BUT - this didn't happen till after DS's birth (he's our fourth). Before that, it was a very grain-heavy diet (all whole grains, low-sugar) & very lowfat. And throughout all four of my pregnancies & nursing (which lasts for 2+ yrs with each child), I was a major sugar addict.
Each child has had decay on top 4 front teeth start at 18mo, growing much worse through ~30months, and each child has had it worse than the previous one, and continued to have occasional cavities throughout the mouth thereafter. The older three all stopped having cavities at about the same time - when we got off the high processed grain diet & onto raw whole milk.
My baby (he's 2.5 now) has the worst. His top front teeth disappeared entirely, right up to the gumline. Now, I'm very okay with the Wait&See approach. With my 2nd, he had two abscesses that caused no pain & which contained the infection very well & drained it perfectly. Our fairly conservative, but still fairly mainstream ped dds rec'd W&S as long as he had no pain, and 2.5yrs later, the abscessed teeth fell out and were replaced with beautiful healthy adult teeth. My 3rd had four very deteriorated front teeth, two of which wouldn't hold crowns, and they have remained pain-free & w/o further deterioration for 2.5 years.
But the decay on my 4th won't stop. I thought it had, and he had no pain (except on the day after a lot of sugar, like a birthday party, then it went right away), but I noticed his breath was starting to stink - reek, actually - and the B & I molars were starting to get huge - I mean HUGE - cavities on the facial sides. Then one day I looked, and his B molar was gone, right down to the root or maybe further.
. It's just not sealing up or stabilizing like the other kids.
He gets 1mL fCLO/day, with butter oil and lots of raw milk daily. I can't get him to drink bone broth regularly, although I do use it for lots of stews, etc. Occasionally he'll share an "egg drink" with me - raw milk w/ raw egg, nutmeg, & vanilla extract. I think he could probably get more of the superfoods, but it's very hard to get him to take more.
The first DDS he saw flipped out, rec'd 8 extractions (w/ baby dentures), 4 pulpotomies + stainless steel crowns, & 5 fillings, in the hospital. She was a sub. I saw our regular ped DDS today and she rec'd 4 extractions (top front four worn down to the gum & look open, although no pain, ever - one appears to have the gum boil that indicates a nicely draining abscess), 1 pulpotomy + SSC (the missing molar), & no fillings (Wait&See).
I need to know real risks. I've looked all over the internet, across the WPF website, much of the remineralization thread, through Cure Tooth Decay & Rami's website, and just need to know more info about the risks of treating & not treating. Even our no-mercury, no-standard-root-canals family DDS says something needs to be done for DS.
- What are the real risks & alternatives to SSCs? Gold, resin? What's worse, nickel, gold, or the plastics in the resin? (If decay it really from the inside out, and I believe it is, why do crowns stop decay at all?)
- What are the real risks & alternatives to pulpotomy? Does it have the same serious risks of bloodstream infiltration as full root canals? Can those be ameliorated by ozone treatment, like regular root canals? If there's no other option, is extraction safer, plus perhaps a spacer if it's a molar?
- What are the real risks & alternatives to extraction? What steps best prevent cavitations from uncleaned extractions or dry socket? What are the risks to permanent tooth placement - dds says it's no risk if front teeth, major risk if molar - ? DS does eat & speak perfectly fine, even with no upper front teeth. Cosmetics are no concern; they're homeschooled.
- What are the real alternatives to fluoride varnish? I hate fluoride; won't use it. What's better?
- What are the real risks of leaving an actively decaying tooth in the mouth? I feel confidant about leaving a stable one, and about watching for any signs of spreading infection, but some dentists say decay can infect, or minimally, pit, the underlying permanent teeth - true? What are the chances, and can anything be done to lessen that risk?
- What would *you* do about the four front teeth & a molar worn to the gumline w/ no sign of slowing decay anywhere in the mouth?
I'm so sorry this has turned out to be so long. I really appreciate the insight of the mamas here. I've tried to do the research on my own, but can't find enough info from anyone who understands that nutrition is at the heart of these problems & that parents *can* keep an eye out for progression even while taking a responsible W&S approach. TIA!!!