Peridontal gum surgery - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2009, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone knowledgeable on peridontal gum surgery? I am only 28 but have the worst teeth for anyone my age (every molar and a few front teeth filled, root canaled, capped, extracted, PS I know many here are against root canals but I felt strongly for me that it wasn't right to pull 3 teeth before the age of 30). I even had NO sugar for 6 months while on an anti-candida diet, flossed and ate bone broth and CLO daily and I STILL got cavities during that period. Blah anyways that's my backround.

I have been told by a couple of dentists and periodontists that I need periodontal gum surgery for my 2 bottom front teeth. They say I could lose the teeth in a matter of a few years, and show me scary pictures of what could happen.

I've been told this for 6 years now and haven't noticed it get worse or better.

So I am wondering: is the periodonist just telling me this because it is his specialty and he makes money on it (like the oral surgeon who said I need my wisdom teeth out when my dentist said my wisdom teeth are just fine, just need fillings)?

I am mainly leery of it because any surgery requires antibiotics afterwords and I already have antibiotic induced gut problems. Then again, I could lose my teeth then have to get implants, which would require antibiotics after that surgery, so I'd rather keep my own teeth thank you. I'd also like to get it out of the way while I am in the middle of gut healing so I can keep on working to heal my gut after this round of antibiotics.

*Sigh* what to do. I know it is so un natural all this dental work I am getting, but I have no choice as even with a nutrient dense sugar free diet I still am cavity prone. For me it is just genetic, my grandmother had lost almost all but her canine teeth and had partials by age 60!

Any advice/experience?

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2009, 02:00 AM

I'm so sorry to hear all of the dental issues you've had to go through. I've been through more than my share as well so I can relate to some of them.

You might want to check out the Smile Method. http://www.albrite.com/gum_disease_summary.html

Check out the links at the bottom of the page.

It sounds like it couldn't hurt w/those 2 bottom front ones. You might be able to find the book at the library to check it out, but I think the applicators have to be ordered through their website.

gl
hth

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

Old 11-23-2009, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that link, I think it is definitely worth a try. Also DH has the same issue to a much less degree with the same teeth, so this would nip that in the bud for him.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalmom View Post

I'm so sorry to hear all of the dental issues you've had to go through. I've been through more than my share as well so I can relate to some of them.

You might want to check out the Smile Method. http://www.albrite.com/gum_disease_summary.html

gl
hth
Did you try this? I've been thinking about it, but I haven't done it yet.

OP, I would do this before gum surgery again which was expensive and i wonder if this would have made it unnecessary.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 PM

Reviving this thread. Just was diagnosed with advance periodontal disease myself. *sigh* I'm only 32 and have had many, many extractions/procedures/deep root scaling/cleaning. Nothing works. My teeth just suck. I attribute it to life-long thyroid disease but that's another sad topic!

Anyone do this Smile Method treatment with success? I really don't want the surgery either!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

Old 07-04-2012, 04:50 PM

I am curious about this Smile method too. Anyone?

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I would get 2 and 3 d opinion. If they concur, do it.  I had this done at 24. I am so glad. My dental health improved and I have all my teeth.

I also do cleaning every 3 instead of 6 months. I have electrical toothbrush and I am religious flosser.

User Tag List