Does a toothache automatically mean a root canal is needed? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-12-2010, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got a toothache in one of my teeth. I knew it needed to be filled but I had two others that seemed to be bigger priority and limited funds...so those other two were done first.

I'm just wondering if since the tooth is hurting now does that mean I will need a root canal? I wish I had this one done first!

Any suggestions for helping a toothache in the meantime? I've tried ibuprofen and it's not doing anything.
#2 of 10 Old 01-12-2010, 07:11 PM

I don't think so. I could be wrong but you might just need a filling. Try Oragel, maybe, for the pain.

I feel you though, the last 3 days I can barely eat. I have a wisdom tooth trying to come in, even though it's impacted. My jaw is killing me.

Maybe I should take my own advice on the oragel. I forgot we had it. lol.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#3 of 10 Old 01-14-2010, 10:01 AM

You could try putting vanilla extract on a qtip on the tooth, same with toothpaste. I read about this and tried it when I had extreme tooth pain(ended up with root canal)and it did provide a bit of relief. My dentist was willing to prescribe vicodin for the pain b/c I had to wait a few days to be seen and was extremely miserable. Google natural tooth pain rememedies. There's some really interesting stuff out there!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#4 of 10 Old 01-14-2010, 03:35 PM

I went to the dentist recently for a cavity filling. He determined that I needed a root canal by tapping my teeth with the butt end of one of his metal instruments. When he got to the tooth with the cavity, it was excruciating, even though I'd had no prior pain in that tooth. He said that was a pretty good indicator that I needed a root canal. Hope this helps. Good luck!
#5 of 10 Old 01-14-2010, 03:48 PM

My sister is a CDA so I sent her a pm for you She'll probably be online later tonight.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#6 of 10 Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 PM

Try clove oil! My toothache did end in a root canal and the pain was horrible. The only thing that helped numb it a bit until I could see the dentist in the morning was clove oil, it worked better than anything else I tried- and I tried alot!

Loving mama to M. 09/2007 and K. 10/2009. Married to my soul mate :
#7 of 10 Old 01-15-2010, 12:12 AM

Ok my sister replied. Keep in mind, she sounds kinda blonde, but she's a straight A student.
This is what she said:

no it doesnt mean root canal.

if it is sensitive to hot stuff it could/most likely be root canal. teeth generally arent sensitive to hot. like so if you cant drink coffee cause it hurts. or.... eating dinner or soup is uncomfortable. or.. it is keeping u up at night, or u cant stand pressure on it like biting and whatnot. so like try to bite on a carrot? ouchy? then yes most likely. but sometimes ppl also have very minimal symptoms and need a root canal.

.....and if there is pus or a bump below it then that means yes. lol...

could mean there is a big cavity. or it could be hyperemic or w/e.. dno how it is spelled.. and just reacting. then it can revert back to healthy. not all pain needs root canals...

ppl will generally have long lingering pain, and heat sensitivity when they need a root canal.

#8 of 10 Old 01-17-2010, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! It's not sensitive to heat.

I have terrible teeth and have had a bunch of cavities but rarely any pain. In fact, I've really only had one other toothache besides this one and that one did need a root canal.

It's been sort of off and on. Like today I was ok but tonight it's starting to hurt again. It hurts but it's not excruciating.

I know I need to just go in but money is really tight right now and our insurance will cover 80% for a filling but 50% for a root canal that could be $1000. A filling would be manageable but I'm afraid I won't know if I need a root canal until he starts working on it.

Where does one buy clove oil? All I have is imitation vanilla extract--I doubt that will help. I have a couple leftover Tylenol 3 but I don't want to take it b/c I'm nursing.
#9 of 10 Old 01-17-2010, 12:24 AM

No problem. Hope you can get it fixed

#10 of 10 Old 01-18-2010, 10:06 PM

Not sure where you are located but I bought mine at a local drug store(London Drugs) -they had it in a small glass bottle beside all the tooth ache and cold sore stuff. Of course natural pharmacies and food stores should have it too.

Loving mama to M. 09/2007 and K. 10/2009. Married to my soul mate :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page