Questioning merits of Orthodontia. Please weigh in! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think it is too early for me so I will ask - what is CST?

#62 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 05:46 AM

Sorry, it's craniosacral therapy.  My kids have gone from birth and we've seen it be effective for a wide range of things.  I happen to be extremely lucky to have 2 practitioners near me that at the top of their field.  They've been practicing for 20+ years each (one 30+)  I think part of the reason there's been so much progress for us is their skill level.  Not all practitioners are created equally.  For us, one is a PT and one is a DC.  Both specialize in pediatrics.

I know plenty of people who go and have good results with local practitioners, but I think it's important to have a referral or recommendation.

#63 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 06:30 AM

Thanks PB.  I am wondering if the Chiro I see does CST...

#64 of 67 Old 09-02-2012, 07:40 PM

Bumping up this thread...

They've just recommended expanders for my eight year old whose teeth are too big and are blocking her canines from coming in. They say it is to avoid extraction

That seems like a lot of expansion ...the distance for two big teeth to fit in her jaw? ... Is that safe??

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#65 of 67 Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 AM

i would guess that any carefully controlled expanders are far safer and better for the mouth than letting the teeth barge their sway in. they certainly are not going to do more than is needed. if a ortho wanted to do something like that to me or my kid and showed me why and explained the alternative, i would feel totally comfortable doing it

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#66 of 67 Old 09-13-2012, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subhuti View Post

Bumping up this thread...
They've just recommended expanders for my eight year old whose teeth are too big and are blocking her canines from coming in. They say it is to avoid extraction
That seems like a lot of expansion ...the distance for two big teeth to fit in her jaw? ... Is that safe??

My son was about that age when he had a palate expander.  They recommended extractions but only of baby teeth which weren't falling out.  He had quite a bit of pain but I never felt it was unsafe.  He's been in braces since the expander came out, maybe a year and a half ago.  He's got another year to go now, then a retainer, then probably braces again as a teen.

Bring back the old MDC
#67 of 67 Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:

It just makes me wonder if orthodontia isn’t simply a very commonly accepted body modification for questionable benefit

This is true except instead of questionable benefit I would write cosmetic benefit. Most people get braces for a straight smile, not health reasons.It sounds to me like the benefit of straight teeth for you was less important for you than going through all the ortho work. I personally think it is worth it. I have 1 kid in braces and I would get them myself except that I have no insurance coverage and one othro bill  at a time is enough. I too had them as a child and now my teeth are all crooked again becuase I never wore retainers. I didn't realize they were a life long commitment and only worth a few years. I would love to have invisaline, mybe next year.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page