6 year old "needing" $2,400 in dental work? WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2010, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It has taken me about 3 days to even be able to write this as I have just been sooo upset about this. My dd is 6 and has always had dental problems. Meaning cavities and thin enamel on her teeth. Her dentist has always said that genetically she just has bad teeth. Well long story short, her dentist passed away and we have been searching for a new dentist. During this time, she lost 2 fillings (I am not sure why or how, but it happened.) I took her in to a pediatric dentist on Monday.. they said that she needs about $2,400 in work done including extracting 2 teeth (the 2 that the fillings were lost on) and placing metal spacers that cement to the roof of her mouth since the teeth are scheduled to be lost at 10-11 and 12 years of age. crowning another tooth, and more cavities.. I am devastated. She will flip out if I let them cement a metal appliance to her mouth! She is so sensitive about things like that I mean she wigs out if there is a wrinkle in her sock!! What do I do? I am getting a second opinion, but 2 of the 3 dentists that I called wouldn't even see her and both said that for that extensive work she needs to be seen by a pediatric dentist and recommened the place that I originally took her to..

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Check "FAMILY" dentists.

When my ds was 18 mos old I was told he needed $3400 worth of dental work done. There was no available opening at the time, he was put on a "waiting" list almost a year away. My mom started researching other things to do. And lots of prayer. We ended up using Xylitol and homeopathic cell salts.

We discovered a "family" dentist who took little children, so when ds was 4 he had one tooth extracted [he had fallen and broke the root] and 1 tooth filled. Cost: less than $200.

Three excellent Xylitol sites are:
www.zellies.com
www.epicdental.com
www.xlear.com

And for cell salts:
www.elixirs.com
www.1-800homeopathy.com

My ds has been cavity-free since.

Hope this helps. :>))
Old 01-30-2010, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.healthyfamilies.ca.gov/Home/default.aspx
http://www.dentalcareforchildren.org/
http://events.sbsun.com/san-bernardi...ed-children-sb

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Old 01-30-2010, 02:14 AM

Dental schools?
Old 01-30-2010, 02:18 AM

I thought the gums receded after an extraction, would a spacer keep that from happening? Or did my dentist fib when he told me that it would recede without an implant in it's place

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
Old 01-30-2010, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

I am not really worried about the $$$$ aspect, if she needs it, I will find a way to pay for it, but my main concern is if it is necessary or over the top??

I did make an appoint for monday with a family dentist in our area, just to see what treatment plan he would go for..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTX View Post
I thought the gums receded after an extraction, would a spacer keep that from happening? Or did my dentist fib when he told me that it would recede without an implant in it's place
I don't know! I haven't even thought about receeding gums if they are pulled!! I need to check that out more.. Thank you!!

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg

User Tag List