Abrasion on teeth - what to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 02-19-2010, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are hoping to start to try to conceive another child soon, and because of that we focus on preconception health now. But we have a challenge concerning my husbands teeth. He is 35 and his dentist says that she is afraid that his front teeth will break. She says that they are so thin because the way he bites make the upper teeth and the loweer teeth meet. The upper front teeth used to be straight at the bottom (where they meet the bottom teeth), but now they are at an angle. It's not what she calls decay, it is wear, abrasion.
Her solution to this is removing some amalgam fillings that he has had for 15 - 20 years in some side teeth, replacing them with another filling material and building extra layers on top of the side teeth to make them higher. Thereby, she says - the distance between the upper teeth and the lower teeth at the front will be bigger, and so the teeth will not get so much friction. She says that if she doesn't do this - the front teeth could break and then she would have to do rooth canals.
We live in Norway, and here there are no "holistic dentists", or any awareness of the cause of tooth decay being anything else than sugar consumption and bacteria.

Just to explain where we are at, during the last year I have read Nourishing traditions and The fourfold path to healing, and we are trying to change our diets and live according to the recommendations there. I have recently read "Healing our children" and "Cure tooth decay" by Ramiel Nagel.

Of course, after having read those books I have many concerns about the dentists solution:
- How long can we try to remineralize the teeth first? She says that we don't have much time. I first tried to talk him into waiting until august (we hope to conceive by then), but the dentist says that is taking a risk and that the teeth might have broken by then.
- If he needs to do something now to prevent the teeth from breaking, have you ever heard about another method for trying to give the teeth more room? Could the ALF method that is described in Nagels book be something? (Advanced Lightwire Functional)
- If she is building an extra layer on top of the side teeth, does he have the same risk of infection leading to possible chronic disease as is seen in some rooth canals? What can we ask for to make sure the prosedure is done as safely as possible?
- Do you think that she could build on top of the amalgam fillings, just leaving them in there since the pollution risk is high during removal? Or could that present a problem later on? (If he needs to remove the amalgam I am not comfortable trying to conceive at the same time, because of the pollution risk from the mercury during the removal. And waiting for the mercury poison to be out of his system so that it is safer to try to conceive could mean that it would be difficult for us to have another child)
- do you think he can achieve a good remineralization effect even though not completely avoiding some things that he is not willing to give up: coffee, regular bread on occasion and chewing gum every day. I do provide him with fermented cod liver oil, raw milk, raw eggs, oysters, ecological vegetables and fish broth and meat broth, chicken liver and pasture fed meat. We make our own butter from raw milk. Please tell me if you think strict avoidance is the only way to go. If so, I will tell him and hope he is willing.

Thank you very much for any input!

Happy mama to DD 04 and 08 April 2011

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page