WOOHOO! WAP diet worked - I'm cavity-free - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-22-2010, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, 2 years ago I had a cleaning and was told I have 8 small cavities in my back molars that need filling (basically the 2 back teeth on both sides, top and bottom.)
I decided to look into dietary stuff before going back to get the dental work done, and I found this section of MDC (funnily enough, never stumbled in here before), and all this info about Weston Price diet and traditional foods and stuff.
So, total diet-turn-around. and 2 years of raw, organic, pastured milk, loads of the best butter I can get my hands on, and in the last 12 months, also organ meats and bone broths, etc (took a while to work up to that one), as well as Green pastures fermented CLO and high-vit butter oil...

I went to the dentist today for a cleaning... he said:
"your teeth are in perfect condition and they should last the rest of your life if you continue to take care of them"

AWESOME!
I'm so stoked!
When I questioned the dentist if he was *sure* there wasn't any cavities, because 2 years ago I was told I needed fillings, he said "oh, there's one tooth with a tiny little brown spot, but I wouldn't worry about that, as long as you keep brushing".
So that's it
I went from 8 small cavities to 1 tiny brown spot.
Funnily enough, when I started on this trip, several people told me I'd get fat eating all that butter and stuff, but I haven't gained a pound

I still have to work on one cavity 6yo dd has; so far it's under control, but not getting smaller - it's a baby tooth though.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#2 of 17 Old 02-22-2010, 06:31 AM

That is so awesome! Did you do anything else in addition? Did you eliminate any foods entirely? Do cell salts? Use xylitol? Brush your teeth with anything in particular?
#3 of 17 Old 02-22-2010, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Didn't eliminate anything. I still eat sugar (albeit mostly unrefined, organic sugar, but I do indulge in crappo cookies from the supermarket sometimes), I still eat acidic foods, and all the stuff I was eating before.
I didn't do cell salts, or xylitol. I brush my teeth with a regular, organic toothpaste from the health food store - I was using Weleda salt toothpaste, till I found out it has glycerin in it and glycerin blocks remineralisation, so I found another, flouride-free toothpaste without glycerine. I think it's aloe-vera-based.

#4 of 17 Old 02-22-2010, 06:46 AM

Wow, that is just awesome! Very encouraging to hear!
#5 of 17 Old 02-22-2010, 07:36 AM

Yeah, Majik!!!! That's awesome!!!!!!!
#6 of 17 Old 02-22-2010, 10:00 AM

Yay

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#7 of 17 Old 02-22-2010, 12:15 PM

would you mind sharing the differences in diet before and after your tooth healing?
#8 of 17 Old 02-22-2010, 12:40 PM

#9 of 17 Old 02-22-2010, 12:47 PM

Your post has completely inspired me! I'm always having tooth problems, and worry about them all the time. It's great to hear that a diet can help that. I just read up on it, and it sounds brilliant. My fiance has been looking into the primal diet for a while, and this has got me interested in it, being similar to what you mentioned. Unfortunately raw milk is illegal in Scotland, which sucks, but I can get good cream and butter from the farmer's market.

So thanks for motivating me, I really want to give it a go. And from what you say it seems to be very effective!
#10 of 17 Old 02-22-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

My diet before I started on this was mostly organic food, mostly vegetarian. I didn't eat raw dairy though, and never things like bone broths or organ meats.

and FTR, raw milk is illegal here too. It's sold in some places as "Bath Milk", meant for "cosmetic use only", and around here there's a few farms that will let you buy milk direct (though it's technically illegal). There's even one place where they spend hours chanting mantras over the cows and giving them reiki

#11 of 17 Old 02-23-2010, 12:47 AM

Majik, how important do you feel the raw part of the milk is? Raw milk is legal, but SO expensive, and we could either drink a little raw milk, or far more mostly grass-fed low temperature pasturized milk and other grass-fed dairy, and I'm curious what you think in terms of dental health? Is it mostly the K2 in the milk? or other factors?

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#12 of 17 Old 02-23-2010, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

I've no idea how important being *raw* is. I'm lucky enough to get raw milk relatively cheaply - it's slightly more than the pasteurised organic milk, and about double the crappo supermarket milk. I don't know what the factors are, just that getting raw, organic, pastured dairy is the thing. though I do read that pasteurisation doesn't destroy the x-factor.

oh, and I love your sr. title, btw

#13 of 17 Old 02-28-2010, 04:01 PM

Wow that is great... im looking into starting the diet to. Just 19 months ago before ds I had good teeth but now developped some small cavities. I feel so drained and eat erratically, while mostly organic wayyyy too much sugar. Can we discuss what I can do in ur experience…
Im fine cutting sugar and flour. But pasta is a staple for me, is whole wheat ok if I rinse with baking soda after eating? What about coffee? And raw milk isnt available around here... is organic milk ok? I cannot eat organs, I just cant. What else can I do and where do I get bone broth? Is fish oil good that I take? Can I take vit d3 and cod liver derived vitamin a as a substitute? How can I get extra calcium? Which butter brand do u recommend?
I just ditched fluoride toothpaste for tooth powder and act for perigum rinse (cayenne in ther kills bacteria, hopefully strepto aurens as well). I really want to do this and find giving up sugar not too bad but organ meats are really not my thing. Is there a vit k supplement availabe somewhere?
#14 of 17 Old 02-28-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

um... i never gave up wheat or sugar.
but i only eat organic, whole wheat, and unrefined sugar.
bone broth you make yourself. no doubt you can find a recipe here on mdc or google it.
kerry gold is supposedly good butter, but i live in australia so i don't know.
dark green leafy veg is important. (like kale)
and the best quality cod liver oil you can get.

#15 of 17 Old 03-01-2010, 05:19 AM

nia, maybe you can check out the traditional foods forum for more answers. there are a lot of people there who follow this type of diet, for many reasons, however we should be able to give you lots more help there.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#16 of 17 Old 03-01-2010, 08:32 AM

May I join your cult please...I would love to shock the shiznit outta the ladies at my dental office! I have a cavity (small) but am refusing to have it filled because I am 20wks pregnant. The doc was really nice about it. The hygenist was appaled that I was recommending she eat tons of butter but perked up when she heard that I lost weight ( I eat alot of tf but not the dairy part of it). So I think it would be a great example to go in and show them what an amzing diet can do!
I am needing toothpaste right now, do you know the name of yours?
#17 of 17 Old 03-01-2010, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

the toothpaste i use is called "riddels creek organic toothpaste" but it's from Australia, so no doubt you either can't get it or it would be prohibitively expensive with shipping. i'm sure there's loads of threads with good toothpastes.
and yes, you can join my cult

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page