question about healing cavities - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-25-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have some amalgams that I plan to have removed. I've had them for about 16 years. I've been following a traditional foods diet, with lots of raw cheese, bone broth, clo & butter oil, for 3.5 years. Does anyone know if it is possible that my teeth could be healing, underneath the fillings? If not, could I just get the fillings removed, not replace them, and then attempt to regrow the dentin through good nutrition?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-26-2010, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think they can heal under the amalgams, I think it's a topical process, enamel building up or wearing down from the surface.

I've wondered about whether it's possible to just remove the amalgam and do nothing, and basically treat it like healing a cavity from that point, but I have no idea if it's possible/probable.
#3 of 3 Old 02-26-2010, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi I was a dental assistant for a number of years before I became a SAHM. The answer to your first question is no there wouldn't be any healing under the fillings mainly because there is nothing to heal, the decay and hopefully the bacteria were removed when the tooth was drilled so there isn't really anything to heal.

The answer to your second question is no you don't want to leave dentin exposed at all. It is porous and despite your very healthy diet, our mouths are FULL of bacteria and having that porous dentin exposed will only open you up to more fillings and possibly root canal, etc. In addition I know that some recent research has shown that decay bacteria can be transferred just by kissing.

And finally as for the dentin regrowing I have never heard of it and I don't know if it is possible. Teeth are formed in our jaw before they emerge they are fully formed just the root tip needs to finish closing and that is done in our youth. There is a blood supply which feeds nerve endings to let us know when things are too hot or cold or there is decay or other problems.

I hope this has been helpful and the only other thing I would add is if you do replace those fillings you may need additional work sometimes these things open you up to root canal etc I was taught that if no decay shows up on your yearly oral xrays don't touch it. I wanted to say that I think it is wonderful that you have been so diligent with your diet, gotta love those healthy bacteria in that raw cheese, we do that too.

Good Luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page