Things to look for in a dentist - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-26-2010, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi! I need to find a new dentist, and pronto, as I'm having major tooth pain. I had one I liked well enough, before my crunchier days, but having heard some major issues with that office, I left and haven't been back. Since becoming more aware of issues with our standard health care in general, I have hesitated to find a new dentist because of an unfamiliarity with the issues, options, and best course.

So, now that I NEED one, can you tell me what you would look for in a dentist? What kinds of questions would you ask in selecting one?

There are a billion nearby, some as close as walking distance, plus one "biological dentist" (an hour away) and one advertising "natural dentistry" with a whole-body/health approach (20-30min away). I've left messages for the latter two, but my DH is pushing me to see a conventional dentist that's on our insurance to at least get an idea of what's going on. (The nearer "natural" dentist does at least bill insurance for me, even though they'd be out of network.)

I just want to know that the dentist I choose has an approach I can trust, and I'm not even sure where to start in finding out! So any help/hints/tips in finding a more naturally-minded, holistic dentist would be superb.

And did I mention there's an office nearby billing itself as "eco-dental" - but all that appears to mean is they have a nice office and use less paper? They don't appear to have any holistic bent at all. And that's the kind of trap I do NOT want to fall for.

Thanks!!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#2 of 4 Old 03-02-2010, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Seriously? No one has any input?

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#3 of 4 Old 03-03-2010, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heather,
What are your concerns? What kind of stuff are you looking for or not looking for?

Mama to three  
#4 of 4 Old 03-04-2010, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

That's really kind of the question.. What *should* I be concerned about? What's important to look for, and what would a good dentist NOT do?

At the moment, I do need a regular ol' dentist for cleanings, etc. I also need one for my kids. Additionally, I have some serious tooth pain that I should probably have addressed at this point.

While I've found a few referrals for dentists around town, it's hard to even know what to ask them about to get a feel for whether or not I can trust them and their advice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page