Front incisors loose after accident! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-09-2010, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mamas, help, I need some advice! My almost 3 yo dd just had an accident today and whacked her mouth on a metal bar, hard enough to make her cry and completely loose her normal cool for a long time, which is really unusual for her. She was bleeding quite a bit, but it stopped after about 5-7 min.Tonight I finally checked her teeth and both upper incisors are loose and wiggle. What am I to do here? I've heard that they would maybe fall out on their own. We don't have dental insurance to do something expensive that might or might not hold her poor little teeth in place. What do I need to watch out for? I would imagine a possible infection, and what can I do to minimize that? How long will it be tender? Is it better to visit the dentist and have them pulled?

unschooling mama with Toots'n Fruits (6) and BeenzieBoo (3)
#2 of 3 Old 03-09-2010, 10:54 AM

I just went through this with my 9 yo. I would visit the dentist to have x-rays taken to make sure your dc didn't fracture anything.

I don't think they would just pull the teeth. In dd's case, they had me keep her on a soft diet for two weeks and then come for a follow up to see if there were any signs of an infection forming at the roots. If there was, they would likely have done root canals. I don't know what they'd do for baby teeth, but they tend to like to keep them in place for as long as is normal.
#3 of 3 Old 03-09-2010, 11:22 AM

I fell at a mall one time (I was maybe 9 years old?) hard enough to knock my front two (permanent) teeth loose. I was just careful eating for a little while, and pretty soon they were back to normal. Those teeth and I are still very close to this day... they're pretty attached to me.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page