SHOCKED!! My 1st trip to a *biological* dentist today.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-11-2010, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let's just say that I came out having spent almost $500. I had a cleaning, an exam, and left with a super fancy tooth brush that my entire family can use if I purchase different "heads."

What's shocking is that I was told I have 20 teeth that hold decay. What's weird is that back in August I went to a regular dentist and was told I had 8 cavities.

Who do I believe? Well, the dentist who told me I had 8 cavities also said it was A-okay for her to remove OLD cavities w/silver(amalgam?) to "get to the new decay." (((WHAT?? NOOOOO!!!) I'm not a dentist, but I know enough to know that that is a no-no!! So, not gonna listen to her...

The biological dentist's hygentist cried when I told her my health history and she looked at my teeth. The dentist himself seemed frustrated. I was just stunned by the cost and the crisis that brought me to him. He said I had been a victim of the ADA, and while felt bad for me, was just concerned that I get my teeth/mouth in better shape.

I was eating this AM when part of a tooth broke off! I was holding a silver filling in my hand, ran to the sink, rinsed and spit. Called this dentist I knew of, and drove right there.

Hours later I find out I have 20 teeth that have decay. It gets worse, but overall, this dentist is NOT a scammer, and is instead very thorough. The other dentists have just taken my money and passed on the problems.

Sadly, the tooth that cracked and came off today was a tooth that I had had FOUR ROOT CANALS on. You read that right. Call that stage of my life the "stupid, no access to 'net stage."

Any advice? I have no dental insurance, don't qualify for the dental plan, and really like this dentist. He mentioned the Weston Alan Price Movement, which I've read about a tiny bit here and there.

Confused, stunned.

Me-The sad thing about truth, is that it has the ability to repel people.
#2 of 12 Old 03-11-2010, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow I've been through a roller coaster finding a dentist that I trusted. It is hard and exhausting. I love my dentist now but he doesn't know anything about WAP, that would be a dream come true.
I just went to the dentist today also. I think I'm going to have my amalgam replaced so I came over here to do a little reading. Hope you find a way to stick with your new dentist!
#3 of 12 Old 03-11-2010, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
Wow I've been through a roller coaster finding a dentist that I trusted. It is hard and exhausting. I love my dentist now but he doesn't know anything about WAP, that would be a dream come true.
I just went to the dentist today also. I think I'm going to have my amalgam replaced so I came over here to do a little reading. Hope you find a way to stick with your new dentist!
Ugh, I'm so sorry. Bummer!! Please, Toolip, you do know that extremely special precautions have to be taken to replace your amalgam, right? Is that why you're here? Searching?

Yes, the WAP, it is big where I live, I just got an email from a friend who is going to give me a local contact. I know it involves Raw milk, which my family has tried-and rejected. I'm not sure how it all plays into my dental problems, but it sounds like my friend is sending me some info. I feel so out of my comfort zone all of a sudden. And why would this dentist be into Weston Price stuff??

That's cool that you like your dentist. The guy I saw today has odd "chair-side manners."

#4 of 12 Old 03-11-2010, 02:29 PM

Weston A Price was able to heal tooth decay with diet, and he was a dentist. That is why your dentist SHOULD be into WAP.

I'm sorry you've had to go through all of this with your teeth. I, too, have a horrible history with dentists and dental problems. I really feel for you. It would be wonderful if I could find a dentist that knows about and respects WAP. Good luck!

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
#5 of 12 Old 03-12-2010, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri'sgirl View Post
Weston A Price was able to heal tooth decay with diet, and he was a dentist. That is why your dentist SHOULD be into WAP.
Oh, geesh. Yes, I read more about this today-and knew it before- but had forgotten. So much homework to do, and praying my brain holds all the info.

Thanks.

#6 of 12 Old 03-19-2010, 11:47 AM

the wap diet is all good advice but once you have teeth and filling falling out i dont think diet will completely cure these problems. i too have an awful dental history. i feel like dentists who DONT educate parents on proper nutrition are the real scammers, they either dont know, or they choose to not educate so they can make more money filling more teeth.
#7 of 12 Old 03-26-2010, 02:13 PM

What is your health history?

Yes, all fillings that are "silver" colored are mercury amalgam fillings. It's ridiculous that the term "silver" is used to make them sound acceptable. They do leak mercury into your body on continual basis but especially when placed and removed. Most wisdom tooth posts have mercury amalgam fillings as well.

See "Curing Cavities with Nutrition" sticky above this form for Dr. Weston Price's information. You are facing a long road, but I would recommend starting to research safe removal depending on your health issues. My dentist who removed my fillings safely is also a Weston Price dentist. Personally I think all dentists who do not know about his incredible findings re: teeth and diet are missing the true cause of cavities. And indeed total body health.
#8 of 12 Old 03-26-2010, 03:56 PM

$500 on cleaning & exam and toothbrush seems a bit excessive.

I was pregnant in 2008/2009. I had my dentist appt after delivery and was shocked that I had 5 cavities. I went to another dentist for a 2nd opinion and he found 6 cavities, 4 needing attention and 2 on a 'watch' list. I found a holistic dentist in the Twin Cities area and he has now replaced 5 cavities, filled a 6th and I have one more, plus I needed a new cap. I never knew being pregnant could suck the enamal off my teeth.

This dentist whom I do trust gave me an estimate on each procedure and a clear list of what to address first - or the most dire teeth - then we are down to just one last mercury amalgam filling.

See if your dentist will give you a price estimate. Then see if he can work out a payment plan with you. See if he will take less if you pay cash (Mine reduces bill by 7% for cash paying customers).

I have briefly looked at the WAP site. From what I gather the extra high value butter oil is what you should use and it too is very expensive. I will be going back to that site to help my teeth out so I don't need futher work.

I have only 1 silver amalgam filling left and told him I'll pay cash to have that removed. Dentist said that pretty much all silver amalgam fillings have decay under them and if there is decay he'll submit to insurance.

Back to your situation - can you find dental insurance for next year and then deal with the worst teeth this year?

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

#9 of 12 Old 03-26-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Well, the dentist who told me I had 8 cavities also said it was A-okay for her to remove OLD cavities w/silver(amalgam?) to "get to the new decay." (((WHAT?? NOOOOO!!!) I'm not a dentist, but I know enough to know that that is a no-no!! So, not gonna listen to her...
Adding - if you have decay around or under the silver/mercury amalgam fillings, those need to come out and the decay removed and a new filling placed on it. I'm not sure what you think is a no-no, but removing silver fillings can in the long run be highly beneficial to your overall health.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

#10 of 12 Old 03-31-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryllynn View Post
$500 on cleaning & exam and toothbrush seems a bit excessive.
get a 3rd opinion. i have a feeling the holistic dentist is going to be very costly and will keep finding more things to fix until you run out of funds. it is possible to get non-amalgam fillings from any dentist. not everyone agrees with wap about root canal procedures... especially since dentistry today is better than it was in the 1930s.

nak
#11 of 12 Old 04-07-2010, 05:22 PM

#12 of 12 Old 04-10-2010, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If your brush is a Sonicaire or something like it, those are $150 ish alone. My comprehensive exam with my family dentist was $800, just the exam - but it took about 2 hours, xrays, etc. I love this dentist for his thoroughness and quality of work, although he's big on fluoride so I don't take my kids there - they have no decay so far. I was going to a medicaid dentist and my fillings hurt badly. He re-examined me and found a HUGE cavity they missed under a filling. I think if you work toward a WAP diet, and what not, it sounds like you have an awesome dentist! Work with him on a payment plan if you can.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page