oral surgery and no breastfeeding after midnight - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-15-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My two year old who nurses thru the night and till we get out of bed is having oral surgery on Wednesday morning and we've been told no food/drink/nursing after midnight the night before. This will be unbelievable traumatic. I've found info on Kellymom, stating that 3-4 hours is safe. Even this would be hard - she nurses most actively between 4am-7am. I just want to be safe.

Any advice or experience?
thanks!

-Sara, working Mom to Fletcher (2003) and Magnolia (2008):, wife to Jim the best SAHD in the world (1999) NVC has changed my life
#2 of 4 Old 03-15-2010, 06:04 PM

Since the risk of vomiting while unconcious is very much there, please think about stating on the safe side. They use midnight as a easy thing to say, you might ask for them for a certian amount of hours. 3-4 seems to be cutting it a bit close. Either way it is just one day and I'm sure you will do your best to keep your LO loved and calm. Good wishes

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#3 of 4 Old 03-15-2010, 06:13 PM

I would have to have a life or death reason to interrupt nursing relationship. oral surgery doesn't do it for me. especially a 2 yo? I would research more on why they think they need to do an oral surgery. I would postpone the surgery appt until you know more and find it to have the benefits outweigh the bad side (which would have to have death in it for me personally), or the LO is older and able to comprehend. teeth are not l or d to me, but i know some others feel differently. i followed dental work on dd1 (not a surgery or anything, this is just as an aside...)and it seriously emotionally scarred her. i use preventative measures now like probiotics to keep up good bacteria, vitamin d daily, water for drinking most of the time, no processed foods, no HFCS, and very little items with white sugar. I will not take dd2 the traditional dentist route.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#4 of 4 Old 03-17-2010, 03:13 AM

Karika, you sure made a lot of assumptions about her situation with that post. You have no idea what the surgery is about and she did not ask if she should have it she asked for advice on their nursing.

Fletchersmama, sending good healthy thoughts to you and your little one, i'm sure however you handle tonight and tomorrow it will be good, you obviously care about your relationship with your child.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page