9.5 mo old with whitish area on newly erupting tooth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son's top front tooth has been growing in for the past couple weeks and there is about 1/16", maybe a little less, of it showing. It looks like there is a brighter white area on the very front part of it, which has me concerned.

He has his two bottom teeth, an incisor and part of his other front tooth that have come in so far and those look normal. I rub his teeth with a washcloth daily, though I have forgotten on occasion.

He is breastfed exclusively and has been getting some pureed food for the past 2.5 mo. though that has been hit or miss.

He also gets 1 ml of Polyvisol with iron in it daily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 06:46 PM

My child has whiter spots on her teeth, too. To me, it looks like those spots are the only places with enamel. Could that be right? She doesn't mind food with different temperatures, and though she hates when I brush her teeth, she loves to play at it herself, so I don't believe she's having pain in her teeth. I haven't been in a hurry to take her to a dentist because she doesn't show pain, but I am thinking I probably should. I'm making sure she gets butter oil from Green Pastures. Since I started that, the white areas have receded. She's 15 months old.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:48 AM

I am SOOO glad to have found this thread. I was just coming to post a very similar thing. DS is 16 months, and he's had whitish spots on all his four front teeth since they were coming in. The pediatrician suggested perhaps it's calcification, and referred me to a dentist. I thought it was dental fluorosis, as I saw a news story about that. The dentist was rude and ignorant and said she thought it was demineralization, the first signs of tooth decay. I think this is BS.

I saw that dentist a month ago. She wants to see me again this week. I was already brushing his teeth once a day, and am now brushing twice a day. It's getting worse. Like pp said, it appears the white is the only enamel. Now, one of his teeth appears to have no enamel left, and is chipped/very jagged on the bottom. I'm very upset, since I've been showing this to dentists/doctors for months.

DS stopped eating solids around his first bday, which may have been because of this, but I thought it was b/c he was teething his molars. His molars don't have this, and none of his bottom teeth have it. he currently has 12 teeth, only 4 have this. I wonder if it's due to an injury before the teeth erupted or something.

Please let me know if there's anything you find out, mamas, and I'll keep you posted on what the dentist says this week.

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)
Old 05-08-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenis View Post
My child has whiter spots on her teeth, too. To me, it looks like those spots are the only places with enamel. Could that be right? She doesn't mind food with different temperatures, and though she hates when I brush her teeth, she loves to play at it herself, so I don't believe she's having pain in her teeth. I haven't been in a hurry to take her to a dentist because she doesn't show pain, but I am thinking I probably should. I'm making sure she gets butter oil from Green Pastures. Since I started that, the white areas have receded. She's 15 months old.
Is there a cheaper alternative to get the same vit/nutrients from butter oil w/o the cost? I've heard great things about butter oil, but also that it's very expensive. We eat good quality cultured butter at home, does that help??

Old 01-12-2011, 01:05 PM

As far as I know, the active ingredient in the butter oil is recognized to come from rapidly growing grass that the cows eat, so it only comes from butter made in the spring or summer.  Green Pastures butter oil, Anchor butter, and Kerrygold butter are some I have had recommended to me.

My daughter's teeth got worse (smaller, and blackening) but still no pain.  And now I see other teeth beginning to break down.  It's alarming, but I am comforted by her lack of pain, and the hardening I see, even in her discolored teeth.  I did notice the downhill slides seemed to happen whenever I ran out of butter oil.  It does appear to be early childhood caries, but the theory that it's caused by too much sugar and no brushing is not borne out by my experience.  How could it be lack of brushing causing the problem when it's the two front teeth that are having the problem? They're the easiest to reach and brush.  Instead, I believe the problem has more to do with diet and ability to use minerals.   I've digested "Cure Tooth Decay" by Ramiel Nagel and have been learning to use bone broths and fish in our diets.  My aim now is to help her teeth stop decaying and form secondary dentin to make them hard and protected.  I keep seeing improvements and backslides alternately. 

We have quit using any sugar, and use fruits and honey sparingly.  Right now we are also no longer using whole grains of any kind because even the whole grains I was soaking seem only to have contributed to the problem. 

Old 01-12-2011, 01:53 PM

DS's four front teeth are disappearing.  Two are totally gone, to the gumline, and the other two are chipping away, though they have a little enamel left, which is what's keeping them going right now. Luckily the decay has stopped, and I'm hoping to repair what we can with diet.

We were using KerryGold butter, but I learned that it's pasteurized, so there is no Vit K, which is the important nutrient for teeth.  So, I'm going to order some Butter Oil from Green Pastures soon.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDSmomma View Post

DS's four front teeth are disappearing.  Two are totally gone, to the gumline, and the other two are chipping away, though they have a little enamel left, which is what's keeping them going right now. Luckily the decay has stopped, and I'm hoping to repair what we can with diet.

We were using KerryGold butter, but I learned that it's pasteurized, so there is no Vit K, which is the important nutrient for teeth.  So, I'm going to order some Butter Oil from Green Pastures soon.

Where did you hear that vit k2 is destroyed by heat? This is not true as far as I have read, and I have done a lot of reading on this. Kerry gold butter is grass fed and very good. Also the butter oil from green pastures I believe is heat treated at some point

Old 01-13-2011, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes from my understanding, k2 is not destroyed by heat. K1 perhaps. Butter oil and butter (even raw was worse for my dd's teeth as she is very allergic to dairy and I had no idea until after I cut it out.

User Tag List