Cavity next to mercury filling- needs removal but breastfeeding. Adivce? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2010, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a cavity that is next to and could be growing underneath a mercury filling. It is on the very back tooth bottom and on the side close to the gums. If I let it sit much more it could mean trouble. So I need the cavity filled and the merc filing taken out.

The problem is, I am breastfeeding a 8 month old and plan on it for a few more years. And the dentist says that he is not going to take any precautions when removing the filling and he sees no harm in it while nursing. I really want to see a different dentist, but I am stuck with him since he is the only one that takes Medicaid around and I cannot afford a different dentist anyway.

What do I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Bump!
Old 04-15-2010, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bluebird- sorry hon, I wish I could help! can you check around for a biological dentist in your area? there is a website that lists them by area. If so, maybe you can contact them and see if they would do a sliding scale, or payment plan or anything like that. I think I am going to a biological dentist soon for the work I need (at least 1 mercury filling needs replaced, +other work) even though we can't afford it. Most of them you have to pay out of pocket anyway, then get reimbursed. I am also nursing DS. Best of luck to you!

One ecological breastfeeding nak.gif om.gif, married to an awesome dh_malesling.GIFintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif treehugger.giffamilybed2.gifecbaby2.gifhomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpgwhale.gif Our family is definitelymaybe complete! hale

Old 04-23-2010, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Bump for any other replies.

Thanks for responding Tara. At the moment we are completely broke and cannot afford another dentist. It would just be a matter of seeing no dentist if this one doesn't work out. Hope it works out for you.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping as the appointment is tomorrow. Any other thoughts? I hope
I am doing this right...
Old 05-09-2010, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

This is the second dental appointment that fell through. Is this a sign? I have a rescheduled appointment for next month, but have decided I am going to work to remineralize the tooth instead and wait till ds is done breastfeeding

I am going to use my teeth as a testing ground:
Old 05-10-2010, 04:46 PM

Interesting about the grass-fed ghee. Have you looked into cell salts as well?

Funny I was going to post to this thread earlier but then saw that it was too late (you were supposed to have already had your appointment). I was going to say that my holistic dentist uses activated charcoal during amalgam removal. Even if you aren't able to afford a dentist who follows the IAOMT protocol for amalgam removal taking the activated charcoal might still really help.

BUT I think your plan to wait until after your dc weans is a better one.

And at the same time you might want to get a quote from a biological dentist and start saving towards a safe removal.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Old 05-14-2010, 03:26 PM

I just found this post. I am not sure if you went ahead or not.

I had this problem too and my dentist thinks mercury amalgam is TOXIC. he refused to touch my deteriorating mercury fillings until my DD was weaned. He thought that when removing the mercury, that I should pump & dump for 3 weeks and that's with a mercury detox supplement. After he said three weeks, he said to come back when she was weaned. The mercury will go through to the breast milk.

This dentist provided a dental dam, oxygen, air vacuum to suck the mercury vapors out and had a mercury collection plate in the room.

Since you are stuck with this dentist and you still want to b/f, do you have access to a breast pump? As much as I hated the idea of pump & dump I had to do it a few times due to meds. If you are pumping, I would look at increasing supply to help build a freezer stash that you could tap while not able to b/f.

I would also look into everything that allows for natural healing, including changes in diet and supplements.

also if you do replace that filling, make sure it is not mercury. It's worth the extra money if you have to pay for the difference.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

User Tag List