Making your own toothpaste? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-03-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did a search & didn't find much on this but please direct me to the thread(s) if I missed them!

I don't want to buy toothpaste anymore. We finally ran out & have been using baking soda the past few days. I think what I'd like to do is make a "paste" from baking soda & water (and maybe sea salt? and perhaps a few drops of EO) but I have a few questions/concerns.

1 - The sodium (in both the baking soda & the salt) -- how much is absorbed through the gums etc.? How healthy is that?

2 - I always heard that baking soda is too corrosive to use on a daily basis... now, I've been trying to research it & have gotten lots of conflicting opinions. Has anyone used it long-term?

3 - How well will baking soda & water mixture store? Actually I just realized we have a mixture like that for our hair & it seems to store fine... so maybe that's not a concern.

I've never had a cavity & don't want to mess that up by making the "wrong" kind of toothpaste!!

ETA: OK now I'm reading about xylitol, maybe we should bypass the baking soda & do that instead? I'm so confused, seems like everything I find is controversial. And is xylitol safe for hypoglycemics?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 7 Old 04-04-2010, 10:48 AM

I've been using the baking soda and sea salt mixture daily for about 5-6 years. No complaints from my dentist.

I know some people make a paste with EO but I just skip that and use the powder form. I think the paste would involve more work and mess and possibly not store as long.

I put xylitol in my powder as well (1 part salt, 1 part xylitol, 2 parts baking soda). I have blood sugar issues and xylitol doesn't bother me.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#3 of 7 Old 04-05-2010, 01:24 PM

I've done a baking soda, coconut oil, peppermint oil mixture before.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#4 of 7 Old 04-07-2010, 04:33 PM

subbing!
#5 of 7 Old 04-07-2010, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

OK I think I have too many options now lol

Baking soda -- My only concern is it being too abrasive
Salt -- I hate saltiness & can it lead to high blood pressure?
Xylitol -- Sounds perfect, I'm just reluctant with things like this, and I don't think anywhere around here sells it!
Castile soap - Anyone use this? Seems like another possible option

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#6 of 7 Old 04-08-2010, 02:25 PM

I use organic coconut oil, baking soda, sea salt, peppermint oil and raw honey.
I never measure it, I just eyeball it, but it's probably something like:

1 TBSP OCO
2 TBSP Baking Soda
A dash of Sea Salt
1 or 2 drops of Peppermint Oil [I just use it for flavoring, you can use any other kind of oil or nothing at all if it suits you]
A dab of honey

Bethanie, Single Mama to Clementine Aislyn born via waterbirth.jpguc.jpg on 11/23/08. Hoping to homeschool.gif We cd.gifsaynovax.gif
#7 of 7 Old 04-12-2010, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We grew up using Arm & hammer baking soda toothpaste when it was basically just minty baking soda - dry - that you poured onto your brush and then wet to brush. No need to pre-wet the ingredients.

If I were making it myself I would probably choose baking soda, 20% xylitol, maybe some sea salt, maybe not, and a few drops of peppermint EO to scent the whole mix.

After watching xylitol save my ds's teeth (and then me stupidly stop it to watch all the decay come back ) I completely love the stuff. Way better than GA.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page