decay on tooth gone? how quickly? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-06-2010, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

About 2 weeks ago (maybe 3, but I really think 2) I noticed a brown spot on one of ds's molars (bottom, second from the back).

I am in ds's mouth regularly to clean it - more than just brushing (I do this while he sleeps) and had not seen it until it caught my eye when he laughed one day. It's possible I just had not been looking for it in the right spot - it was kind of on the back top part of the tooth, but when I saw it I was certain it was a cavity.

I began paying extra attention to that spot, which even felt a bit pitted when I would clean it with a tool. I began to follow ds's meals with a xylitol crunchy probiotic and took extra care to clean that spot every night with his normal tooth care, continued to brush with xylitol toothpaste, and also applied a tiny (very, very tiny) bead of Tom's of Maine toothpaste with fluoride to that spot each night.

I was hoping to arrest or at least slow the decay so that we would not need to treat this tooth right away as ds has MAJOR dentist anxiety. (He actually has anxiety issues in general and sensory defensiveness, so combined the dentist is a HUGE trigger... I suspect he would require anesthesia for pretty much any kind of treatment).

Anyway, over the last week the brown spot was becoming harder to find. The last two nights I took a really good look with a mirror and can't see it at all. Where it was brown is now white, like the rest of his tooth, but sort of more translucent in a way that makes it seem like the enamel there is much thinner.

This definitely seems like a good change, but was so much faster than anything I expected.

My question is, what was that, what happened, and how did it happen so quickly?

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#2 of 5 Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It is definitely possible you were able to stop the decay and it is in the process of remineralizeing. I'm guessing you also removed staining in the pit of the tooth which is good. It sounds like you're totally on top of dental care, but just a reminder I wouldn't stop now

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#3 of 5 Old 04-15-2010, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm still confused about the tooth. I can't figure out why sometimes it is more visible than others. Last night, for the first time in about 3 or 4 days, I found the spot where the decay is more apparent and it still has some brown on it. I think it's much lighter now though and my husband (who has seen many more cavities than I have, but still is no dentist) thinks it looks small. To me it looks like a large amount of tooth has been rotted away, but that the actual spot where the decay seems to be is small...

For now we are just going to continue doing what we are doing and hope that it really is slowing down with all this attention.

#4 of 5 Old 04-15-2010, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Sheesh - I'm even more confused. Last night - no brown. Maybe the brown part is staining that comes and goes where there is old decay, but there is definitely something not right about the tooth. I just wish I could tell whether there was still active decay. Maybe I'll try to take a picture (no idea how I'll get a camera in there, and I don't think the mirror will photograph well).

#5 of 5 Old 04-15-2010, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Honestly, I would probably just take him in to get it looked at if you're confused. We have had staining in the natural pits that comes and goes. We've also had some decay that halted and lightened up, only to come back with a vengeance at some point later. A photo over the internet is probably too hard. You really need to know if the spot is hard or soft.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page