But does not doing flouride cause yellow teeth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-07-2010, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a kid I did the flouride with who has white teeth and no apparent issues (the older one) and then I have the younger one who has all the adult teeth coming in yellow. Same diet (and nothing there that could cause yellow teeth anyway), same dental hygiene, but I didn't do the flouride. I'm getting tempted to do it and a little worried about tooth health without it.
#2 of 8 Old 04-08-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Soltera View Post
I have a kid I did the flouride with who has white teeth and no apparent issues (the older one) and then I have the younger one who has all the adult teeth coming in yellow. Same diet (and nothing there that could cause yellow teeth anyway), same dental hygiene, but I didn't do the flouride. I'm getting tempted to do it and a little worried about tooth health without it.
I did fluoride with my oldest, and her first adult tooth is coming in slightly more yellow than her baby teeth. I have no idea why. She eats well.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#3 of 8 Old 04-12-2010, 10:05 PM

I had lots of fluoride growing up (toothpaste, frequent treatments, not in our water though), and my teeth have always had a yellowish tint. I kind of think it has more to do with genetics. I also suspect (but have nothing to back this up) that yellowish teeth are stronger/less cavity-prone than super white teeth...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 8 Old 04-15-2010, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I think my teeth are actually more white since going off flouride.

Has the younger kid had any medications? Certain medications, even taked for a short period of time, can change tooth color.
#5 of 8 Old 04-15-2010, 04:22 PM

My dentist told me that permanent teeth ARE less white than baby teeth, but of course that doesn't explain the difference between your dc.

wave.gif
#6 of 8 Old 04-15-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
I had lots of fluoride growing up (toothpaste, frequent treatments, not in our water though), and my teeth have always had a yellowish tint. I kind of think it has more to do with genetics. I also suspect (but have nothing to back this up) that yellowish teeth are stronger/less cavity-prone than super white teeth...
Same here. I was told that genetics was the factor in why my teeth are yellow. It's the tissue under the enamel that is yellow so it cannot be brushed or bleached away. I've always used fluoride toothpaste and had regular fluoride treatments as a kid and my permanent teeth have always had a yellowish cast. Bleaching treatments I've done in the past had absolutely no effect on the color. But my teeth have always been healthy, one cavity only in my lifetime and that occured when I was 30 years old.

I've noticed the same with my ds. He is 7 and has lost 3 teeth so far. His baby teeth are pearly white and his permanent teeth are much yellower than the baby teeth.
#7 of 8 Old 04-16-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for responding everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeyZoo View Post
Has the younger kid had any medications? Certain medications, even taked for a short period of time, can change tooth color.
Nope. Not even once. I have to say too that bad breath is also an issue (which is not true with my older one). I guess it's those two things together that worry me and make me tempted to do flouride.
#8 of 8 Old 04-17-2010, 05:31 AM

The bad breath has nothing to do with flouride. He very likely has a bacterial imbalance. Check out the allergies thread if you want to learn more.

Oh, and I had flouride all my life and my teeth came in very yellow. Diet changes and an OTC bleaching kit made them look much better.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page