VERTICAL white lines on front teeth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2004, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been searching the archives, trying to see if anyone knows what I'm seeing. All the "white line" posts are about lines at gumline, which is not what we are experiencing.

My 2 yr old has vertical white lines on the lower 2/3 or his 4 front teeth. We haven't used flouride up until a week ago, and we use it very judiciously and only b/c I'm afraid that it might be some decay or something.

I am very anal about brushing his teeth as he nurses all night. I do a very thorough brushing before he goes to bed and he brushes his teeth himself throughout the day.

Any thoughts?

TIA
Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2004, 11:23 PM

Amy,
It is on of a couple of things. Either Craze lines, which are essentially but not quite carcks in your teeth, nothing to be worried about, OR it could be decalcification, which means as the teeht were developing there was not enough calcium being introduced to your sons diet, this may be a cause for concern, or maybe not it is a natural thing. It is certainly not decay, I would however consult a dentist about it, just to make sure!

Hope this helps,
Paul
Old 03-11-2004, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the response. I'm very glad that I can stop the flouride, he has been swallowing way too much for my comfort.

Question on the calcium. He nurses---constantly, all day and all night, so I would really question the calcium issue--but wouldn't it be on all of his teeth?

Regardless, we need to go to the dentist anyway, but thank you for the heads up on possible issues. Glad to hear it is not decay

Amy
Old 06-08-2005, 07:43 PM

natural calcium stores run out at nine months and much like iron don't transmit well in breast milk. My son has severe decay and I have been reading lots on the topic. if your child is old enough give your son calcium chews with vitamin D they seem to help.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:06 PM

I don't know much about dentistry but is there any chance he had a stuffed up nose and did some mouth breathing? that definitely turns teeth a little whiter in some areas. I am not sure if it would cause streaking though.

Mama to 2 awesome kiddosfencing.gif, 1 dogdog2.gif, 4 catscat.gif, and 6 chickenschicken3.gif.  Occasional dabbler in knittingknit.gif and playing guitarwhistling.giflactivist.gif www.beyondnbirthlactation.com

Old 06-13-2005, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I can't believe this thread has been resurrected :LOL

Anywho, my son is now 3 (almost 3 1/2 : ) and his teeth are in excellent condition. He nurses during the day, but not at night and eats lots of calcium rich foods (mainly kale )

So thanks mamas!! And sorry to hear about Finley's decay

User Tag List