Thanks for your reply rayo de sol! My son is 3.5 years old, so it is likely that his adult tooth would come in around 3 years from now. It feels like a long time, but I know the years will fly by.
Our dentist isn't in a big panic about it right now and says we have a few months to make a decision. According to her, most dentists say the abscess needs to be taken care of "immediately", but she is on the more holistic side. My son isn't in any pain and the abscess is very contained. She says his body is apparently trying to fight the bacteria on its own. She says his tooth is a little loose, but I can't feel that.
We saw our family homeopath over the weekend and she agreed that we aren't in a panic situation as he isn't in pain and it doesn't appear to be growing or bothering him. She gave us a remedy to give him twice per day for the next 2 weeks. If it is the right one for him his body should strengthen to fight the bacteria and his body should absorb the abscess. I am so hopeful that this will happen!
I am so relieved that we have time to see if alternative methods work before we deal with the root canal or extraction decision. I do understand that bacteria in our bodies is not desirable, but I also believe that our society is over scared of bacteria and it causes our systems to have a harder time dealing with them due to lack of exposure. Although, I am trying to get more comfortable with the extraction idea as it is probably the best solution.
Thanks again rayo de sol, I will check out the link!
Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)