First dental post -- please help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-22-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, long ..

My 2yo just went for his first dental appointment yesterday at a strictly pediatric office. The dentist turned up 8 small cavities. (He had a lot of acid reflux for the first year or so of his life due to undiagnosed food intolerances, and got all his teeth in early, so that doesn't surprise me much.)

Here's what I don't get.

Dentist says he has gingivitis. She bases this on the fact that his gums were red and bleeding AFTER she brushed them DIRECTLY with the power brush for a LONG TIME. He has no symptoms of gingivitis. He's borderline anemic and his gums are PALE if anything, never inflamed, swollen, etc. Never once.

This same dentist told me almost in the same breath that breastmilk is "almost as bad for the teeth as juice."

Four of these cavities, also, are right in his front teeth, and I never thought they were cavities. Long story short: he had iron supplements for 3 months, they stained his teeth, the stains went away everywhere but there and in a couple of molars. She says that this is because the enamel was softened (probably due to the reflux -- he got his front teeth in waaaay early so they'd've gotten a nice acid bath several times a day) and then the supplements stained the weakened enamel and made cavities (what).

But those dark areas feel RAISED above the tooth surface, not pitted INTO it.

She wants to fill all these cavities or supposed cavities with no sedation or anything, just strap him down to a board for half an hour and go to while he screams.

This child's face is covered with broken capillary freckles today from the screaming yesterday while she just looked at his mouth for ten minutes. I really don't want to put him through that again with another dentist, but I really REALLY don't want to put him through fillings that aren't necessary.

But if what's going on with his front teeth is something else, I want that dealt with. I thought it was bacterial plaque or something and have been scrubbing at it with baking soda. It hasn't been budging, and it didn't for her yesterday either, so maybe she's right and it's cavities. But his teeth looked perfect before he got the supplements ..

Plus -- gingivitis? Really? She based this on his gums being red/bleeding when brushed directly with a very powerful spinbrush. I think my gums would bleed too.

EDIT: She says the cavities are superficial, not infected, probably not causing him pain. I have no problem with getting them filled if that would help him in the long run, but .. I dunno. Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-22-2010, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Since what could be cavities or the start of could be mild, then I would for sure look into nutrition for helping with the cavities

Also I would get a second opinion before letting the dentist go near your child s teeth again.
#3 of 4 Old 04-26-2010, 03:45 AM

I would get a 2nd opinion!

My brother had "stained" looking front four teeth when he was 2, and it was determined that he didn't have the right amount of enamel on those teeth. They put caps on them and then when the teeth fell out, his permenent teeth turned out to be just fine.

I have no idea if this could be what your child has, but it's a thought.

It doesn't seem right to me that your child would have gingivitis so young? but i don't know..in any case, i vote 2nd opinion
#4 of 4 Old 04-27-2010, 03:30 PM

Get a second opinion. The dentist you described sounds horrible.

Also, if his cavities are superficial, you might want to try healing them through his diet. See the Curing Cavities with Nutrition thread.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page