best choice for filling? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-25-2010, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of my old fillings has fallen out. What is the healthiest/safest thing to fill the old cavity with? The dentist originally said he wanted to use a composite but I wasn't comfortable with that, so we agreed on gold. Is that the best choice?

: Mountain biking mama to one beautiful baby girl, born happily at home 8/26/2008.
Her signature would be: Sleep is for the Weak
#2 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

really? no one has an opinion on this?

: Mountain biking mama to one beautiful baby girl, born happily at home 8/26/2008.
#3 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 02:17 AM

Dunno. I just got 2 regular fillings the other day. I didn't even ask what type.

My sister is a CDA so I sent her a PM.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#4 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 02:25 PM

Ok this is what my sister said. (and bear with me. She talks a lot. lol.) And sorry I forgot to specifically ask about gold. I asked her now. Anyways. Here's what she said:

um it totally depends on which way you look at it.

what is a safe filling? um none :P because drilling in a tooth always risks trauma and upsetting the tooth.
but! it isnt safe to leave a cavity either so the safer option is to fix it.

so a white filling doesnt have any metal in it like the mecury that ppl are so afraid of. the thing about the silver fillings (amalgam) is that dentists like to use it because it doesnt matter if they get saliva on it or the tooth while you fix the tooth so it goes faster and you dont have to worry about it not bonding and needing to do it all over again. amalgam fillings are stronger tho so dentists also like them for that. what amalgam fillings have a tendancy tho to expand. the material overtime expands and goes back to normal, then expands and goes back to normal and so we see a lot of big amalgam fillings come back with cracks in the tooth, and if the crack is big enough it needs an onlay, crown, or extraction (if it is cracked down to the root part where we cant really save it anymore) thats why i dont like amalgam fillings because i think it doesnt matter if it is a good material because the point of a filling is to prevent more damage and if the silver filling can actually cause more damage in the long run it isnt something i would choose.
most ppl are worried about the mecury tho. you are only really exposed to any mecury when the filling is put in and when it is taken out because it is the vapours that get you the most. so i was told i school the only people really at risk is people filling their whole mouths with mecury, the assistants who have to handle the material and the dentists who put it in and carve it etc.
we find we remove them most because patients are unhappy with the look of them.

whereas with white fillings (composite fillings) do not expand at all. they do the opposite. white fillings shrink. so say you get a white filling and in like 10-15 years it shrinks to the point you get more decay because it does what we call "microleakage" ,basically it separates from the tooth. Now this is waaaay easier to fix than a tooth that as cracked from the expansion of a silver filling. because all you need to do to old white fillings then is just clean out the old filling and replace it.
white fillings look better because they are tooth coloured and we can match the shade to the teeth.
the main problem with white fillings is that it has a hard time bonding to the tooth. we have to use a etch, primer and bond to make it stay in the tooth. but if saliva say touches the tooth after we etched it but not bonded it then we need to start over, if saliva touches our uncured filling material we need t start over. so it can take waaay longer because we need to make sure everything is dry so that the filling is bonded properly.
the consequence of a filling not bonded properly is shorter life expectancy. and if it is a front tooth and you like fixed a chip and the bonding failed.... well the material just falls out because thats what holds it together.
it is really cool actually. well to me it is. the etch and primer opens up the tubules in the dentin and then the bond flows in there and when the material goes in it kind of mechanically holds the material in because it is held into the tubules of the dentin. so if that is contaminated with saliva it doesnt work properly.

on the whole most dentists i know just do white ones anyways unless someone asks specifically for amalgam or if insurance doesnt cover it or if a kid is really hard to work on....

next problem: insurance companies. White fillings cost more money..... A lot of insurance companies dont pay for white fillings on back teeth. often they will cover the portion of what an amalgam filling costs on the back teeth and make you pay the difference. just keep that in mind if you get a weird statement of how much to pay. it is a flaw that we dont like about insurance companies because it makes us look bad when we charge them more than they expected. they will pay for white fillings on teeth you can see tho.

so now you know my chapter on composites vs amalgam.

what i tell patients when they come in and ask what to get i usually say that for the most part we do white, most patients dont want to see the filling, and i let them know it takes a bit longer than the silver fillings but you get a better filling. and that often i think makes them feel better when they find out it also cost more. it costs more mostly because it takes more of our time and it has more expensive materials, plus we need like dental dams and stuff to keep it dry. or lots of cotton rolls etc. so ya..

oh white fillings are usually more sensitive after too. if you get sensitivity from fillings a deep white filling might be sensitive for 2-3 weeks after. but! if it is annoying you then you should always go in and get them to like check the bite of it and stuff because a lot of the time you are frozen and so the way you ite together has changed and since u are frozen u cant tell if it is back to normal and when the freezing comes out it will feel really odd and annoying like u got something stuck on your tooth. and if thats the case always always always go get it adjusted because it WONT ever go away on its own okay

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#5 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 02:41 PM

I just had two onlays and one inlay done in November of last year, and I specifically picked gold over porcelain. I know it's not exactly the same as filling, but the reasoning may help. According to my dentist, gold is very similar to enamel in that it's hard enough but has some give to it. Since I grind my teeth when I sleep, there was a greater chance that I could mess up my other teeth if I had porcelain. Also, gold is a non-reactive metal which makes it a safe metal for oral use.

I have had both composite and amalgam fillings. Honestly, the look never made much difference to me, but the texture of the composite always bothered me. The only ones I've ever has issues with are the composite ones. My dentist doesn't use amalgam anymore, so if I need any new fillings, I can only hope that she does a better job than the dentist I saw years ago who did the old ones. I didn't realize that gold was an option for fillings, but I may look into it if I need any after my appt on Thurs

Me: T (32), DH: M (33); (Miss you mom! 1/17/00)
Trying to learn/prep as much as I can in hopes of someday becoming a WAHM!
#6 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 PM

Best choice for fillings are composite fillings. Otherwise, you have to worry about mercury, which is one of the most poisonous substances on earth.

"Gold" fillings and inlays aren't really 100% gold. Ask what other metals are mixed in. Some of them are toxic.

See this site for a list of the safest dental materials: http://livingnetwork.co.za/drclarkne...tal-materials/
#7 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 03:35 PM

My sister answered back about the gold:

gold fillings? are they doing an onlay or an inlay. those are made at a lab and then are cemented in.
im not quite sure why they do it that way. they definitely are more expensive and they fall under the same category of insurance as crowns. i think they do it because the material is much better. gold is very long lasting and it conforms as you bite, like it molds to how you bite instead of being firm. like if you bite into a porcelain crown and it so happens to fracture because it was hit wrong and it would break before it molds, whereas gold will just dent because it does that..

onlays are often used if a tooth is cracked because it holds it together over the cusps.

i find inlays are just for rich people... lol. thats when they drill out like the middle part not including any cusps and replace it with like a gold or porcelain piece to fit. and cement it in. fillings can do the same thing. so i dno why ppl get inlays. rich ppl... :S :P i guess they dont pull away and shrink. but what i have seen happen to them is that the cement breaks loose but thats not all cases but it is a possibility. we just clean it out and cement it back on then... but i had one lady who bit into her gold inlay and tried to get us to cement it back on and it was gold so when she bit it it was all smushed into a different shape!! funny. well.. not funny for her, we had to do it over.

if she doesnt mind gold in her mouth, some ppl love it because they've improved the cost of themselves (seriously... ppl are weird) and some ppl hate it because you can see u had work done if someone analyzes your mouth.

#8 of 13 Old 05-14-2010, 04:50 PM

I'm curious - why are you uncomfortable with composite fillings?

Have you checked with a biologic dentist? You could do more reading here: http://www.iabdm.org/cms/index.php?id=65

I am uncomfortable with any metal in my mouth. The composites do have their own set of foreign materials, but there is something about metal in a wet mouth in an electric body that makes me want to avoid all metal.

My dentist is a bioligic dentist and is 100% against silver/amalgam fillings with personal experience of how much people's health can be improved after the removal of the fillings. Silver fillings outgas when you eat hot food or beverages and also can release vapors every time you chew.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

#9 of 13 Old 05-14-2010, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

I had not heard of biological dentistry...sounds great though! Unfortunately the closest one to me would be about 2 hrs away. I suppose that isn't far in the big picture of taking the very best care of my health that I can, but at this point I am comfortable with the gold filling that I will be getting.

To answer your question about why I'm uncomfortable with the composite: it's plastic. I'm uncomfortable having plastic in my mouth. I really don't trust that, in the long run, they won't find something problematic with every plastic out there.

And, my dentist seems to feel that with the gold filling we will be protecting my tooth much better because of the way it encases the tooth and prevents cracking. Unlike composites, which can create tooth cracks (at least, that is the way I understand it).

Thanks for the info on the biological dentistry!

#10 of 13 Old 05-14-2010, 05:29 PM

From the reading already posted above, the silver amalgam causes the cracks, not the composites.

Since I just found that link, I'll be spending time looking at the other sites listed at the bottom.

I think there will be issues with anything we pick.

both hypnobabies births

#11 of 13 Old 05-14-2010, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

I think you are right: there are pros and cons to every option. Best option: don't get cavities!

#12 of 13 Old 05-14-2010, 06:15 PM

I'd like to read more about using the natural products to heal cavities so I don't have to have any new ones.

I'm looking through the other information and thought this was good discussion on the different options:
http://www.kingtooth.com/files/Filli...ces5-20-05.pdf

I know my dentist had a long list of options from the composite side and I did muscle testing to test for biocompatibility.

I'd be interested in knowing what the gold is mixed with. I know 24ct gold is very soft. Do you know what they mix it with to make it hard?

I just watched this video: http://www.iaomt.org/videos/

both hypnobabies births

#13 of 13 Old 05-14-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

When I asked my dentist, he said that it is 53% 18k gold. He listed off all the other metals. I don't remember what they were. None of them stood out though as being a toxic concern.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page