How often do you get your teeth cleaned/scaled? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 45, and when I was in my teens I went every 12 to 18 months and so did my parents. Now it seems that everyone I know goes every 6 months. I just had a cleaning done and hadn't been there in about 3 years and got supreme heck for it, and so did my 16 year old daughter. It wasn't on purpose, we just never thought of it and it got left too long. Neither of us has any issues whatsoever with our teeth or gums or anything else, we were just told we should NEVER let it go longer than 6 months between cleanings. When I said I don't know if my insurance covers that, I got a lecture on how my insurance doesn't have my best interests in mind, the dentist does. FYI I am in Canada.

What I am wondering is if this 6 month thing is just something for the dentists to make money from, or is it really necessary?? I've always let it go 2-3 years my whole adult life. Am I setting myself up for some horrible mouth problems soon if I don't get my teeth cleaned more frequently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-29-2010, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

So was this just a stupid question, or does no one get their teeth cleaned??
#3 of 12 Old 04-30-2010, 02:22 PM

i clean my teeth every day, prefer not to have metal objects scrape away at my teeth every 6 months or even a year. if i go its to get an x-ray to be sure nothing is going on that im not aware of. i think the 6 month rule of thumb is partial good health concern and partial money scam, but thats me.

a far better cleaning routine is one done daily that includes healthy consumption and not leaving it up to strong/toxic chemicals every night or metal scraping twice a year. ymmv.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. --Jiddu Krishnamurti
#4 of 12 Old 04-30-2010, 02:26 PM

Every 6 months has been the norm since I was a kid.... I've never known the recommendation to be anything less than that, and I'm almost 30. :

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#5 of 12 Old 04-30-2010, 02:35 PM

I have no idea how often teeth where cleaned when I was a child/teen/young adult since we didnt get it done. I have only had mine done once in my life in my mid 20's. The dentist office says every 6 months but I do not think having dental cleanings that much is a good idea I feel it wears the enamel down faster.

DD has had hers cleaned once she is 9 and ds once he is 5. I plan to take them more since ds had some major dental work that needs an eye kept on it but with dd I probably wont have hers done but once a year or less.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 12 Old 04-30-2010, 02:35 PM

I haven't been for a cleaning in over a decade. (I know, I know!)

I have a Waterpik and a Sonicare, and no visible decay. I keep saying I'll go and have that confirmed, but life (and pregnancies) keep happening. No cavities as far as I know, so my motivation is low.

The last time I went, they had to get out the "special tools"and blood was spraying everywhere. I shudder to think about it, and I'm sure that plays a big role in why I'm not super eager to go back.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#7 of 12 Old 05-10-2010, 01:27 PM

I just got my first cleaning in 5 yrs. Did I get a hard time or what??!!!
I went to the dentist because I can see I have a cavity but no pain or sensitivity. I'm pregnant though so thought I should get it sorted.
According to the hygenist, my gums are inflamed and were bleeding alot and really sensitive while she was working.
I'm a bit confused about this because I brush my teeth 2-3 times a day and they don't bleed. Makes me wonder if these vigorous cleanings are any good for my teeth. She wants me to come back every 3 months until I'm 'healed' and then every 6.
She said that apart from that my teeth are great. Whatever that means!

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#8 of 12 Old 05-10-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
Every 6 months has been the norm since I was a kid.... I've never known the recommendation to be anything less than that, and I'm almost 30. :
Same here and my FIL is a dentist. So he's not making any money off of us as we are getting our dental work done for FREE. I enjoy getting my teeth cleaned. My mouth feels SO much better once it's done - I just feel that much healthier, too.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#9 of 12 Old 05-10-2010, 04:26 PM

i remember being told it was once a year, but i got busy, and the last two times went with 2 year intervals. the last dentist told me to come in 6-9 months.

when i had my teeth cleaned last time, 2 years ago, it was a pleasant experience. this time it was absolutely awful. incredibly painful. i alsmost cried (tears). now, hours later, some of my gums feel inflamed and throbbing. i don't know whether it because i didn't go for two years, or had a very rough hygeniest. honeslty, i'm very upset and in pain. and i'm not sure i should be in pain after cleaning, even if it has been 2 years.

i am not convinced going every 6 m is a good idea. i think i will go in a year.
#10 of 12 Old 05-10-2010, 07:50 PM

I think getting a cleaning and a check-up once a year is fine and my dentist agrees. That's what I do.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#11 of 12 Old 05-10-2010, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Every six months since I was little.
#12 of 12 Old 05-10-2010, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Every 6 months...I could go more often (and I want to because my dental hygienist and I really get along well! ) but my insurance covers only every 6 month visits.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page